Simple (powered) speaker set for TV

skumar

I have a Samsung 32" LCD (LA32R7) and SQ from its speakers is not one of its strengths.

Looking for suggestions from the members on a self-powered pair of speakers which I could connect to the STB/TV-Audio-Out and use them as default speakers for the TV. I do not want to route the STB thru the AVR, as the power bill might go thru the roof. Is it going to be really worth?

Feel free to suggest any type/range, but I am also looking for the following in the speaker set:
a) Should be compact
b) Wall mountable ones preferred
c) Low power consumption
d) Remote volume control (optional, as the STB has its own vol. control)
e) decent SQ versus price

Share your experiences, recommendations, price points etc. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a couple of friends who have used Audioengine A5 as a solution to this same problem and they are very happy. It will cost around 19K.

I have a couple of friends who have used Audioengine A5 as a solution to this same problem and they are very happy. It will cost around 19K.

i auditioned the A5 yesterday at Silo Media Pune and foudn them to be pretty good (dont know about the price though). Its is best for people with limited space and want powered speakers. Great midrange, treble - best paired with a small sub if possibe. Without a sub it lacks feel - only for music with a thump.

For normal TV viewing its is too good. Have the money - buy it. Add a sub and enjoy great music from a 2.1 system.

Have more money invest in the Philips/Yamaha sound bar - will cost a fortune though ( i mean as much as your tv itself)

the Audioengine 2 is an excellent option for 10k as well. I own it. Although I bought it for exactly the purpose for which you are thinking of buying it, what has happened is that these speakers are so musical that it seems like a waste pairing it with the TV, and now I used it only for music, but they're very capable even with audio output of your STB.

a pretty straightforward case for the audioengine speakers really.cant go wrong.cheers

I am also looking for speakers for the same tv set.
still not found.

i am considering 5.1 JBL SCS 140 BK. however i have not listened to it.

this thread may help me aslo.
seniors your suggestions ..!!

I am also looking for speakers for the same tv set.
still not found.

i am considering 5.1 JBL SCS 140 BK. however i have not listened to it.

this thread may help me aslo.
seniors your suggestions ..!!

These JBL ar not powered! You need a seprate AV amp.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, I will try to audition AE 2 and 5 soon.

How about something like this or this? Are they VFM or a case of "I get what I pay for"?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, I will try to audition AE 2 and 5 soon.

How about something like this or this? Are they VFM or a case of "I get what I pay for"?

they are external/outdoor speaker and will/should/may have a flat respose wrt to output. Might as well get a quality pair of powered speakers from a local indian manufacturer. Dude give us a budget - we can help you chose on basis of your requirements.

The A5 is pretty good and when paired with a sub is great for the average audiophile.

Try the Altec Lancing MX-5021 ... You will not be disappointed with its performance. This model contains two big satellite speakers (wall mountable) with subwoofer unit and remote control that controls Volume, Bass & Treble. Its a completely value for money speakers and the sound quality is excellent in my experience. When this product was launched it was retailing for 13.5K. Currently it is available for about 7K.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

I feel they would be underpowered. If you can up the budget a bit then the Altec Lansing MX 5021 at around 6.5K would be an excellent choice.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back