Single Subwoofer or Two sub woofers ?

edjamesx

Hi all ,

My Room size is 17 /12 . I have tried hooking up a 8" subwoofer (80w) which i just got from my friend. I have placed the subwoofer in the left corner (front) side.
The Bass is great, how ever the bass seems to come from single side , sometimes it looks like bass is missing from right end.

I have tried placing the subwoofer near center speaker, but this time bass is not punchier as in the corner. the sound stage is good only when i place the sub in left or right corner.

I needed suggestion - is ths 8" sub is sufficient for the room size. - For me it was quite good fell sufficient , how ever to fill bass in another end I am thinking if i add another sub woofer in another corner , bass will be great in all directions.

OR , do i need to go for single higher size /higher watts sub woofer ?.

I am also looking for speakers - i will go with either bookshelves or floor standers.

One more thing to note here - my amp only have single preout for subwoofer. i need to hook up with Y cable for two sub woofer. will it be ok ?

I have tried placing the subwoofer near center speaker, but this time bass is not punchier as in the corner. the sound stage is good only when i place the sub in left or right corner.

If it is a dedicated room & if you have the liberty to move the sub, put it in the center of the room (for single sub).. It may not feel punchy like when it is near corners.. But should be a lot better..

For me it was quite good fell sufficient , how ever to fill bass in another end I am thinking if i add another sub woofer in another corner , bass will be great in all directions.

As they say "two" is better than one, adding 2nd sub has more benefits.. There are some ideal location in a room for best response.. You should try placing them when you get the 2nd sub..

One more thing to note here - my amp only have single preout for subwoofer. i need to hook up with Y cable for two sub woofer. will it be ok ?

Yes.. You can use a single RCA to dual RCA adapter on the AVR's subwoofer pre-outs & then use two subwoofers..

Thanks for your response elangoas. Which one will be better ?. Single higher watts (more than 200watts) sub , or two 80 watts Sub .

Which one will be better ?. Single higher watts (more than 200watts) sub , or two 80 watts Sub .

Obviously two 80 watts sub.. The 2nd sub also adds +3 dB SPL, which otherwise translates to double power requirement from a single sub..

Consider a sub-woofer in your budget, with the biggest driver (12 inch).. Should be able to hit more lower response..

Hi all ,

My Room size is 17 /12 . I have tried hooking up a 8" subwoofer (80w) which i just got from my friend. I have placed the subwoofer in the left corner (front) side.
The Bass is great, how ever the bass seems to come from single side , sometimes it looks like bass is missing from right end.

I needed suggestion - is ths 8" sub is sufficient for the room size. - For me it was quite good fell sufficient , how ever to fill bass in another end I am thinking if i add another sub woofer in another corner , bass will be great in all directions.

OR , do i need to go for single higher size /higher watts sub woofer ?.

I am also looking for speakers - i will go with either bookshelves or floor standers.

If you have a single sub which can go as low or as close as possible to 20hz....you will then get bass anywhere in the room....irrespective of placement.

It is also dependent on what furniture is there in the room...reflection of sound waves...if the room is treated or not etc.....

Hi all ,

Bass Notes are non directional, so left or right does not matter. It will spread around the room. Now with a Single Sub what can happen is that you might find the Sub louder in some spots in the room or non existent in some. This is what gets corrected by a second Sub. Multiple Subs, address the bass to be even everywhere in the room.

MaSh

What's speakers are you using. And what crossover are you using. Since you can feel the bass coming from the left side and not uniform. I would hazard a guess that you are running a high cross over of atleast 80 hz or higher. If this is the case, then for high crossover points best to place sub below your center channel this will give you bass from the center of your sound stage. And if same is unworkable , then next position is closer to your listening position that is sofa.

2 subs are always better than one. But if you are having only one sub out on the avr. Then using y- splutter is a workable solution. However bear in mind that the avr will eq considering both as a single sub. Which means you will still not get the best bass possible out of both your subs. In such cases a single high power sub of atleast 12 inches or bigger is ideal.

And that is why I asked your cross over point and rest of your speakers in my first question. If you are running a crossover of anywhere below 60hz, and can still feel the bass only coming from the left side, then the 8 inch sub is simply too weak for your room. And you will be better off adding a single larger sub.

So please consider the above . Thanks.

For watching movies using 2 subs-May I know which combination will be best? 1. Using 2 ported subs 2. Using a combination of a sealed and a ported sub, or 3. Using 2 sealed subs. Thanks .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back