Shipping/carrying speaker overseas while relocating

soulforged

Hi,

Some of you might have seen my sale thread on account of the impending relocation. While everything is up for sale I am also mulling, in parallel, of carrying some of my beloved equipment with me. while most are small and can be easily carried, my main concern are my Harbeths.

Looking for some pointers on how I should transfer them. Should I get wooden crates made for them and ship it along with other household goods? Should I, for 'extra' security, carry them with me on the flight? What kind of expenses would I be looking at? Will I have customs issues on the other side?

Any thoughts are welcome :confused:

when i returned, i was told that shipping electronics, especially high value items via cargo is not recommended - that i should carry them with me, and send all the household junk via cargo

Don't carry coal to Newcastle !
Sell everything except small things. Your shipping cost for the speakers will bring up the total cost ( plus worry and headache and other issues) to probably more than what you can get it there . Or even better stuff . You can buy used speakers which is always a good thing if they are in decent condition. If used for 2 to 5 years it's even better. It will be well run in and you get it much cheaper than new !
All mechanical systems, DVD player etc with rotary parts better be dumped and buy new. Carry only electronics. Put all your music on a hard drive and leave the discs, CD, DVD and vinyl behind in safe storage somewhere unless you don't plan to ever come back !

If you are out for 2 to 3 years or more you can bring back everything easily as it will be a transfer of residence. Duty on everything is very low or non existent. Cargo shipping is fine as long as it's packed well. That isn't really an issue. Pick a good company. Most people use up a whole 20 foot container or share it with someone else.
Have fun ! BUILD UP YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION more than anything else ! Buy up ALL the old generation music you love . You should get these at various sales or weekend sales. For your CORE stereo system buy good slightly used systems at fantastic prices. Keep the money saved for your music collection !

Remember that unexpected failure of systems take place within 6 months of purchase. If it works well for 2 years or more it most likely will be OK for a long time. So slightly used systems is a great way to overcome the danger of 'unexpected failure'. It does not mean that nothing will fail if used slightly. But you will be beyond the 'inherent failure' region for that system. Just a suggestion ! You should do what makes you feel comfortable.
My speakers bought new took 2 years to really sound good . I did upgrade the crossover components ( better parts not value change ) after 1 1/2 years. It isn't the best speaker available but it sounds great and I'll never sell it even if I buy something else ! It's now 14years old ! I know it so well ( including it's small flaws!) I can almost talk to it ! :)

Last edited:
I saw your list of equipment for sale.
I was interested in the servo stabiliser . I can't post on your 'sale' page. Something appears to be wrong. It says that I can't 'post messages there'. Not sure what is wrong.
Send me a PM by clicking on my user name.
Thanks.

Thanks Fantastic, you make a few good points and I do agree with you. However with the SHL5 we've kind of built an emotional attachment and my wife is dead set against selling it even when I say I'll buy another Harbeth over there. While I've put it up for sale at, what I believe, is a reasonable price, I've got a couple of requests to lower it further...at some point I'd need to weight losing more money and sell it here or spend that money to carry it along.

I saw your list of equipment for sale.
I was interested in the servo stabiliser . I can't post on your 'sale' page. Something appears to be wrong. It says that I can't 'post messages there'. Not sure what is wrong.
Send me a PM by clicking on my user name.
Thanks.

I think replying on sale threads have been blocked for quite some time now. If you are interested in any of my offerings, please PM me.

I carried my 14x2kg Bookshelves from the US to India in 2 suitcases :D But in your case I think crates / boxes might be the best solution, if you have the original packaging putting that into an even bigger box / crate would be the best.

Where are you relocating Sir?

Some place in US panditji :)

I carried my 14x2kg Bookshelves from the US to India in 2 suitcases :D But in your case I think crates / boxes might be the best solution, if you have the original packaging putting that into an even bigger box / crate would be the best.

In my case it's going to be the reverse direction. I am thinking of taking a pallet or double box them in wooden crates...

No point carrying them... You can easily get a pair of the same anytime in the US at roughly the same cost you are selling here.... Not worth the hassle...Plus there will be tons of other stuff that you can audition and buy there and if you still don't find anything as good, the new SHL5+ is always there as an option...

I would recommend that you sell everything and relocate with a free hand. I am sure you will get better things (meaning speakers, amp) etc at better prices. As already said above, the hassle of shipping, crating and other costs will negate whatever perceived benefit you see in your system.

Kindly do not have any sentiments here. It would work out costly, time consuming and nerve wracking to do all the shipping and crating. As my wife, says do not have over sentiments in things which can be re-bought, especially as you are going to the land of the free (in terms of electronics and speakers etc). Having extra funds on landing in a new land (Here the US) never hurts.

I have learned my lesson the hard way and hope that you do not have to learn this one.

In Bangalore parlance "Ella sale mad budi"! (Sell everything!).

Last edited:
Hi,

Some of you might have seen my sale thread on account of the impending relocation. While everything is up for sale I am also mulling, in parallel, of carrying some of my beloved equipment with me. while most are small and can be easily carried, my main concern are my Harbeths.

Looking for some pointers on how I should transfer them. Should I get wooden crates made for them and ship it along with other household goods? Should I, for 'extra' security, carry them with me on the flight? What kind of expenses would I be looking at? Will I have customs issues on the other side?

Any thoughts are welcome :confused:

Sell all the electronics.
Taking them to the US means hunting for voltage converters. Unlike in India, the market for converters is small, so costs could add up.
The Harbeths are a tough call, especially if you saved up for a while before you bought them. You will get all kinds of brands in the US, so my gut feel is sell them at a good price and be done with it.

Cheers,
Raghu

It all depends on how long you are away. If for ever, then surely everything should go. There are better speakers than your Harbeth ! You don't have to get one the day you land there. Buying good hi-fi equipment in a hurry is the wrong way to do it.
Remember that memory will play tricks. You might end up saying that your Harbeth's did sound better ! But I feel it's not worth the effort carrying it there.
Check out the US web sites for used Harbeth's and see how much they cost and then make an informed decision.
If the US price is just a bit less than your cost plus shipping , then carry the Harbeth with you ! :) Remember your only investment now is shipping. What has been spent cannot be got back . To buy a new one you will have to add a lot ! Your wife may not be happy with a used one. If you both like it so much ,it's like leaving your kid behind ! Would you do that ? :)

+To Fantastic's Suggestion

If you going to settle there, then There is no point carrying the Harbeth's with you, Even in case you are returning in couple years. You need to pay for shipping onward and return+Risk.

Moreover you would carry some best stuff, in case you return to India after some years.

In case you are not getting the right prize here, then best to carry I would say;But the Selling prize+shipping should not exceed the cost of the same speaker in US too.

If you have any plans to return in couple of years or less, Just hand it over to a trust able person to just run in once in a week and take care of the unit until you return :) instead of selling them.

New once cost to a ship, Since its your hard earned money think twice before you take a decision, Just be in the middle of Sentiment and Business.

If you have any plans to return in couple of years or less, Just hand it over to a trust able person to just run in once in a week and take care of the unit until you return :) instead of selling them.

I would be happy to do that and because you seem like a nice person, I will not charge you anything - not even for the time spent by me in listening to the speakers....

I would be happy to do that and because you seem like a nice person, I will not charge you anything - not even for the time spent by me in listening to the speakers....
:lol: I use to do so Most of the times, I have sentiment towards my Electronics (Though its not expensive) .Until now I sold only one Luxman Amp for raising fund. All others like Yamaha, Sony, denon Amps and few Speakers are still singing in friends home.

Let me reveal a secret, Just give to a newbie (who doesn't try anything new and do what we say for the matter of listening music (volume levels) and maintaining)

:eek:hyeah:

But One Demand, If you take are of these, I will gift you nice one, when i took back this for my use.

:lol: panditji...in fact it could be a whole new startup idea! leave your precious equipment with us when you travel, we'll ensure it is well taken care of...all at a nominal cost. hmmm...now I'm having second thoughts about relocating...maybe i'll stay back and open a local branch with you :D

And it can extend to expensive TVs, suits even expensive alcohol/wine, since there is a huge risk of breakage in transportation... We might get some funding from Mr. Tata also...

But seriously, it makes sense to sell all equipment here if you plan to be out for more than a couple of years.. If relocating for a short while, you should rethink as you have a stellar setup and it can't be bettered easily. Also because of US voltages, it won't make sense for you to bring back electronics or lug electronics from here....

Carrying stuff from here has always been a bother. Back in the day I'd carry food items like curries and pickles, but a few years ago they stopped even those. Even drugs are hard these days, need a lot of paperwork.

It does not make sense for electronics unless they are dual voltage... speakers though one can understand especially if they are singing. Going to be hard to get back that performance even with better/expensive speakers... saying this from personal experience. My all digital setup though it costs 4x/5x still does not perform anywhere near to satisfaction of what I had with my previous vinyl and tape setup. I still regret letting go of that stuff for a fraction of the cost. And its really not about the money... I've spent a lot more, even a small fortune, but still cannot get the sound I grew up with.

So if the Harbeth's are really singing and its not going to be an easy proposition to get other equipment that matches on the performance front I can understand your wife's reluctance to let them go. BTW you are one lucky dude... a wife who is attached to speakers. Mine couldn't care less... though she will want to move the kitchen sink and all useless junk when we move.

But all said and done you are moving to the land of the free and the home of the brave... and its the easiest to get anything there for the right price (usually a lot cheaper in fact). Apart from the speakers I'd sell the rest (only if its long term or permanent), if its only for a short while then simply pack it all up and leave it with parents, in-laws, or relatives. That's what I did. Does not take a lot of space... half a room or the attic and you always have the option of returning for it or selling at a later date if your stay extends.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back