Simplistic Tube Preamp DIY Chassis Design Example

Here's another feast for the eyes. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, DIY project chassis and cabs had their own period styling which provides a lot of ideas for the modern DIY'er. Also interesting source selector with VHF as an option (probably FM) and a selector switch for Normal/Left/Right/Stereo - probably normal meant mono with both channels engaged :). Also assume that the "middle" control is the balance control (the terminology reminds me of the very early days of stereo when one could get these demo records with people talking in the middle and then walking to the left left and then all the way to the right for demonstrating stereo, railway trains moving across the room, etc.)
PP1.jpg
PP3.jpg
PP4.jpg
PP5.jpg
PP6.jpg
PP8.jpg
PP9.jpg
PP10.jpg
PP11.jpg
PP12.jpg

Last edited:
Dear all, my apologies, a kind forum member drew my attention to a mistake in my inference. Many thanks for the same as its important to post correct info. I did notice a balance control on the amp but could not edit the note but he shared some light on the mid-control and its relevance which is actually for controlling the mid range (I have heard of a control for presence on some more modern amplifiers). Many thanks once again.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back