Shure M44-7 Cartridge

audiohifi

I was reading through various threads where M44-7 has been highly recommended by fellow FMs. But this is more of a DJ cartridge. Is it advisable to use for domestic listening? Will one get the ultimate satisfaction?

is it advisable for domestic listening? Absolutely
Will one get the ultimate satisfaction ? Depends on if you are a fan of the "mega bass" button on a stereo!

greenhorn, what about the M44-G cart? Is it better sound quality than of the 44-7? Is it suitable to average condition records?
Thanks.

Due to its rugged nature and high output, the M44-7 became a favourite with DJs.

M44-7 and M44-G are different. The M44-7 has a 9.5 mv output when compared to the 6.2 mv output of the M44-G. The tracking force range for M44-7 is 1.5 to 3g where as the tracking force range for M44-G is 0.75 to 1.5g. The matching styli are also different, the N44-7 being spherical 0.7mil while the N44-G is spherical 0.6mil

Thank you Reuben. But how about the sound nature between the two M44-7 & M44-G ? If the 44-7 is scarce or in high price, then let's try for M44-G. Is the Jico stylus for the 44-7 more brightness or forwarness than the Original stylus? I think the tracking force is high in JICO. Thank you.

I personally prefer the Audio Technica AT91/CN5625AL to M44-7(have tried both). M44-7 sound like equalization(big bass,bright treble) has been added... AT91 is more balanced. Have been using it for 5 years...probably will upgrade to Nagaoka MP110 next.

Also helpful to check out Audiorpheus channel on Youtube to get a general idea of tonality of various cartridges.

If you are into bollywood oldies, EP, SP (7inch) and scratchy records will play unparalleled through Shure M 44-7. And for fine records, Shure V 15 type III is the best bet. I am using v15 with JICO styli. Very happy with the output. Today had a session at a friends place, MP 110 and EMT TT. MP 110 is better than Shure M97Xe.

JICO N44-7 styli is more neutral than the OEM Styli.

Warm regards,
Sourav

Thank you Reuben. But how about the sound nature between the two M44-7 & M44-G ? If the 44-7 is scarce or in high price, then let's try for M44-G. Is the Jico stylus for the 44-7 more brightness or forwarness than the Original stylus? I think the tracking force is high in JICO. Thank you.

also referring to the post above by Souravin

The Shure V15 (III) is the best cart I've heard but I own one with OEM stylus. When I say best, I mean, natural sounding, smooth, extremely warm, can play all genres of music and tracks excellently well. On the flip side, for racy music genres, it can sound a bit boring at time (now, this is a very controversial comment but for those who listen to music with tonal boost, this is true). The M44-7 is a every-day cart and can sound great especially if you like sound with tonal boost. It is bright and highly engaging. In my personal opinion (and again, this is a controversial statement), the mastering on majority of the Bollywood records and Indian pressing of western job titles (not international albums but mostly the 60s and 70s compilations), which quite commonly make up the average western lp collection in India, can vary from record to record, sometime even pathetic. Here is were the M44-7 comes to the fore. It is not honest and it is loud, thereby accentuating the content to listenable levels. I haven't used the Jico stylus for this one but with its OEM N44-7 stylus, i can track any record and what I've noted as a merit of this, is that the in-groove distortion tends to be very less even on worn records. I have also heard the M44-G cart with its original N44-G stylus. I thought it sounded identical when compared to the M44-7 but was not as loud. I did notice that it did not track as well as the M44-7 on some older records.

Here is were the M44-7 comes to the fore. It is not honest and it is loud, thereby accentuating the content to listenable levels. I haven't used the Jico stylus for this one but with its OEM N44-7 stylus, i can track any record and what I've noted as a merit of this, is that the in-groove distortion tends to be very less even on worn records. I have also heard the M44-G cart with its original N44-G stylus. I thought it sounded identical when compared to the M44-7 but was not as loud. I did notice that it did not track as well as the M44-7 on some older records.

Yes, you have been experiencing very well with 44-7 and you did the very good observation about the nature of that cart. This information will be very helpful to users. Thanks a lot. Regards.

Sunder.

If you are into bollywood oldies, EP, SP (7inch) and scratchy records will play unparalleled through Shure M 44-7. And for fine records, Shure V 15 type III is the best bet. I am using v15 with JICO styli. Very happy with the output. Today had a session at a friends place, MP 110 and EMT TT. MP 110 is better than Shure M97Xe.

JICO N44-7 styli is more neutral than the OEM Styli.

Warm regards,
Sourav

I listen to mainly Hindi oldies but not scratchy vinyls. I am a bit sceptical playing the scratchy ones with a constant fear that it might damage the stylus or the cartridge itself.
Interesting to know about V15 Type III. Must b expensive!

I endorse the opinion of Reubensm. I have also observed that sometimes the loudness of 447 becomes harsh (although I have listened only two lps with 447) at that time it is better to switch over to other cart. I have kept the cart aside for using it with some older records. Another thing which is to be pointed out here that the new 447 are entirely different & not at par with older ones.

Interesting to know about V15 Type III. Must b expensive!
In a way, yes
The V-series is often considered to be the pinnacle of Shure's cart line, and the Type III was considered the best of the lot (quite debatable actually). I own this cart with OEM VN35E stylus and have listened to it extensively. Wonderful cart, has a very high end sound. My London and Decca records sound especially great with this cart (used on Garrard 301/SME 3009). The Vs come up quite often on ebay, and if you keep an eye open, you may come across a good deal. Since Shure wound up their cart production, prices have kind of escalated but a decent V-III with OEM stylus (in used condition) usually fall in the $300 to $400 range depending on condition. They are good but there are some other GEMS from Shure, like the M75-6, the M70B, the M95ED. All very good in my opinion. The Shure M3D and M7D are also very interesting carts from the old Shure stable but are heavy trackers :)

Start at lowest. See if it tracks without without skipping. Increase in 0.1 gram steps and listen for the best sound - yes, sound changes with tracking force. A light tracking force results in a slightly "nervous" or "skittish" sort of sound. Typically, the mean value of the manufacturer's prescribed tracking weight range works well. YMMV, so feel free to experiment. It's easy enough if one has a calibrated counter weight. There's an optimal tracking weight - sonically - if one tries long enough. Also, note that tracking at the lightest possible force may not necessarily wear the record the least.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back