Slot Music:New Technology to replace CDs

kaushik

The format introduced by EMI, Sony BMG, Universal and Warner Bros. is called ??SlotMusic? and will be available initially through a range U.S. retailers such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Sandisk is developing the hardware and software technology, which is based on the microSD format. SlotMusic cards will be packaged with a tiny USB sleeve, which will allow buyers to play the music in any portable device with a microSD slot (such as cellphones) as well as any device with a USB interface (such as PCs).

In its very basic concept, SlotMusic cards are positioned as a CD replacement for all those portable devices that can play digital music, but are simply too small to integrate a CD player. The four music giants consider their SlotMusic cards as ??a versatile new physical music format for the 21st Century? and promise to launch the format with ??MP3 music of top artists? in time for the Christmas season. The artist lineup and pricing of these cards has not been announced.

What we know, however, is that the music will be saved in 320 kb/s quality and that the SlotMusic cards will have a capacity of 1 GB - which means that there will be plenty of room for secondary content. EMI, Sony BMG, Universal and Warner Bros. said that consumers will also be able to save their own music on these cards to create their own small music albums. 1 GB of space is enough to store about 110 four-minute songs in 320 kb/s.

--collected

Sounds good in theory. But if they're going to b 1 GB SD cards......why don't they just put uncompressed CD audio on it?

You have to thank Steve Jobs of Apple for this. MP3 has become so popular and portable that people don't care for quality any more. Even Western Calssical is now available as MP3. God save us all. We should buy as many CDs as possible over the next two years.

I see the death of the CD in a way very similar to the death of the Vinyls. In 5 years from now, we will be scouting for our favorite CDs in Chor Bazars at 25 Rs each. All scratched, no jackets, with rat bitten sides. You might find a Beatles CD hanging in the front of a truck.

As Asterix would say, the sky is going to fall on our heads. Man! I am going to collect all the music I can in CD and uncompressed PC formats.

Somebody get me a 10 TB SAN device !!!!!!:mad:

Cheers

You have to thank Steve Jobs of Apple for this. MP3 has become so popular and portable that people don't care for quality any more. Even Western Calssical is now available as MP3. God save us all. We should buy as many CDs as possible over the next two years.

I see the death of the CD in a way very similar to the death of the Vinyls. In 5 years from now, we will be scouting for our favorite CDs in Chor Bazars at 25 Rs each. All scratched, no jackets, with rat bitten sides. You might find a Beatles CD hanging in the front of a truck.

As Asterix would say, the sky is going to fall on our heads. Man! I am going to collect all the music I can in CD and uncompressed PC formats.

Cheers

LOL...

that means the 320KBPS Bitrate will be dead soon...

the slotmusic came because last year CD sales were down by 17%...so they are putting more tracks recorded@320kbps

i know we all like how cds come packaged ..how well the racks look with our favorite cd packs...but audiophiles/
audioholics are not defined as people who play and enjoy only cds/dvda disks..
so why let dont we welcome a new technology

well i thought of a different future...
> an audiphile version slot music soon will be coming out.with say same Q tracks as in cds
>people will buy memorycard based music
and backup the music collection at some servers provided by some companies ..just like companies backup essential data
>audiphiles will use card based player /HDD recorders..if one looses his cards...he will retieve from backup service

Last edited:
hey venkat.....i wouldn't be so pessimistic....vinyl died only because CD came out......which offerred an option of greater fidelity and other advantages.....even the cheap and easy cassette tape couldn't really kill off vinyl.....so i think until some true replacement for high fidelity audio reproduction comes along.....the CD should be safe.....:) of course.....let me not stop you from hoarding up on all the CDs that you can buy...

Cheers

which offerred an option of greater fidelity and other advantages

like that along with being compact,lightweight..may be

SlotMusic has some advantages too...

one good thing is it doesnot get scratched out as it is provided with protecting jacket ...

latest news says "64GB pen drives are launched in India"..

i am sure massive capacity SlotMusic discs will also come with very high quality tracks

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back