Showcase your tuner

reubensm

Dear All,

Very few in this forum seem to be using a component Tuner as part of your Hi-Fi rigs. It would be nice to take a look at the Tuners you all have. Lets showcase them here.

Let me start with mine. I own the legendard NAD 402 Tuner. Its a cool Tuner with wonderful sensitivity and sound...

Last edited:
This is my pioneer TX221Z AM/FM tuner - Made in Japan ~1986 Model. This is digitally tuned Analog receiver, PLL tuning lock and 50KHz steps in FM.
View attachment 4462
I got this as non functioning item in Scrap Market without any pin connection or wire. I replaced all electrolyte caps with latest ones and carbon resistors with 1% MFR. Aligned its tuner section with help of crystal oscillator of 10.7 MHz (Which I built for this purpose). After tuning FM section using different crystals in the oscillator, used small oscilloscope to tune 76 KHz stereo separator clock and 455KHz AM IF. Modified local mixer JFET to better ones. Replaced IF ceramic filters from Murata's NOS from local dealer. I built regulated low noise power supply and audio connections. Luckily Fluorescent Display is working after supplying 2VAC at filament. Using DIY FM Yagi antenna in picture below. Also I am using "twin coil ferrite am antenna" from ccrane dot com.
View attachment 4463
FM Yagi antenna centered at 98.0 MHz covering required FM band. Having 300ohm-75ohm BALUN built at folded dipole to connect low loss 75 ohm cable upto Tuner. No FM DX'ng but I am able receive far AM stations like Bangalore, Chennai from Pune with AM Antenna.

Last edited:
How did you bend the pipe to create the folded dipole. also, is the antenna used with an amplifier or not?

There is no RF amplifier with the antenna. It is directly connected to tuner.
Now the great question how did I fold dipole?
For this I followed below steps -
  1. Marked 1" on both sides of bend mark of dipole to be folded. (2" extra length is added to required pipe.)
  2. Made hole in solid wooden block to just pass the tube.
  3. Took another 1 cm piece of stainless steel pipe of 10mm diameter, hold with pipe wrench. (this was used for fitting bathroom shower, anything which oppose flattening of tube will do)
  4. I loosely filled the pipe with fine sand and closed both ends with cotton/cloth.
  5. Now slowly bend the out coming pipe from wooden block with pipe holded in wrench. 5 degree bend with 5 mm length is okay. Started at left 1" mark, actual center of bend and then continued till right side 1" mark. Just make slowly and with less force.
  6. This same thing repeated to other end.
  7. Remove sand and cut extra length at the center where tube ends meet after folding. No center hole in dipole, mounted in groove carved at mast and another top wooden plank pressed over it using brass screws.
I took 1.0 hr to do this and done within first attempt. Whole antenna took 2 week ends - 2 hrs/day included painting the mast etc. Made it weather proof either mounting screws, wooden mast or wire connections.

Last edited:
absolutely brilliant, i remember my late dad building his own TV Antenna way back in 1982 and that brought back sweet memories. i'm going to try to do one myself. shall keep you updated

Fantastic job Mishraji!
How I wish that I could use a yagi antenna for FM, but its just not possible in the flats of Mumbai highrises.

In 1994 saw this tuner in a second hand hifi store in Bangalore. Came with amp & eq combo, but i picked up only this good looking tuner which was made during 1984.

SansuiT909-01_zps089ba251.jpg

SansuiT909-02_zps34e48f05.jpg

SansuiT909-04_zps776cadcf.jpg

SansuiT909-03_zps45ecb882.jpg

TTanimationnew10july2014_zps69217576.gif

I had this Tuner in the past. Used it for 3-4 years...It was a nice Tuner. But a friend of mine requested me to arrange this model for him. I gave this Tuner to my friend.

In 1994 saw this tuner in a second hand hifi store in Bangalore. Came with amp & eq combo, but i picked up only this good looking tuner which was made during 1984.

Looks classic. Thanks for sharing. I am looking around of tuners and these kind of pictures infuse vigour in me :)

Regards,
Antony

Selvin,

Its in pristine Condition, Good Hunt.Let me know if you come across such good Tuner and specifically ANALOG once :).

My Aiwa AT9700 & Sansui TU9500
Both analogue tuners. However I use my digital Technics ST-S6 tuner for listening as both these high end analogue tuners are in dire need of alignment.
nKkfyfqBnV

lkqemQKBp-

Last edited:
Back