Should I buy stand alone bd player (which one) or bd player +media player?

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

Need a little help here and would be thankful for the input since I relatively have no idea whats in the market these days.

I have a western digital media player (1st generation) which hangs sometimes but does the job and till now I didnt need a bd player since all My movies are on Hard drive.

Now the situation is that My brother got married :yahoo::yahoo: and the photographer has given us the video in blu ray. So We need a blu ray player to watch these. It would be used to only watch marriage videos only so I dont want a fancy player. I am looking for a economical one only.

Currently what I am thinking is-

1.) Buy a simple bd player and continue with the western digital media player for movies. In this case which bd player should I look for?

2.) Is there some media player that would play bd's as well as all formats via hard drive? If yes which models should I look for or I would be better off buying these 2 things separately?

I would appreciate any help on this as this is quite urgent as I may get an ultimatum any day to buy one and I dont want to buy the wrong product.:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

If you do not intend to buy any other BD in future (since you seem to be a more "Download Guy") I suggest you talk to your photographer and take the movie dump in HDD (in avi / mkv / mp4 format) and ask him to give you a downscaled DVD version for sharing with relatives (since even today many does not have BD player). This way you can continue with the existing player as well and save buying a BDP.

However if you still want to buy a BDP, better look for the pioneer or sony ones around 10K range. Although nowadays they come with lots of other format support but in your case I would say nothing will beat your media player.

Tell the photographer to give a copy in USB. Carry your own USB and copy it from his premises if need be.

Keep the Blu-Ray disc for backup.

I am sure the Western Digital media player can play an ISO copy of the Blu-ray, or at least 1080p positively. There may not be a need to downscale the resolution.

cheers

. There may not be a need to downscale the resolution.

cheers

Usually "relatives" are not that tech savvy and updated about having a BDP :) Also if that is a DVD then I do not think 1080p is supported in DVD so a downscale might be eminent. The BD will anyway remain as a backup.

As other FM's suggested, Getting a BR player just for Watching should be a costly attempt. Hence just get the Blu ray converted to the Normal Video format with help of the Photo graph er and play it in Media Player. MKV would have good quality for limited space consumption. Carry a Portable HD or USB to copy the content from Photographer.

Hello Everyone

First of all thanks for the replies.

There are about 10 blu ray disks which means roughly 250 gb of data. After reading this thread I think its not a bad idea to get it in hdd and play and keep the blu ray for backup.

Though the photographer has agreed to make dvd of the same I guess after seeing the blu ray We wont like the dvd quality. :D

Since there are many marriages in the Family now it might be a good idea to invest in a bd player as well!

I just checked on ebay and it seems blu ray players are available for around 6-7k also!

my concern is should I buy a simple no frill bd player (which one) or look for something which would be a good media player also since I feel the wd media player 1st gen is in its last days! :D :D

Therefore if you could please suggest some models I can do some research and get back to you. Thanks

I am using the basic Sony BDP which i bought it for Rs.6500. It is a 'decent' BDP and works well as a media player as I was able to play most of the videos/ files through usb. Though I don't use it much (as a media player) as I have shifted to a HTPC.

I am using the basic Sony BDP which i bought it for Rs.6500. It is a 'decent' BDP and works well as a media player as I was able to play most of the videos/ files through usb. Though I don't use it much (as a media player) as I have shifted to a HTPC.

I second this. HTPC is the ultimate thing but for now you may settle with a BDP in sub 10K and continue using your old media player in parallel when BDP fails to play a file through USB. The only pace where you may have some limitation is in up scaling achieved for non-HD files while playing through USB as compared to media player which I assume in an entry level BDP may not be competitive with an even 4 year old media player. I have a 22 inch Bravia and I can say this from the pathetic upscaling it does especially while playback over USB if the file is non-HD in the first place.

Last edited:
This way you can continue with the existing player as well and save buying a BDP.
o0idsh

If your wedding video-grapher has given 10 Blu Ray discs, I assume his bill for this service would be quite a bit.

Given what you guys spent to get the event captured on Blu Ray, the cost of buying a BD player to watch them would be insignificant in comparison.

So just go ahead and buy one. Otherwise it would be penny wise and pound foolish. :D

If your wedding video-grapher has given 10 Blu Ray discs, I assume his bill for this service would be quite a bit.

Given what you guys spent to get the event captured on Blu Ray, the cost of buying a BD player to watch them would be insignificant in comparison.

So just go ahead and buy one. Otherwise it would be penny wise and pound foolish. :D

The person took around 2.5 lakh covering all the functions (5-6 in total) of the Groom as well as the Bride family. The price includes portraits, albums, blu rays as well. And I shall tell you that 10 blu ray are for the groom side only. There would be 10 other for the bride family. :D :D

In comparison to other We thought he was actually quite cheap!

The issue is not about the price but with the bdp being not used much after buying.

Hopefully in 1-2 days I can get the 1 tb hdd and try to get the bdps playing through that.

I just thought even if My media player is not able to play that I can always play it in the mac! :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back