Shifting to Secunderabad - pointers on best places to live

sgautam

Dear Hyderabad FMs,

I shifted jobs and am posted at Hyd. Office is near Paradise, am looking for 2 bedroom apartment options. I hate to travel long distances to reach home and am ready to pay a premium for that.

Many have suggested West Marredpally and Vikrampuri etc for decent conditions and proximity. However after going around I felt that the colonies are mostly congested for my liking and completely concrete.

I like some greenery and open locations with good ventilation etc. I would be grateful if someone can suggest locations or apartments in 7-8 km range. My budget is around 15k for 2 bedroom. Can go up to 1/2 k more if it's really good.

Kindly help I am ready to shift now

Thanks a ton

Sent from my CP8676_I02 using Tapatalk

Hi Hydrovac, thanks a lot. That area never came up in my search. Will surely check out there.

Hi thanks, Kompally might be a bit far for me, but don't know about sainikpuri. Will include in my list.

if you want a lot of green space, the yapral is very good. touches the cantonment area and not too much traffic reaching there. though it is a bit of a distance to paradise - about 10 km. will take you about 20-30 min by car, depending on traffic

I shifted jobs and am posted at Hyd. Office is near Paradise, am looking for 2 bedroom apartment options. I hate to travel long distances to reach home and am ready to pay a premium for that.

I've lived in Secunderabad for about 15 years, and would have never thought I'd move out. A variety of reasons, including the ghastly traffic ensured that.

I see what you say about travel, but the MMTS makes for instance Lingampally - James Street a breeze. So you could consider BHEL, nothing greener than that ! Also quieter if you want to listen to your music

ciao
gr
/who misses Secunderabad so much it is an ache

Thanks a lot friends for chipping in. I went around Sainikpuri, Dairy Farm road and RK Puram. Liked all the locations, however I found decent options in RK Puram near the Malkajgiri flyover. No water supply issues and lots of green spaces courtesy the AOC. However I have time till mid June, so will scout further.

Sound_Cycle: since I am in marketing I need to lug my car around so staying more than 10km away will be painful as you said. MMTS is not an option for me.

Sound_Cycle: since I am in marketing I need to lug my car around so staying more than 10km away will be painful as you said. MMTS is not an option for me.

From where I stayed (near Nartaki) I had to cross Ratnaiah petrol pump (close to RK puram flyover) at least twice daily. Used to avoid and try to access the city through the MDF road/ Suchitra. (I understand that is also horribly clogged these days)

That is not as bad as some other parts of the city (I know that after having moved out) but was all mind numbingly painfully slow.

I ditched driving (after I discovered the sublime joys of driving rush hour RC puram to Balanagar) for cycling (hence the id :p).

The past few months it is MMTS zindabad. Traffic and the roads in this city make commuting really maddeningly frustrating. Ola zindabad if I have to get where the MMTS does not go.

ciao
gr

sainikpuri is a nice place as well. pretty green and mostly residential except for the main road. look around defence colony towards the high tension road. mahindra hills is also really good, but difficult to find apartments there. gunrock is a good option as well. but for greenery and open space nothing like yapral. look at golf links apartments. or gk royal habitat

Someone suggested Airlines Colony. I think that is very close to Rasoolpura X Road and quite close to Paradise.

Some other nice places are:

1. Gurumurthy Colony which can be accessed from road besides Shoppers Stop.
2. Prakashnagar, which has to be accessed via road short of Airport.
3. East Marredpally Colony opposite to St. Ann's School.
4. Gun Rock Enclave (Opposite to Secunderabad Club)
5. Some parts of Sikh Village (Behind Gun Rock Enclave)
6. Some parts of Mudfort Area.
7. Some parts of Padmarao Nagar Colony (ahead of Secunderabad Railway Station)

You may check them out too.

Last edited:
Sainikpuri is a nice place as well. pretty green and mostly residential except for the main road.

I felt miserable looking at the state of the Main Road when I visited recently. Even the internal roads were riddled with potholes. The slide in standards is quite indicative that the Colony maintenance has fallen into unscrupulous hands. The old timers have probably gone quite old and would've handed over the Colony maintenance to the next generation who naturally have better things to do than keep the Colony pristine.

I felt miserable looking at the state of the Main Road when I visited recently. Even the internal roads were riddled with potholes. The slide in standards is quite indicative that the Colony maintenance has fallen into unscrupulous hands. The old timers have probably gone quite old and would've handed over the Colony maintenance to the next generation who naturally have better things to do than keep the Colony pristine.

roads are now under the municipal corporation and there have been a lot of underground pipe works in that area. and as with the case in india, the road never gets done after the digging. currently huge issues with roads in sainikpuri. needs a concerted effort from the local mla to get it back to standard

roads are now under the municipal corporation and there have been a lot of underground pipe works in that area. and as with the case in india, the road never gets done after the digging. currently huge issues with roads in sainikpuri. needs a concerted effort from the local mla to get it back to standard

Roads were always under Municipal Corporation's control; right from the beginning. If you remember, it was the first colony that came up. Later when the lands behind it sprung up and their developers aligned their colony roads to that of Sainikpuri, the latter's Association sought to prevent access through their colony. The case went to court and the ruling came that once a colony is made, all the roads come into the control of the Municipal Corporation. Even then, they managed to keep the roads in top condition with close liaison with the Municipal authorities.

Yes the main road is in shambles due to pipeline work but it is disconcerting to note that the other internal roads are not so great either. I guess the rot has set in.

One of the reasons for poor maintenance as stated by a retired army officer in Sainikpuri is that the GHMC is not kindly inclined towards Sainikpuri area. Retired armed forces officers staying in their own houses are exempted from paying the annual house tax. The GHMC are required to apply the Central Govt. for collection of house tax. GHMC would prefer to collect directly from the house owner than apply to the Central Govt. Hence the step motherly treatment towards Sainikpuri colony.

Back