Shopping advice for a NOOB

gmiller_79

Hello all! I have been having this overwhelming urge to build a turntable, hifi system and have just started the process. I am brand new to the vinyl world but something is calling me to it. I think it's that I want to really connect with my favorite music and make an actual experience out of listening. Anyway,

I have already ordered a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and a Pro-Ject phono box. I have a budget of 1,000 to 1200 for the system and I am really just trying to get the best listening experience for the money. I'm torn between powered or passive speakers...If I get passive, I think I want Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers but I don't know what kind of amp to get for them. I love the look of a tube amp but I don't think I'll get a really good one in my budget.

Or, I could get powered speakers which I just don't like the idea of for some reason. If you guys know of some really good ones I would love a recommendation. Thank you so much for being here for people who need the help! :)

Hello Gmiller,

Welcome to the Forum. You are in HIFI Paradise :) So thats the problem too, Since you have too much choice to decide.

I dont know much about the LP\Turntables (Yet to have once for me). But you could provide your Room size, Your fav Music Genre . This gives a clear idea for suggestion.

If you have Good Collection of LP\EP's then go with a Tube amp and nice Full range drivers.

Welcome to our forum. You are truly living in one of the beautiful parts of the US of A. With all due respect, you make your hifi purchase sound like ordering food from a take-away joint :)

If only it were that simple!!

Having said that, there is never a wrong path for the beginner. Every move brings with it, a world of discovery and enjoyment. Having played around with all these toys for a long long time, I've come to believe that when it comes to owning a rig and enjoying it, about 70% lies in your head, about 20% in the marquee value of the equipment that you buy and the rest 10% in the actual sound of your rig. Why only 10% on sound quality is because it is not a constant and is highly personal. What appeals to me may not appeal to anyone else :)

Now to business....Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and a Pro-Ject phono box - most definitely a good start. Wharfs, an equally good start. Just that you need to choose a juicy well powered amp to drive them. Whether the amp is built with a phonostage or not does not really matter as you have the phono box. Get started, listen and listen and start enjoying your rig. You can upgrade once you are familiar with a couple of things namely (1) the basics of the phono world and (2) after you discover how you really want your music to sound.

There are two phono schools of thought. There are nerds like myself who spend 1000s of dollars on big names in the turntable business just to get the best out of the source, while there are (were) some wise men like my father who believed in getting a decent source and taking it from there, to a new level by further tweaking amplification to achieve great results. Passers by used to visit our home just to see what my Dad played his music on, only to find some DIY equipment performing (much to their surprise). After tens of years, garrards and lencos and technics and what not, I have come to believe that owning great stuff is good for bragging rights on forums but if you really want to enjoy your music, keep your equipment as decent and cost effective as possible, get the combinations right, have good clean records, a decent cartridge and good pre-amplification. You'll be surprised at the outcome - you'd start enjoying your music and your friend's rig will stop impressing you. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back