Showcase your tuner

An old picture featuring my NAD 402 on my make-shift rack

1x3d.jpg

These are very handsome looking tuners and must be very expensive. Since I am not using any of them, just curious to know few things.

As I understand most of them has FM and AM channels (please correct if am wrong). Do we get great quality in AM channels as well because I never heard distortion free sound from AM channel. Also do we get such great quality in FM channels that can justify its price tag.

Basically, My question is why do we buy expensive tuners?
Great sound quality, strong signal picking capacity, Variety of music otherwise not possible to keep in our collection always OR just for the good looks and to match the similar sized allied equipment (Amp)

Apologies for my ignorance but I would really appreciate if FMs could respond to above

Regards,
Vinay

In AM/FM tuner, AM means Medium Wave generally. Sound quality of even local MW radio stations is extremely poor and does not justify any kind of investment. However, if you can catch local FM in Stereo, SQ is sometime as good as CD and is excellent source of entertainment. SQ of commercial FM radios like 92.7, 93.5 etc is great whereas AIR, Vividh Bharti, Rainbow etc is pathetic.

In AM/FM tuner, AM means Medium Wave generally. Sound quality of even local MW radio stations is extremely poor and does not justify any kind of investment.
For better AM reception You have to invest in better antenna and still fight from electrical noise generating equipments. But e.g. I find a nostalgic value in listening to Indore 648KHz AM from Pune. Or Bangalore from Pune. But it needs AM Antenna.

However, if you can catch local FM in Stereo, SQ is sometime as good as CD and is excellent source of entertainment.
Agreed!

SQ of commercial FM radios like 92.7, 93.5 etc is great whereas AIR, Vividh Bharti, Rainbow etc is pathetic.
May be reverse some time. Commercial channels are bombarding advertisement, chaotic and RJ's are shouting. It give more headache than music.

For better AM reception You have to invest in better antenna and still fight from electrical noise generating equipments. But e.g. I find a nostalgic value in listening to Indore 648KHz AM from Pune. Or Bangalore from Pune. But it needs AM Antenna.

Agreed!

May be reverse some time. Commercial channels are bombarding advertisement, chaotic and RJ's are shouting. It give more headache than music.

I do agrree with you Mishra Ji. Sound quality is better on private channels but lot of commercials and R.J's bakwas is unbearable often.

Then there's satellite radio, predominantly AIR channels but the quality is quite good and RJs are quite pleasing at times (at times they can also sound disinterested). I don't have the DD-Direct equipment installed but our local cable operator (Asianet) carries 7 or 8 radio channels from DD-Direct.

AM and SW was great fun but I gave up due to interference. Its become close to impossible now, to listen without interference. Also a lot of the SW stations have either reduced SW airtime or have discontinued and shifted to satellite broadcasting.

Videocon D2h gives lot many FM channels( 20 or more) but SQ even through HT speaker system is not good. I sometime listen to Vividh Bharti or AIR Urdu channel for the sake of nostalgia and old evergreen Hindi songs.

Hello FM's,

Today I saw an add of Luxman T-351L Tuner in Olx Bangalore. The seller used the same picture which I uploaded here. Please be aware.

My recently acquired Luxman T-351L. This Luxman performance is better than my Denon TU-260.:)

Dear all Radio buffs, recently got hold of two tuners. Denon TU260 and Onkyo T401 tuners. The Denon has the better SQ but the Onkyo reception is better, its a quartz synthesised one - what ever it means. Both cost around 2500. Got them thru OLX, feeling very good.

Last edited:
Dear all Radio buffs, recently got hold of two tuners. Denon TU260 and Onkyo T401 tuners. The Denon has the better SQ but the Onkyo reception is better, its a quartz synthesised one - what ever it means. Both cost around 2500. Got them thru OLX, feeling very good.

waiting for the pictures of both the tuners

this is my first and only tuner, ONKYO T4355.
signal reception quality is not excellent.
only standard supplied antenna cable is connected with tuner.
need to do some improvements in the antenna side for better results later.
this is with me since 2013
connected to a technics amplifier, equalizer, paradigm speaker setup

Attachments

• Onkyo tuner Onkyo name.jpg
    Onkyo tuner Onkyo name.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Onkyo tuner T4355.jpg
    Onkyo tuner T4355.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Onkyo Tuner front full.jpg
    Onkyo Tuner front full.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 100
  • Onkyo Tuner Display.jpg
    Onkyo Tuner Display.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 100
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back