Shindo Aurieges MM preamplifier

Sushant Sharma

Having seen the SHINDO Laboratories equipment on multiple internet pages and the glowing positive reviews, it seemed like another beautiful object of desire. Then an advert popped up for the Shindo Aurieges MM preamplifier, and i shot a message to the seller. Multiple rounds of conversations followed over the next few weeks. First time, the conversation didn't go nowhere and I thought to myself its way out of my budget anyways and abandoned the idea. The fourth time or was it the fifth time, we had a deal. The deed was done.

BUYER REMORSE KICK IN EARLY?

Now, i started to think about all else I had read, "complete shindo gear only", "system synergy" "impedance mismatch" and so on. The worry that one piece of gear isn't going to elevate the listening experience and would make it a very expensive punt.

THE AURIEGES

My unit is single chassis and a newer model of the Aurieges made well after the passing of Ken Shindo. The front plate is black and all other sides on the chassis are the Shindo bottle green colour (so wish the front was also bottle green too). The unit arrived and it was spanking new and scratchless with a sheen as promised. The two big gold pots for volume and selector switch in the front and the Shindo logo with the words "sound create producer" ( unusual choice of words that). The build quality and the attention to detail in the making of it, is immaculate. I could just stare it at for hours. The seller forgot to send me the stock power cable and is now sending it.

THIS BOTTLE GREEN CONCOCTION IS HEADY

The usual things you will read up on the Shindo sound are that it doesn't concentrate on any hifi gimmicks and just makes music sound good. What does that mean exactly? Too vague a definition and leaves things in the realm of je na sais quoi.

Once I plugged it on, in my system, the fear of impedance mismatch was done away with ( a buffer in the output, i was told) and I had sweet sound. Cannot use the MM output yet as my cart is MC. Will need a SUT.
After having listened to it for a few days, i can propagate that cliched statement, "it makes music sound great". Everything sounds clearer , crisper and bigger and most importantly very very enjoyable. Sometimes there are details in the music that pop up that I haven't heard before on familiar tracks. Overall, there is a drive and enjoyment to music that i am thoroughly loving. My apologies in not being able to be too descriptive of the sound.
Sitting tight with this preamp and very happy to have gone ahead and made this purchase.IMG_20220701_165748_compress9.jpgIMG_20220701_140935_compress67.jpg

Having seen the SHINDO Laboratories equipment on multiple internet pages and the glowing positive reviews, it seemed like another beautiful object of desire. Then an advert popped up for the Shindo Aurieges MM preamplifier, and i shot a message to the seller. Multiple rounds of conversations followed over the next few weeks. First time, the conversation didn't go nowhere and I thought to myself its way out of my budget anyways and abandoned the idea. The fourth time or was it the fifth time, we had a deal. The deed was done.

BUYER REMORSE KICK IN EARLY?

Now, i started to think about all else I had read, "complete shindo gear only", "system synergy" "impedance mismatch" and so on. The worry that one piece of gear isn't going to elevate the listening experience and would make it a very expensive punt.

THE AURIEGES

My unit is single chassis and a newer model of the Aurieges made well after the passing of Ken Shindo. The front plate is black and all other sides on the chassis are the Shindo bottle green colour (so wish the front was also bottle green too). The unit arrived and it was spanking new and scratchless with a sheen as promised. The two big gold pots for volume and selector switch in the front and the Shindo logo with the words "sound create producer" ( unusual choice of words that). The build quality and the attention to detail in the making of it, is immaculate. I could just stare it at for hours. The seller forgot to send me the stock power cable and is now sending it.

THIS BOTTLE GREEN CONCOCTION IS HEADY

The usual things you will read up on the Shindo sound are that it doesn't concentrate on any hifi gimmicks and just makes music sound good. What does that mean exactly? Too vague a definition and leaves things in the realm of je na sais quoi.

Once I plugged it on, in my system, the fear of impedance mismatch was done away with ( a buffer in the output, i was told) and I had sweet sound. Cannot use the MM output yet as my cart is MC. Will need a SUT.
After having listened to it for a few days, i can propagate that cliched statement, "it makes music sound great". Everything sounds clearer , crisper and bigger and most importantly very very enjoyable. Sometimes there are details in the music that pop up that I haven't heard before on familiar tracks. Overall, there is a drive and enjoyment to music that i am thoroughly loving. My apologies in not being able to be too descriptive of the sound.
Sitting tight with this preamp and very happy to have gone ahead and made this purchase.View attachment 70470View attachment 70469
Congratulations Sushant! That looks gorgeous and must sound like that too.

Thanks Kishore. Yes it looks killer. I assure you it looks better in person than the photos i posted. Life is good when plans come together so beautifully. Very happy with it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Great that it worked out Sushant. That audio leap is indeed a scary one! And sometimes it is the gods of synergy just smiling down on you!!

Enjoy the hifi and the music too!!

A wonderful Sushant statement paraphrased: music - a set of sounds that we use to evaluate our hifi! :)

Great that it worked out Sushant. That audio leap is indeed a scary one! And sometimes it is the gods of synergy just smiling down on you!!

Enjoy the hifi and the music too!!

A wonderful Sushant statement paraphrased: music - a set of sounds that we use to evaluate our hifi! :)
Vivek, yes thank God for little mercies. Regarding that statement, pretty sure it was coined before I uttered those words. With those words, one is initiated into the all consuming world of hifi and tweaking. ;)

Congratulations Sushant! That looks so gorgeous! I believe you when you say you could stare at it for hours :)
Thanks Jayant! :)

Congrats Sushant. Shindo sound is very addictive. Whenever you can, upgrade to a Shindo power amp. Their pre power work best as a combo. Also try use their power cords and ic only. Belden 9497 is the speaker cable they recommend.

Congrats Sushant. Shindo sound is very addictive. Whenever you can, upgrade to a Shindo power amp. Their pre power work best as a combo. Also try use their power cords and ic only. Belden 9497 is the speaker cable they recommend.
Who knows, in time :) Will try and get my hands on the belden 9497 speaker cable. Very useful info, appreciate it. Thanks Prem.

Fantastic preamp Sushant! Congratulations!

Thanks Nikhil!

What a fantastic deal, Sushant! As the Guinness tagline say, ‘Good things come to those who… wait!’ :)
Art Dudley of Stereophile used to be a big fan of Shindo gear, and has written extensively about their products. I’m sure a google search will throw up some interesting upgrade options for you.
Happy listening!

All I can say is Wow ! and congratulations. A Shindo Preamp is perhaps an end state in very often ( unless you move up the chain) for those who get addicted to the harmonic richness a shindo provides

They do wonderfully with SUTs so do chose that well and match it to the cart(s) you use.

Shindo in the house! What a piece of audio history. You must feel proud. Path is now set for a complete shindo setup :)
Thanks Jenson. There is/are FMs here who had previously the same Aurieges preamp (but the 2 chassis older model) but yes I am very happy. Am glad there are a few folks who match the Shindo pre to non shindo amps.
What a fantastic deal, Sushant! As the Guinness tagline say, ‘Good things come to those who… wait!’ :)
Art Dudley of Stereophile used to be a big fan of Shindo gear, and has written extensively about their products. I’m sure a google search will throw up some interesting upgrade options for you.
Happy listening!
Yes Coaltrain, this time that's exactly the mindset i was in, 'it happens if it happens'.:) I have mostly read and watched everything on the Shindo on the internet prior to and while I was waiting for the pre to arrive.:) Ken Micallef is a big fan too. Thanks.

All I can say is Wow ! and congratulations. A Shindo Preamp is perhaps an end state in very often ( unless you move up the chain) for those who get addicted to the harmonic richness a shindo provides

They do wonderfully with SUTs so do chose that well and match it to the cart(s) you use.
Thanks Arj. I see Auditorium 23 to be a popular SUT match. They have different models under that name which match either the Denon 103s or the SPUs. Also the same company is a popular cable choice. I am happy to enjoy the music right now. No upgrades in the immediate future.

Thanks Arj. I see Auditorium 23 to be a popular SUT match. They have different models under that name which match either the Denon 103s or the SPUs. Also the same company is a popular cable choice. I am happy to enjoy the music right now. No upgrades in the immediate future.

You should match the SUT to the cart you use. eg with Denon 103 there are many which good ones, ideally the denon SUT itself is very good . the Auditorium 23 is really expensive.
With an Ortofon SPU better to look at an ortofon SUT

Last edited:

"Harmonic richness" yes. That sounds apt and were the words i was looking for. Thanks

MM vs MC is another one of those debates. For Schick , especially the 12" being a heavy tonearm a DL103 or a Ortofon SPU are the best in terms of synergy and for those an SUT will be needed

Usually A lighter tonearm is better for MM..but again its not that an MM cannot be used with it. I have used a Decca and an Empire cartridge with pretty good results.

Thanks Arj. Also, you think it would be better to use a MM cart (compatible with the Schick tonearm) and go straight to the phono of the Aurieges eliminating the need for a SUT. Any sonic benefits this way in your experience?
Iam no expert at this sushant, but I've been reliably told that for low gain MC carts, cart+SUT is the way to go.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back