Share your HTPCs/Media Player Horsepower.

^^ Yep if H.265 and 4K rips are not considered, but given that's the future and slowly n slowly most of the rips will be H.265, something with a GT730 will make it more attractive and consumer friendly... :)

Last edited:
Trust me, for a budget of 12K, the HTPC that I built using AMD Athlon 5150 and Asus AM1M-E is VFM.

Yup, very impressive indeed.

Plus the real power of a HTPC/gaming rig, media consumption PC, etc. comes from a powerful GPU... so this budget combo gives even more reason and budget for those interested in upscaling video, etc. to invest in a powerful GPU.

Wonders never cease... I'd never have thought a 12K PC would shoot so high in terms of performance.

Himedia Q10 Pro results for H.265 playback:

jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv - Playable

Himedia Q10 Pro results for H.264 playback:

jellyfish-30-mbps-hd-h264.mkv - Playable
jellyfish-90-mbps-hd-h264_5.0profile.mkv - Playable
jellyfish-110-mbps-hd-h264.mkv - Playable
Jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264.mkv - Playable

Is there someone who checked the same on Intel NUC DN2820FYKH???

It has a 5.1 Channel pass-through issue. Has anyone resolved it?

I face a Stutter issue when I play file HEVC file of H.265. All the players have the issue.

Last edited:
UPDATE *** Did any one know that official Kodi as of now is not capable of Hardware Accleration as far as HEVC goes, *** so if anyone is using Kodi Jarvis build, and cannot play H.265 or see 100% CPU utilization while playing H.265 means no Hardware Acc. This was a little bit shocker for me. So people testing HEVC if not able to play the file with a card of feature set E (GM107), blame it on Kodi as it cannot offload processing on the GPU.

The Millhouse build is suppose to support HA, I will test and report, since my GTX 660 should be able to play H.265 successfully, which it didnt, since all processing was been done by my poor C2D ... :)

Last edited:
UPDATE *** Did any one know that official Kodi as of now is not capable of Hardware Accleration as far as HEVC goes, *** so if anyone is using Kodi Jarvis build, and cannot play H.265 or see 100% CPU utilization while playing H.265 means no Hardware Acc. This was a little bit shocker for me. So people testing HEVC if not able to play the file with a card of feature set E (GM107), blame it on Kodi as it cannot offload processing on the GPU.

The Millhouse build is suppose to support HA, I will test and report, since my GTX 660 should be able to play H.265 successfully, which it didnt, since all processing was been done by my poor C2D ... :)

Is this an issue introduced in Jarvis as I am still in Isengard.

Will check it out over the weekend. I'm on Jarvis 16.1. But I don't use Kodi for local streaming... prefer to use NAS and PP for that. Kodi and Roku are for online streaming, live TV, IPTV, etc. and most of those are limited to AAC audio anyways.

4LyuV4y.png

Is this an issue introduced in Jarvis as I am still in Isengard.

No I dont think HA is a part of any Kodi build as of now. I did a little research and someone said jarvis windows bild has limited support, so I installed windows and then kodi and ran the test files again on my NUC 2820 and I could not see any difference, HEVC files were stuttring and the CPU was 100%, so not sure what the news actually meant.

Last edited:
*** UPDATE can some one perform a quick simple test for me .....if anyone has any one the the below GPUs,,

GT 710, GT 720, GT 730M, GT 735M, GT 740M ...or any GTX series will do as well.(except 4 and 5 series)

I want you to run the HEVC and 10BIT HEVC in windows BUT NOT via Kodi. Run using potplayer or MPC HC and see if you are able to play the file. Then try with kodi on windows and see if that plays ........ then report...

Thanks

Last edited:
*** UPDATE can some one perform a quick simple test for me .....if anyone has any one the the below GPUs,,

GT 710, GT 720, GT 730M, GT 735M, GT 740M ...or any GTX series will do as well.(except 4 and 5 series)

I want you to run the HEVC and 10BIT HEVC in windows BUT NOT via Kodi. Run using potplayer or MPC HC and see if you are able to play the file. Then try with kodi on windows and see if that plays ........ then report...

Thanks

I've an older i7 (2nd gen) and GT 730 (not sure of the M) on it and HEVC plays fine on PP. But only when decoding by FFmpeg and LAV. CUDA does not handle 10-bit. This is all in PP. Tested a while back and plays perfectly fine.

Will test with Kodi and update later.

Got a GTX 1070 yesterday and just gave it the beans - 10 bit 400 mbps HEVC plays smooth as silk.

1070 is a super elite 40K card ....:D If that wont play, what else would lol :D
BTW what was your test build. i3? Also is this under Kodi? if yes I would be surprised, again if under kodi can you check your CPU/GPU utilization?

If not in kodi then what player did you use to perform the test?

Thanks for the inputs though.

Thanks

I've an older i7 (2nd gen) and GT 730 (not sure of the M) on it and HEVC plays fine on PP. But only when decoding by FFmpeg and LAV. CUDA does not handle 10-bit. This is all in PP. Tested a while back and plays perfectly fine.

Will test with Kodi and update later.

Tested with Kodi (latest version) and it works. HEVC/H.265 10-bit plays fine, no stuttering, no lag, and no issues.

H/W - i7 2600K, GT730, 16GB RAM.

Tested with Kodi (latest version) and it works. HEVC/H.265 10-bit plays fine, no stuttering, no lag, and no issues.

H/W - i7 2600K, GT730, 16GB RAM.

whats the CPU and GPU utilization when you play H.265 on Kodi (on i7). While the video is playing press o (alphabet) on the keyboard to get the statistics ....

whats the CPU and GPU utilization when you play H.265 on Kodi (on i7). While the video is playing press o (alphabet) on the keyboard to get the statistics ....

Posting the image grab.

HEVC.png

Task Manager shows Kodi at 11-15% CPU and around 260MB RAM.

^^ yep thats CPU doing the work, try 4K HEVC around 200mbps and then check ..

1070 is a super elite 40K card ....:D If that wont play, what else would lol :D
BTW what was your test build. i3? Also is this under Kodi? if yes I would be surprised, again if under kodi can you check your CPU/GPU utilization?

If not in kodi then what player did you use to perform the test?

Thanks for the inputs though.

It was an i5 4690 with 16 gigs running mpc-hc with madvr output.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back