Settings For Denon AVR 1311

I dont understand.. how can crossover affect how bright a speaker will sound? unless what u mean is that decreasing the crossover will send more low frequency sound to the satellites and hence it will overwhelm the trebele slightly to make it sound less bright..

Ideally satellites are not supposed to be handling lower than 110-120 Hz, 80 is more bookshelf territory.
Hi tirthankar, I beleive most Satelites speakers are designed to handle BASS at 80hz.Satelite speakers have both BASS and tweeter component. Most people recommends the crossover frequency as 80hz for satelite speakers. I think we can keep till 100hz if we need little more highs . Beyond 100 hz the speakers will not have BASS at all and you will be hearing the BASS only from SUB . At this level you might feel sound is flat.
The same anand is feeling in his current setup.
Idea is to send the highfrquency more than 80hz-100hz(with minimum BASS) to satellite and below 80hz to SUB.

Last edited:
Even after connecting through digital coaxial cable r u not getting dolby digtital sound from Tatasky box?.

Haven't yet tried coaxial cable, waiting for TataSky technician to visit my place as I have raised complaint.

If your vocals are not clear then you can increase the SP level settings of the center speaker +2 or +4db in your AMP.

To adjust it properly , Play some movie and keep the volume in the hearing level . Now listen to the dialogs from center speaker. increase the center speaker's sp level until you hear the voice clearly at the same time its well balanced with front speakers sound. Genreally only +2b to +3db increase is recommended.

have done this already, kept center +3dB so vocals are Ok now. But, I have to increase my AVR volume upto 50-60% during movies, is this normal?? or it should be audible with clear vocals with less than 50% volume??

Also placement of the SUB in the room also matters. Go to splevel settings of the SUB now you should be hearing the sound only from SUB. Increase the volume in the AMP to the full level. Now keep changing the position of the SUB in the corner( moving near wall or moving away from wall) until you hear a deep and clear BASS. At the same time make sure it doesnt boom, If it booms move away from wall a little.
Also try adjusting LFE/BASS settings of your SUB. The knobs may be located in the backside of the SUB. Generally its good to keep this settings to 5% to 10%. Keeping more than that will boom.

I have placed my sub in the left corner of my room, placed 4-5" away from the wall (will post picture tonight). I always have to keep sub volume more than 50% to get the bass out of it (I think its bcoz I have low powered sub, 100watt RMS) it gets boomy after 70% so I kept it somewhere between 50-60% level.

I haven't touch source level volume yet, do I have to increase this as well? currently its at 0dB.

Also Try this,

Go to speaker settings of the AMP. Change the speaker type of center channel to - SMALL. Keep the speaker type of front speakers to- LARGE.- It will increase the BASS.
And Subwoofer-Yes.

Tryp adjusting BASS/Terrible settings of your AMP to desired level until you hear a required BASS.

Never tried to, I'll try it tonight.
Sorry, there is no Bass/treble setting in my AVR so can't try out this :(

If your cross over settings is more than 100hz then your highs will be very bright. You may not feel the bass. Keep the cross over settings of the speakers to 100hz and subwoofers crossover to 80hz.

By the way where are you located?

I read somewhere to keep crossover about 100-120hz (for satelite spkrs) so I tried that. Today morning I changed my all crossovers to 100hz and center 120hz, and sub to 100hz.. I can say that the sound was better than earlier inclusing bass.

I am from Pune

thanks very much for your time and really appriciate your help.

I dont understand.. how can crossover affect how bright a speaker will sound? unless what u mean is that decreasing the crossover will send more low frequency sound to the satellites and hence it will overwhelm the trebele slightly to make it sound less bright..
I dont think keeping the crossover too low or setting the speaker to large for satellites is a good idea as that will make them work harder than they are meant to. Ideally satellites are not supposed to be handling lower than 110-120 Hz, 80 is more bookshelf territory.

So the best setting would be 120hz for fronts as well as for center?

edjamesx gave some good pointers about subwoofer placement in the last thread. one thing I would like to add is the best way to arrive at the correct bass setting for the woofer is with some bass heavy music. Set the bypass crossover on subwoofer to "Off" (if any) or set the LPF dial behind the woofer at the right most position.. set the subwoofer channel in the amp to -10 to -11 db (I would say it is better not to set it too high over here) and adjust the gain dial behind the sub till it does not feel like over powering the other frequencies. Then play some thing and experiment with position.

So there is not such recommended/ideal position where LFE volume on the sub should be set at? (in my case I have kept it about 50-60%)

Hi tirthankar, I beleive most Satelites speakers are designed to handle BASS at 80hz.Satelite speakers have both BASS and tweeter component. Most people recommends the crossover frequency as 80hz for satelite speakers. I think we can keep till 100hz if we need little more highs . Beyond 100 hz the speakers will not have BASS at all and you will be hearing the BASS only from SUB . At this level you might feel sound is flat.
The same anand is feeling in his current setup.
Idea is to send the highfrquency more than 80hz-100hz(with minimum BASS) to satellite and below 80hz to SUB.
I agree that satellites have both a driver and a tweeter, but as i understand because of their smaller driver size they dont handle low bass too well, and it is always recommended to route the low frequencies to the subwoofer. Satellite drivers are not full range, more half/midrange, so only the trebles, mids and low mids should be kept for the satellites while the bass is best kept for the sub. It is always better to go as low as possible in the mains, but thats not always possible with satellites.
The reason the sound is appearing flat to Anand is probably because his sub is not setup properly, maybe his sub placement is not right or the gain is too low.
But in the end its his choice, he should explore everything and whatever sounds best to him he should go with that.

iamanand said:
So the best setting would be 120hz for fronts as well as for center?
I have kept mine at 110 Hz, but your satellites may go lower, though I think its tough for satellites to go much below 100 and reproduce it well. You should experiment and see what you like.

iamanand said:
So there is not such recommended/ideal position where LFE volume on the sub should be set at? (in my case I have kept it about 50-60%)
There is no ideal LFE volume, it is hugely influenced by your room shape/size, sub placement, listening position and your taste of bass :)
The reason I said to keep the sub volume low in the amp and control it through the sub is firstly, the amp has a preamplifier, which prepares the subwoofer signal for further amplification by the sub amplifier.. if you make that too high, it will introduce noise and feed a bad signal to the woofer. Its better to send a clear signal to the woofer and then use the subwoofer amplifier to amplify the signal to desired levels.
secondly, controlling the gain via the dial on the woofer is easier than controlling through the amp. :)

Hi,

There is one setting notch bhind the sub which was set to 180 position that I switched to 0 position and now bass became very impressive.. will have to work out on LFE settings from the sub as well as from the AVR.

For now I have set crossover 120hz for all and LFE at 100hz for SW, volume behind the sub is stil at around 60% position. Yesterday, I couldnt try and test other settings as suggested by you & edjamesx. will probabbly do it tonight. Should we keep Center's crossover higher than fronts or lower?

have done this already, kept center +3dB so vocals are Ok now. But, I have to increase my AVR volume upto 50-60% during movies, is this normal?? or it should be audible with clear vocals with less than 50% volume??
If you are able to hear the voice in 50% voulme then it's ok. If you increase center channel speakers level more sound will get dominated with the front speakers. You will be hearing the sound only from center channel. You can leave it like that.
May be you can increase the SPdistance of the center channel to 1 or 2 feet more.
Also Try this,

Go to speaker settings of the AMP. Change the speaker type of center channel to - SMALL. Keep the speaker type of front speakers to- LARGE.- It will increase the BASS.
And Subwoofer-Yes.

Tryp adjusting BASS/Terrible settings of your AMP to desired level until you hear a required BASS.

Sorry, there is no Bass/treble setting in my AVR so can't try out this

Sorry, there is no Bass/treble setting in my AVR so can't try out this :(
Setting the speaker type to "LARGE" send all LFE to to front speakers. So you will be hearing the BASS from front speakers. Generally this is not a good idea for satllite speakers. This is for tower speakers.
Since you lacked always BASS , i suggested you this.
If you are satified with the current settings you can leave it like that.

How come you miss the BASS/Terrible settings in your AMP. All amps will have some basic equaliser.

Hi,

There is one setting notch bhind the sub which was set to 180 position that I switched to 0 position and now bass became very impressive..

that would be the woofer phase control.. missed mentioning that.. :annoyed: completely slipped my mind

For now I have set crossover 120hz for all and LFE at 100hz for SW
do you mean the lpf for lfe on the amp or the knob at the back of the subwoofer?
in either case you are losing the frequency gap between 120 and 100, as the crossover is sending everything below 120 to the sub, but the lpf is rejecting everything above 100.
The lpf should be set equal to or greater than the crossover. If you are talking about the one behind the sub, turn it to extreme right or maximum value to bypass it, or there will be double filtering in the receiver and the sub.

Last edited:
that would be the woofer phase control.. missed mentioning that.. :annoyed: completely slipped my mind

do you mean the lpf for lfe on the amp or the knob at the back of the subwoofer?
in either case you are losing the frequency gap between 120 and 100, as the crossover is sending everything below 120 to the sub, but the lpf is rejecting everything above 100.
The lpf should be set equal to or greater than the crossover. If you are talking about the one behind the sub, turn it to extreme right or maximum value to bypass it, or there will be double filtering in the receiver and the sub.

Its a good practice to max out the LPF knob on the sub woofer so that in principle it accepts all frequencies (upto the limit i.e., say 200-250 Hz) and then set the actual cross over frequency of say 100 Hz in the AVR.

Also, try setting the gain (volume) on the Sub to 50% and then manage the level inside the AVR.

Lastly, it may so happen that your listening position is at a node of a standing wave where amplitude is zero thereby causing some of your bass sounds to be very low. One way of checking that out is to play a steady bass drum pattern and move around the listening position to see if you hear the bass level changing dramatically. There are many threads on this forum on how to tackle standing waves.

How come you miss the BASS/Terrible settings in your AMP. All amps will have some basic equaliser.

I read in the manual that Bass/treble can be turned on with 'Tone' button located on remote, switching this On will enable Bass/treble control but I enabled this but never seen Bass/treble controls in AVR. have to check from where I can control this.

I am learning new things almost in every post, you guys're really great!!
I was not aware of this, I will have to check what all settings I hae done behind the sub (I hope I have not create any mess). There are two knobs, one sets the volume (which I kept near 60%) and another one which is somewhere between 'Normal' stage written there. Will confirm this once I reach home.

Last edited:
The LFE crossover on the AVR sets the crossover for the LFE channel. This is not for the subwoofer output. This is one setting that is best left at its default setting of 120Hz and not touched.

One thing to consider is that surround sound on movies are encoded for playback at a specific reference volume level. The result is that with most movies, you will have to jack up the volume and bear with extremely high volumes during the loud passages, otherwise the dialogues will sound very low and you will strain to hear them. This is a problem for most "home" theaters as owners would typically not want cinema hall volume levels when watching movies at our home at night.

You can increase the center channel's level to bump up the relative volume of dialogues, but it will end up making your system sound unbalanced leading to less than perfect surround sound reproduction. Another option is to use the AVR's night mode, but mostly this ends up sounding way too bad :(

-- no1lives4ever

The LFE crossover on the AVR sets the crossover for the LFE channel. This is not for the subwoofer output. This is one setting that is best left at its default setting of 120Hz and not touched.

-- no1lives4ever

Well. The LFE channel is fed to the sub woofer so we're talking the same thing. And when any speaker is set to 'small' all frequencies below the crossover setting are then added to the LFE channel which then makes it way to the sub woofer. The sub on its part uses its on Low pass filter which essentially passes frequencies below its setting. So if this setting is maxed out, you're in essence using only the LPF (or crossover) of the AVR only.

The LPF on the sub is useful lets say when you are feeding the L+R channels of the AVR to the Sub and the sub then outputs to your L+R speakers. In this scenario the Sub will filter the frequencies below your sub setting and pass the rest to your main speakers.
Regards,
Navin

Well. The LFE channel is fed to the sub woofer so we're talking the same thing. And when any speaker is set to 'small' all frequencies below the crossover setting are then added to the LFE channel which then makes it way to the sub woofer. The sub on its part uses its on Low pass filter which essentially passes frequencies below its setting. So if this setting is maxed out, you're in essence using only the LPF (or crossover) of the AVR only.

The LPF on the sub is useful lets say when you are feeding the L+R channels of the AVR to the Sub and the sub then outputs to your L+R speakers. In this scenario the Sub will filter the frequencies below your sub setting and pass the rest to your main speakers.

Bang on target.. :thumbsup:
well said..

One thing to consider is that surround sound on movies are encoded for playback at a specific reference volume level. The result is that with most movies, you will have to jack up the volume and bear with extremely high volumes during the loud passages, otherwise the dialogues will sound very low and you will strain to hear them. This is a problem for most "home" theaters as owners would typically not want cinema hall volume levels when watching movies at our home at night.

You can increase the center channel's level to bump up the relative volume of dialogues, but it will end up making your system sound unbalanced leading to less than perfect surround sound reproduction. Another option is to use the AVR's night mode, but mostly this ends up sounding way too bad :(

-- no1lives4ever
exactly.. personally I dont like the Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Vol in Audyssey as I felt that it makes the bass muffled. Also I dont think 1311 has Audyssey in it anyway...

Last edited:
Below picture shows rear view of the Subwoofer

iamanand-albums-temp-uploads-picture251-rear-view-sub.jpg

Current settings
Subwoofer level: This got turned while moving sub to capture this photo.. Currently its set to 60%
Subwoofer cut-off frequency: Range is 50Hz to 200Hz.. its set to the same potision as shown in the picture.
On Auto Off: It's On
Phase: This is set to 0 degree.

Settings on AVR
Crossovers: Front, Center & Surround set to 120Hz
LFE (under bass setting): This is also 120Hz.
Settings on the sub as shown in the above image (except subwoofer level, it was accidently turned)

Last edited:

Regards,
Navin

The LFE channel is not the only one that is fed to the subwoofer. When you have a 5.1 system with "small" satellite speakers, the following signals get fed to the sub:

1. the ".1" LFE channel - the LFE crossover is applied to this channel
2. The bass component of the 5 satellite channels after the crossover is applied in the AVR's bass management module.

The bass component of the satellite channels never pass through the LFE crossover of your AVR, only the LFE channel is affected. So in effect you can set your satellite crossovers to 200Hz, your LFE crossover to 80Hz and still end up with the frequencies between 80Hz & 200Hz from your satellite channels on the sub.

As per the encoding standards and THX spec, the LFE low pass filter of your AVR should always be set at 120Hz and not changed.

When using an AVR's bass management and with the AVR driving the sub directly, follow these steps for your AVR's setup:
1. Set speaker size to small/large depending on your speakers, but in general this should be set to small unless you have speakers that can handle frequencies below 40Hz or if you are not using a subwoofer. Setting speakers to small lets the AVR do bass management for those speakers, so rather than small/large, it should perhaps be read as bass managed/unmanaged. Setting floorstanders to small with a cutoff frequency of 80Hz would also ensure that you do not have many issues with bass frequency interference between your floorstanders and your sub.

2. Set the HPF crossover frequency of each speaker based on the frequency response of that speaker. Typically when you are using floorstanding tower speakers with a lower -3db cutoff at around 40Hz, you would set the tower speakers to small & set the cutoff frequency to 40Hz. This will ensure that your sub gets used for frequencies below 40Hz. Unless you are using speakers that are not designed for primary use as satellite speakers, this cutoff frequency should be 80Hz or above. Setting this value to a higher frequency with small speakers may help you get more performance out of your speakers as they will not be overburdened with bass frequencies.

3. Set the LPF cutoff filter on your sub to its max value. This feature is useful only if you are feeding full range output to the sub. Adding this LPF to the AVRs bass management will not help in 99% of the cases.

4. Adjust the levels of your sub & speakers from the AVR. On most AVRs, there is a noise function, which allows you to feed white/pink noise to individual channels so that you can adjust their levels. This method is not very accurate w/o a db meter, but if you spend some time and quickly flip through the channels, you can get a reasonably accurate level matching.

5. Set the speaker distances. Start with a tape measure and measure the distance of your primary listening position from each speaker. Set the AVR to accept distances in the smallest increments and enter values with that level of precision. This is only the first step. For the sub, you may need to play with the phase functions, sub location the sub distance value in the AVR to get a accurate time alignment. To get this step done accurately, you will need to use some calibration tones. In a large number of cases, the sub distance will be quite different from the actual distance after you do the final adjustment. Remember that the distances obtained with the tape measure are only a begining point and that the final figures will depend on various other factors.

6. Set up the EQ for each speaker. This is easily done with a spectrum analyzer, doing it by ear requires a lot of past experience and is best left to the experts.

-- no1lives4ever
PS: Please read through batpig's denon to english dictionary and go through the linked audyssey threads on avsforums. Even if your AVR does not have Audyssey, the linked threads on avsforums will help you understand and clear up these concepts as applied to denon avrs.

The LFE channel is not the only one that is fed to the subwoofer. When you have a 5.1 system with "small" satellite speakers, the following signals get fed to the sub:

so we are on the same page here. The .1 in the 5.1 is indeed a discrete channel that the sound director uses to create Low Frequency Effects (LFE) in a movie. This channel is fed to the sub woofer.

1. the ".1" LFE channel - the LFE crossover is applied to this channel
2. The bass component of the 5 satellite channels after the crossover is applied in the AVR's bass management module.

This is where I am loosing you. There is no cross over in the AVR for the LFE. The LFE channel is supplied 'as is' to the sub woofer and by definition, LFE is generally below 120 Hz.

There is only one crossover setting which applies to bass management. When you set the main speakers set as small, the bass frequencies below the crossover setting is removed from the main channels and 'routed' to the .1 or LFE channel which also carries any intended LFE signals. And since this channel drives the sub, all the bass frequencies from the main channels that are below the crossover setting now make it to the sub woofer.

If your main speaker is large, the main channel will output the full frequency and nothing will be passed to the sub except the LFE. The exception being that if the sub woofer setting is "Main + LFE" then the low frequency below the crossover setting will be be passed on both the main and LFE channels. Onkyo refers this setting as doublebass.

Of course the sub woofer also has its own low pass filter which typically when you max out, makes it redundant.

The bass component of the satellite channels never pass through the LFE crossover of your AVR, only the LFE channel is affected. So in effect you can set your satellite crossovers to 200Hz, your LFE crossover to 80Hz and still end up with the frequencies between 80Hz & 200Hz from your satellite channels on the sub.

As per the encoding standards and THX spec, the LFE low pass filter of your AVR should always be set at 120Hz and not changed.

What you are implying is that there are two crossover settings in the AVR; one for the LFE and the other for the main channels. This is news to me. I do not have this setting on my Denon 2106. Pardon me for my ignorance but I am sure high end systems may have this option but I did not see the utility of it. Can you point me to some literature on this so I can learn this?

When using an AVR's bass management and with the AVR driving the sub directly, follow these steps for your AVR's setup:
1. Set speaker size to small/large depending on your speakers, but in general this should be set to small unless you have speakers that can handle frequencies below 40Hz or if you are not using a subwoofer. Setting speakers to small lets the AVR do bass management for those speakers, so rather than small/large, it should perhaps be read as bass managed/unmanaged. Setting floorstanders to small with a cutoff frequency of 80Hz would also ensure that you do not have many issues with bass frequency interference between your floorstanders and your sub.

2. Set the HPF crossover frequency of each speaker based on the frequency response of that speaker. Typically when you are using floorstanding tower speakers with a lower -3db cutoff at around 40Hz, you would set the tower speakers to small & set the cutoff frequency to 40Hz. This will ensure that your sub gets used for frequencies below 40Hz. Unless you are using speakers that are not designed for primary use as satellite speakers, this cutoff frequency should be 80Hz or above. Setting this value to a higher frequency with small speakers may help you get more performance out of your speakers as they will not be overburdened with bass frequencies.

3. Set the LPF cutoff filter on your sub to its max value. This feature is useful only if you are feeding full range output to the sub. Adding this LPF to the AVRs bass management will not help in 99% of the cases.

4. Adjust the levels of your sub & speakers from the AVR. On most AVRs, there is a noise function, which allows you to feed white/pink noise to individual channels so that you can adjust their levels. This method is not very accurate w/o a db meter, but if you spend some time and quickly flip through the channels, you can get a reasonably accurate level matching.

5. Set the speaker distances. Start with a tape measure and measure the distance of your primary listening position from each speaker. Set the AVR to accept distances in the smallest increments and enter values with that level of precision. This is only the first step. For the sub, you may need to play with the phase functions, sub location the sub distance value in the AVR to get a accurate time alignment. To get this step done accurately, you will need to use some calibration tones. In a large number of cases, the sub distance will be quite different from the actual distance after you do the final adjustment. Remember that the distances obtained with the tape measure are only a begining point and that the final figures will depend on various other factors.

6. Set up the EQ for each speaker. This is easily done with a spectrum analyzer, doing it by ear requires a lot of past experience and is best left to the experts.

-- no1lives4ever
PS: Please read through batpig's denon to english dictionary and go through the linked audyssey threads on avsforums. Even if your AVR does not have Audyssey, the linked threads on avsforums will help you understand and clear up these concepts as applied to denon avrs.

This I wholeheartedly agree. And thanks so much for sharing your views. Its helped me revisit some of the basics of bass management!

ok it does look like there is an LPF setting and a crossover setting on some AVRs. So I was referring to the crossover setting that impacts the bass management on the main channels.
Regards,
Navin

@navinmra, Just to clarify further, on newer denons, there are 2 sets of frequency settings for crossover.:

1. LFE LPF setting - this seems to be missing from your older 2106. On my 1910, this comes under Menu/Manual Setup/Speaker Setup/Bass Setting - This figure needs to be set to 120Hz as per THX & various encoder specs - This will only act as a LPF on the LFE channel and does not affect the actual bass management function done by the AVR.

2. Channel crossover - Set under Menu/Manual Setup/Speaker Setup/Crossovers - This seems to be the only set of crossover settings on your 2106.

-- no1lives4ever

Thanks so much no1lives4ever. Very insightful. Quick question: If you set the LFE crossover to say 60 Hz, and the source content has LFE frequencies above 60Hz, would they be dropped or routed to the main speakers?

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum as I registered today but I have been following some priceless suggestions from the expert members here.

I have recently purchased an AV Receiver recently but not been able to set it properly.

The system comprises of the following:

5.1 AV Receiver - Denon 1311
Front Towers + Surround Speakers - Jamo S 406
Sub woofer - Jamo Sub 200 (I have kept the subwoofer on a thick cloth rug as suggested by the dealer)

May I request the veteran users out here to guide me in setting up the system to perfection?

The system has been set up as follows:

Room Size: 10ft X 10ft
Front Towers: 2.3 Meters from seating position
Centre Speaker:2.5 Meters from seating position
Subwoofer: 2.5 Meters from seating position (Just Behind Right Tower - Front Speaker)
Surround Speakers: 1.0 Meter from seating position

LCD TV: Panasonic 42S20D
Set Top Box (Airtel HD) - Connected it with the TV via HDMI and through coaxial cable with the AV receiver but is optical cable connectin a better option??
Blu Ray Player: Philips BDP7500 - Connected it to the receiver through HDMI.

The HDMI out from the AV receiver is connected with the TV.

This is the current set up. Can there be a better option?

Couple of other specific questions:

1. What is the importance of Phase control & Cut Out control on the sub woofer?
2. At what Hertz should I set each speaker for cross over
3. I have set LFE + Main as the prefered mode for bass management. Should I change it to only LFE?

Would really appreciate your valuable inputs. Finally, its great to be part of this forum. :)

Look forward to a volley of suggestions... :)
- Sudeep

I have recently bought a Denon 1311 AVR and polkAudio RM6750 speaker set. I searched for the optimal settings for this set up on the forum but could not find any. Can you guys suggest some tips for setting up my brand new (and my first too) set up?

Thanks,
Shail

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back