Should Speakers Be Set to Large or Small on an AV Receiver?

senthilsss

When you set it to small, the AVR routes the low frequently signal to Sub and as a result the bass sounds better. The Cross Over frequently depends on the size of your drivers. If they are more than 6", you can set the Cross Over to 80/100 Hz.

I would say it is better to set them to small because it will then let you choose your supported/crossover frequency manually, this goes without saying that if a subwoofer is included in the setup.
But really its all about using your speakers properly. If very helpful when you mix and match among speakers, like having different brand smaller rate speakers.
Example: I have large fronts which can go as low as 43 Hz but everything goes to it if I set them to large. So I set it to small but set freq. to 50 Hz and let anything below it go to subwoofer.

So set it to small, set crossover freq as per your speakers manual and keep rocking.

Just want to get your opinion.

When I set it to small, I felt the Bass is punchy and clean.
When I set it to large, it was not that good.

XOver set at 60Hz as my floorstanders and center can handle above frequencies only above 48Hz.

Do you feel the sound/bass is better when it is set to small?

Please post your thoughts.

Good article to refer: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/should-speakers-be-set-to-large-or-small-on-an-av-receiver
This is a basic topic and has been discussed a Lot in this forum. Have you searched for the discussion in other threads?

Small: Crossover is used. All frequency below set crossover is sent to Sub.
Large: No Crossover. Speakers get full range.

MaSh

Just want to get your opinion.

When I set it to small, I felt the Bass is punchy and clean.
When I set it to large, it was not that good.

XOver set at 60Hz as my floorstanders and center can handle above frequencies only above 48Hz.

Do you feel the sound/bass is better when it is set to small?

Please post your thoughts.

Good article to refer: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/should-speakers-be-set-to-large-or-small-on-an-av-receiver
Experiment with both. I usually let mine to small.

When you set your Main speakers to small, they have much less work to do as most of the work-heavy bass frequencies are routed to the subwoofer. As a result, the midbass drivers can reproduce the midbass better and hence you feel the clarity and improved bass. Moreover, The main speakers can not be moved arount to an optimal place for bass but a Subwoofer can be.
Also speakers tend to distort a lot at low frequencies compared to subwoofers. So, IMHO, if the main speakers are not Focal Grand Utopia or JTR Noesis 215RT then its wiser to set the Main speakers to small.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back