Setting up the Onkyo 5100, Panasonic PV8 and OPPO 980..Cooler etc

sriramiyer

I have placed an order for the Onkyo 5100 and the Panasonic PV8 and the PV8 will be installed tomorrow and will be receiving the 5100 in 2 - 3 days. I will also be getting an OPPO 980 in 2 weeks.

Now I am looking for advice on setting up the above combination ..which I am hoping to get because all of the above have been highly recommended by various members of this forum :)

a) Do I need to keep a cooler / fan behind the AVR ? I don't have an A/C
b) Do I need to connect the AVR via a voltage stabilizer ? What is the recommended stabilizer model
c) Is it safer for the PV8 to be connected via a stabilizer (think I read a few opinions that this is not required ....want to be sure). There was a thread where there was a recommendation to use 15 Amp switches to which some members responded that 5 Amp switches should be good enough. I didn't get the impression that a sound case for 15 Amp switches was made.. would appreciate advice on this.
d) Advice on satellite TV choice .. Airtel / Reliance / Tata Sky ? Which works well with the PV8 ?
e) Cabling ... this is the most confusing

e-1) Should the OPPO 980 be linked directly to the PV8 via HDMI or connect via the Onkyo 560 .. the AVR is only capable of HDMI video pass through .. no upscaling

e-2) What would be the ideal connection mechanism between OPPO 980 and the Onkyo 560 from an audio standpoint..the AVR cant transmit HD audio

regards
Sriram Iyer

I have placed an order for the Onkyo 5100 and the Panasonic PV8 and the PV8 will be installed tomorrow and will be receiving the 5100 in 2 - 3 days. I will also be getting an OPPO 980 in 2 weeks.

Congrats. Good choices all the way.

a) Do I need to keep a cooler / fan behind the AVR ? I don't have an A/C

I have an A/C, but don't use it all the time anyways. As long as the room is ventilated and a fan running it should be fine as long as you are not going to be using the unit for like hours on end. Mine averages a movie a day i.e. around 2-3 hours a day.

b) Do I need to connect the AVR via a voltage stabilizer ? What is the recommended stabilizer model

It is essential for the AVR and preferable for the others too. Anything between 1KVA to 2KVA should suffice. Check out Unistab, V-Guard.

c) Is it safer for the PV8 to be connected via a stabilizer (think I read a few opinions that this is not required ....want to be sure). There was a thread where there was a recommendation to use 15 Amp switches to which some members responded that 5 Amp switches should be good enough. I didn't get the impression that a sound case for 15 Amp switches was made.. would appreciate advice on this.

Like I said above preferable for TV too to go via stabilizer. 15 amp would be better, but cannot say I have had any problems with 5 amp either.

d) Advice on satellite TV choice .. Airtel / Reliance / Tata Sky ? Which works well with the PV8 ?

Tata Sky or Tata Sky Plus all the way. Their customer service is excellent. Also, you get component video out with the Tata Sky Plus, but its expensive though. Also, audio comes in 2.0 stereo and can go to AVR for much better SQ than on the PV8.

e) Cabling ... this is the most confusing

e-1) Should the OPPO 980 be linked directly to the PV8 via HDMI or connect via the Onkyo 560 .. the AVR is only capable of HDMI video pass through .. no upscaling

e-2) What would be the ideal connection mechanism between OPPO 980 and the Onkyo 560 from an audio standpoint..the AVR cant transmit HD audio

Oppo - Audio to AVR, video to TV. Use digital coaxial, optical or HDMI (for TV obviously HDMI as upscaling works only on that or works best on that).

Ideally Oppo to AVR best would be digital coaxial or optical. Coaxial is better IMHO.

Congrates,

Pls let me know how did you get Oppo980?
I m in search of the same.

Pls.reply.

three options (that i am aware of):-

sound of music (Oppo disti in India), if u are in delhi/ncr.
absolute phase (Oppo dealer), if u are in b'lore.
OppoDigital direct, if u r comfy with it.

i used the third option.

on the voltage stabiliser front, i hav been advised for a CVT rather than a stabiliser. bhurji is the no. 1 in the country.

three options (that i am aware of):-

sound of music (Oppo disti in India), if u are in delhi/ncr.
absolute phase (Oppo dealer), if u are in b'lore.
OppoDigital direct, if u r comfy with it.

i used the third option.

I asked absolute phase,they dont have 980.
What was the total cost of 980?
When I contacted OppoDigital recently,they refused to deliver in India.
How you did?How many days it took?

Thanks.

use the offline order form. i have posted the link in one thread. it took 4 days to reach india from the us.

will need to check the exact price, incl. shipping and customs. however, maybe a little skewed since i took the advantage of average shipping cost of two players, the 980H and the 981HD.

sorta. the customs and shipping costs on the 981HD were higher than the 980H as it is a heavier and costlier player.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back