Small problem with Arcam P80 stereo power amp

Naturelover

Staff member
This amp has connectivity for two pairs of speakers. When I switch it on, LED indicators of both pairs light up and I need to switch off one pair before using the amp. Can anybody suggest some remedy? Am hoping for a simple solution which can be done locally as it is hardly an issue warranting shipping to Mumbai, etc.
EDIT: I have only one pair of speakers connected.

Last edited:
Why is it important to switch off one pair ? If you have only one pair of speakers connected then there is no additional load on the Amp even if both speaker outs get switched on.

Oh, I never realized that. I have always thought that speakers have to be connected before switching on the amp. So there's no problem, then? Great!:)

You would have already read the P80 Manual. If not there is specific note in P80 manual as below :
"NOTE
: If both lights are out the amplifier will appear not
to work, as all speakers are switched off. If both are on,
overloads are more likely if low impedance speakers are
connected"

So you might have to be careful with the connected speaker impedance.

Yes, I had seen that. Now my speakers are 8 ohms. So is it okay to let both speakers' outs remain on?

Had also asked Arcam the same. Their reply concurs with jadish and heliumflight.
"Yes that is correct for the P80 to power up both SP1 and SP2 connectors, you dont need to power one off at all as they both come from the same amplifier stage so if there is nothing connected to that output you dont need to worry at all."

That's a relief! Now why didn't I do this earlier:mad:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back