Shortlisting process for LCD/Plasma - WDTV !

kneo

I am planning to go for an upgrade of my 29" Samsung CRT in the next few months. Even though most of the forum members are going ga-ga over Panasonic PV8 and PV80, I want to confirm their enthusiasm and check them out myself before I take the plunge.

I am from Mumbai and am planning to visit the usual suspects e.g. Chroma, Vijay Sales, etc. for the demo of the LCD/Plasma. I plan to take along my WDTV for checking out the TV's performance for various sources e.g. 720p, 1080p, etc. I was wondering about the kind of clips that I should take along on the 8GB USB to check on the screen. Apart from 720p and 1080p what should I take along? Any particular clip that you guys can recommend e.g. to check accurate blacks, etc. I am planning to take 720p Planet Earth, 1080p Transformers clippings. I have 300 but because of the CGI used, I am not sure whether it would be a good candidate for the test.

I am going to view the TV from a distance of around 7-8 ft and usage would be mostly in a not-so-brightly room. Source would be 720p/1080p movies via WDTV (HDMI), regular DVDs via Philips HTiB (later on to be upgraded to a better player + A/C receiver), SD content via Tata Sky (70%) of the time. I am not worried about SD content as long as it looks better than my current Samsung CRT !!

PV8/PV80 may not be available anymore, new models G10, S10 are released recently. Hurry and see if you could get hold of any PV8/PV80s with the local dealers...

just wanted to comment that the idea of taking some HD clips along on a WDTV sounds like an excellent way to audition TVs, you'll be able to recreate your home setup, except for lighting conditions, but it'll still be as close as possible.

PV8/PV80 may not be available anymore, new models G10, S10 are released recently. Hurry and see if you could get hold of any PV8/PV80s with the local dealers...

In fact that is the precise reason i have decided to go for it now. With the introduction me new models the old ones would be cheaper

Last edited:
well if u want to check out the black level u need movies like Dark Knight,I Am Legend,these movies have good scenes where it will be challenging for tvs that have low contrast,especialy IPS based lcds tvs such as lg,panasonic,philips.these tvs can show good black levels but with the lack of shadow details when given a scene where there is plenty of light yet there are some dark areas.
plasmas and samsung/sony lcds won't have much of an issue in these scenes.but tvs that have glossy screens no matter how deep blacks they give out,u just can't notice due to the glare and reflections.

Last edited:
just wanted to comment that the idea of taking some HD clips along on a WDTV sounds like an excellent way to audition TVs, you'll be able to recreate your home setup, except for lighting conditions, but it'll still be as close as possible.

During the days when I bought my LCD, there were no good media players, I used to take my laptop and docking station (has DVI out) to showrooms and connect for demo. There used be small huddle of staff taking a peak at awesome HD movies playing out the laptop:) It took me about 3 months to finalize though!

Last edited:
I am planning to go for an upgrade of my 29" Samsung CRT in the next few months. Even though most of the forum members are going ga-ga over Panasonic PV8 and PV80, I want to confirm their enthusiasm and check them out myself before I take the plunge.

I am from Mumbai and am planning to visit the usual suspects e.g. Chroma, Vijay Sales, etc. for the demo of the LCD/Plasma. I plan to take along my WDTV for checking out the TV's performance for various sources e.g. 720p, 1080p, etc. I was wondering about the kind of clips that I should take along on the 8GB USB to check on the screen. Apart from 720p and 1080p what should I take along? Any particular clip that you guys can recommend e.g. to check accurate blacks, etc. I am planning to take 720p Planet Earth, 1080p Transformers clippings. I have 300 but because of the CGI used, I am not sure whether it would be a good candidate for the test.

I am going to view the TV from a distance of around 7-8 ft and usage would be mostly in a not-so-brightly room. Source would be 720p/1080p movies via WDTV (HDMI), regular DVDs via Philips HTiB (later on to be upgraded to a better player + A/C receiver), SD content via Tata Sky (70%) of the time. I am not worried about SD content as long as it looks better than my current Samsung CRT !!

I wonder if SD DTH content will look 'better' than your CRT on any of LCDs/Plasmas - other than the large screen effect.

For me, standard DVDs, 720p movies and games look lovely on the PV8. DTH is also good - specially at 7-8ft. But surely not as smooth as CRT. HD would probably look better on a 40/42 Full HD tv - but do weigh the gain in PQ vs the potential 15k+ price difference between the Panny and FHD LCDs.

WDTV TO CHECK lcd/plasma is good idea but sd contnet better crt i dont think so but stil check
good hunting :clapping:

From which part of mumbai you are?
Any model finalised?

Not yet. It's not in the immediate future. I am planning to get it by Nov-Dec. I am from Vikhroli. I still want to read up more about the plasma v/s LCD debate as i recently read a post on this forum about the burn in problem in plasma.

If i get convinced about the burn in and the 1024 x 768 resolution of the PV8 then I'll be sold.

Not yet. It's not in the immediate future. I am planning to get it by Nov-Dec. I am from Vikhroli. I still want to read up more about the plasma v/s LCD debate as i recently read a post on this forum about the burn in problem in plasma.

If i get convinced about the burn in and the 1024 x 768 resolution of the PV8 then I'll be sold.

that is a long time away ,by that times prices would be different ,the X10 probably may be priced the same as pv8.
manufactures may even show the upcoming 2010 tvs.
if you are waiting for plasma vs lcd debate to end ,my guess is it will go on until plasma companies stop selling plasmas or if lcds are cheaper to buy then similar sized plasmas.who know it may continue till large OLED screens are released:lol:

I'm pretty convinced about my requirement - a HD ready 42". I am just reading up more about how these TV scale Tata Sky content and whether the much talked about burn in problem is real in the practical world (everybody has different viewing styles - i do not view TV for 6-7 hours straight regularly)

Yes - prices coming down is one of the things I am waiting for !

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back