Sharing A Folder On Synology NAS

terrible

Though I own a DS916+ I am a complete noob when it comes to networking. I am learning on the fly as requirement crops. Currently my NAS serves my entertainment needs in the house and seldom outside home through Quickconnect. I own a small film production company and would like my finance guy to access this NAS for book-keeping.

Now, I have created a new user account for him, as well as a new shared folder, and has access to this folder and nothing else on the NAS. Now in this current setup, he can access files if I was to put any through the internal network at home. The question is how does he put files in this folder? This account on NAS has been created for him to behave as a secure storage. Would be nice to get some suggestions on this.

PS: If this requires that I port forward my NAS, I am unable to do so. The last resort left is to pick my conversation with sam on another thread, which I will do as I have sometime now. I will also try the 'Layer 2 Switch Trick' I discovered on the net, provided I truly understand what it is.

Ok there are a couple of ways you can do this, but before that, I would like to ask, I think you did manage to be able port fw,....right!,... coz I read in that other thread you mentioned that you were able to port fw plex port 32400 and managed to access it from outside. ??

Now coming to your issue, is book keeping is the only reason you want the acess to be provided. I am thinking an alternativve solution that would be easy to setup. Use google drive. Create a folder, and share it with him (assuming he has a google account if he does not create one for him).

Now install cloud sync on Synology and add the service Google Drive. Provide the credentials. Synology will ask you which folders you want to sync,(from google drive) choose the one you created for you finance guy, and also select the local share drive you created on Synology. Also make sure it's bidirectional. This way all your finance guy needs to do is to work on a document and save it to your google drive folder you created and shared with him. This will autosync with your synology shared drive. That share drive I am assuming will be mapped to your local windows machine.
So all you need to do is open that drive from explorer, as normally you do with other drive and all documents will be there. Also since its bidirectional, what ever edit you do on the documents will reflect back to Google Drive, and your finance guy will always have the updated version and vice versa.
(I have the same setup, just in more detail, and works perfectly)

Other solution involves port fw or quick connect. Open file station, go to the share drive you created right click on the folder and choose share and copy the link. If you have setup DDNS correctly it will create a link for the same, and you can share it with your finance guy to work with. You can set up security from the page for the link you just created.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back