Simpli-Fi My Hi-Fi - Add digital Streaming, elegantly

tripaccino

Hi guys,

Note: 1.Pardon any noob-ness shining through in this Query.
2.The Schiit line of products is only for illustration and I would be happy to get something else that is more value.

I'm looking for a solution to a simple problem and it seems to involve buying too much Schiit (or equivalent products)

I want to integrate a network streamer like the allo digione into my setup but then I end up with two sources and two outputs.

My Analog source is a Project turntable with RCA out.
And my Digital Source is intended to be a Allo Digione RPi Player with SPDIF out.
Active Speaker: Edifier S1000db (with two rca inputs+ one digital input +and one coax input + supports bluetooth aptx)
Headphones: Audio Technica M50X

Goal: I want to be able to listen using my active speakers from either source or through headphones from either source.

Is this the most elegant way ? : -

Turntable - Schiit Mani - Schiit Sys - Schiit Magni (rear rca out )- Active Speaker

Digital source - Schiit Modi - Schiit Sys - Magni (Front aux out) to Headphones

Using the sys I can switch source between digital and turntable (through dac and phonostage respectively)

And the Sciit Magni Heresy helps me switch output - outs to headphone when I plug into the front. Else defaults to active speakers via rear out. (? would it ?) (My headphone is a Audio Technica atm50x which actually doesn't need much power to be driven so can I skip the headphone amp in any way?)

I will also retain Echo dot separately chained for voice functionality and convenience connected to the empty rca input of active speaker.

Am I missing something ? Or do I need this much Schiit.? Too many small budget schiit boxes stacked up against me and the result is not really budget anymore . Is there a better solution like an integrated amp, that can combine these functions more elegantly and economically ?

I understand my system is humble and not very revealing, so I do not want to push to the deep end of the budget spectrum.
Schematics included below.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_20200908_152101__01.jpg

Very modular. Anything can come in and replace anything. Well thought out.
But have you considered just a preamp/DAC. Many come with decent headphone out.
Or even an IA (with Preout) in case you go to passive speakers.

The issue with Schiit products is that they are point solutions.
Some good, but some may become too many (as you feel).
FYI, Allo has the "Boss" player which is streamer/DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks.

Any preamp DAC with head out suggestions?

I would love an IA (preferably without a power amp section because I run actives now) Any suggestions?
I'll need some integrated amp with Phono MM+DAC+Head out+Speaker out+possibly, network streaming then it replaces all the components.

My brother is coming from the EU next month and I can look at EU/UK options as well if it saves some cash.

Last edited:
What's your budget at present?
Check out this one is out if you can source from EU/UK.

Edit:
Just add an Allo streamer

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
That's a sweet solution Raghu.
Does it have a poorer cousin? How is the Cambridge Audio AXA35?

Last edited:
That's a sweet solution Raghu.
Does it have a poorer cousin?
It's GBP400; at this price getting everything in single box is rare.
The Schiit point product solution/chain would cost more.
Check the video review and there's an "after the hype" version too.

Edit:
It has a sub out, too :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Sources: Pro-ject Turntable
Amazon Echo Dot
Allo Digione SPDIF out (coming soon)

Components: Schiit Magni Heresy )(Headphone . Amp-Passive preamp)

Output: Edifier S1000 DB Active Speaker
Audio Technica M50X DG

Please see the above attached picture for clarity of intended connections.

Need :
A decent entry level phono stage (Mani?)
A decent DAC to accept the allo out (Modi?)
A switch for elegant cross connection between any input and any output (Sys?)

Hope this helps.

<snip>
Need :

Hope this helps.
If the DAC is required to host Allo Digione, why not consider Allo Boss? It is a streamer/DAC
About the same cost as Digione, but will save you the cost of outboard DAC.
Dunno how good the DAC is though.

Cheers,
Raghu

If the DAC is required to host Allo Digione, why not consider Allo Boss? It is a streamer/DAC
About the same cost as Digione, but will save you the cost of outboard DAC.
Dunno how good the DAC is though.

Cheers,
Raghu
I reckon it's actually cheaper . I read the allo boss USB out is not very great sq and hence the allo digione HAT adds an isolated board on top and spits out through SPdif. Haven't heard it personally to comment though.

I reckon it's actually cheaper . I read the allo boss USB out is not very great sq and hence the allo digione HAT adds an isolated board on top and spits out through SPdif. Haven't heard it personally to comment though.
I have not heard out the Boss player either, seriously that is.
Someday maybe. But I felt it is a nice package for a starter component.
Ties together, streamer/player/DAC at affordable price point.
Cheers,
Raghu

That's true. Would love to get a real user review comparing between the (Allo Boss Dac Player) Vs the (Digione + Modi).
Then the modi can accept any input around the house as well which again is the advantage of going modular as you rightly call it.
I also want to support the Allo being made here in India and causing ripples worldwide.

That's true. Would love to get a real user review comparing between the (Allo Boss Dac Player) Vs the (Digione + Modi).
Then the modi can accept any input around the house as well which again is the advantage of going modular as you rightly call it.
I also want to support the Allo being made here in India and causing ripples worldwide.
Features, convenience, price and "Make in India" were elements of my decision to get Allo Digione home :)
Cheers,
Raghu

Is there a real local alternative to the Schiit Sys. ?
I don't need the volume control even, just a neat 2 RCA in 1 RCA out switch?
I've read a lot that the Schiit sys is expensive for the function , but do we have a simple cheaper alternative?

Sources: Pro-ject Turntable
Amazon Echo Dot
Allo Digione SPDIF out (coming soon)

Components: Schiit Magni Heresy )(Headphone . Amp-Passive preamp)

Output: Edifier S1000 DB Active Speaker
Audio Technica M50X DG

Please see the above attached picture for clarity of intended connections.

Need :

Hope this helps.

A decent entry level phono stage (Mani?) -- No idea
A decent DAC to accept the allo out (Modi?) -- Please read below
A switch for elegant cross connection between any input and any output (Sys?) -- Edifier has a remote right? (Great speakers by the way...!)

I own Khadas Tone board and you can read review on ASR. It is available in India < 10k, is powered by USB and I am using USB input and it sounds GREAT! Supposedly SPDIF is even better but my PC motherboard has only has SPDIF headers and I have no intention to solder an SPDIF port to test the SQ just for the sake of it (because my speakers and amp are just not super high end to differentiate). I understand what @raghupb is saying about Make In India (and I have read nothing but nothing but great things about ALLO, I live in Bengaluru BTW). But if something fits your needs perfectly then probably you should try it out. IMHO of course, and as always YMMV. Cheers!

Is t
Hi guys,

Note: 1.Pardon any noob-ness shining through in this Query.
2.The Schiit line of products is only for illustration and I would be happy to get something else that is more value.

I'm looking for a solution to a simple problem and it seems to involve buying too much Schiit (or equivalent products)

I want to integrate a network streamer like the allo digione into my setup but then I end up with two sources and two outputs.

My Analog source is a Project turntable with RCA out.
And my Digital Source is intended to be a Allo Digione RPi Player with SPDIF out.
Active Speaker: Edifier S1000db (with two rca inputs+ one digital input +and one coax input + supports bluetooth aptx)
Headphones: Audio Technica M50X

Goal: I want to be able to listen using my active speakers from either source or through headphones from either source.

Is this the most elegant way ? : -

Turntable - Schiit Mani - Schiit Sys - Schiit Magni (rear rca out )- Active Speaker

Digital source - Schiit Modi - Schiit Sys - Magni (Front aux out) to Headphones

Using the sys I can switch source between digital and turntable (through dac and phonostage respectively)

And the Sciit Magni Heresy helps me switch output - outs to headphone when I plug into the front. Else defaults to active speakers via rear out. (? would it ?) (My headphone is a Audio Technica atm50x which actually doesn't need much power to be driven so can I skip the headphone amp in any way?)

I will also retain Echo dot separately chained for voice functionality and convenience connected to the empty rca input of active speaker.

Am I missing something ? Or do I need this much Schiit.? Too many small budget schiit boxes stacked up against me and the result is not really budget anymore . Is there a better solution like an integrated amp, that can combine these functions more elegantly and economically ?

I understand my system is humble and not very revealing, so I do not want to push to the deep end of the budget spectrum.
Schematics included below.
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 49408
I have all the pieces in the chain except the 2 way source switch box. Is there an elegant way to do it? without using the Schiit sys would be welcome. Please crack this code for me guys !

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back