Smart phone entry

GeorgeO

Got an LG Optimus recently and am slowly entering the new world of Android phones. The possibilities of using some of the apps is to put it mildly, awesome..

Yes, I agree. I saw some of the apps that The Iphone has and was quite amazed by how they have influenced the way users live. I think Android apps are also the same, and once they start getting mainstream will have the same effect here.

Welcome to Android world, George! Do post your favorite apps so others can check them out. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Onavo - data management app.
2. Evernote - cloud-based note/list/to-do app.
3. Squeezebox - controller for your SB devices.
4. Foobar2K - controller for FB2K. Auto-pauses music when the phone rings!

I'll post more when I think of them.
Cheers!

Many games and good apps are now available on Android

Osmos HD
Fling
Azkend
Canabalt HD
2do: Tasks done in style
Wolfram
Shape builder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

optimus had hanging bug in initial series ... i guess they have fixed it .
me happy as SAMSUNG user...

Welcome to Android world, George! Do post your favorite apps so others can check them out. Here are some of my favorites:

4. Foobar2K - controller for FB2K. Auto-pauses music when the phone rings!

I'll post more when I think of them.
Cheers!

Bluu...is this controller for Foobar installed on PC? or is it for a Foobar player on android?

I am looking for controlling my PC (Vista) using my handhelds - blackberry and android froyo. Any suggestions?

Danke!

Here are some of my favourite applications related to music,

Shazam - Discover Music in 15sec
iMedia Share - Play music/movie from PC to mobile, Play Music/Movie from Mobile or PC to any other DLNA devices.
PowerAmp(paid) - best music player
taptalk (paid)- Forum software
Noise meter - measure sound level

You can access android market/play store from PC, read about application and click on install after registering your device in playstore. This will install apps to device without actually accessing play store/android market from device.

Last edited:
I too entered the android world in jan. You can do so much including usinf your phone as a remote for your tv via wifi !! :thumbup:

Cheers

Well,I tried that on my samsung note with a remote software for LG 42 led thru wifi but have got stuck at the pairing password level. The tv shows 6 dots and unless there is a generic set combo password,I am stumped. Any ideas?

Man, it's one addiction you can't resist once you're on it.
Mine started with Windows device Sony Ericson M1i with the basic idea,of having docs on the go. Got tired of it and switched to Android with NexusS some 10 months back. I had the option of Galaxy S at similar price range. S2 was way beyond the budget. I went for the pure google experience then. It's really amazing! Don't have to wait for the manufacturer for upgrades. I got upgrades to 2.3.6 within a couple of months and ICS some five months back.
Then gave it to my wife and got GalaxyS Plus. Sad to know it's never gonna see ICS. But I like the e-mail client bundled with TW Launcher as well as the stock TW dialer.
Now, a fortnight back, got Galaxy Note for my father. The deal was sealed over the Sennheiser bundle offer! Just received the cans a couple of days back. They are simply amazing. I think note is a great device to take your work on the go. It's hand writing capabilities with SPen is really helpful once you get the hang of it.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

.... I wonder why people go for the iPhone. Is it the,wow factor? Coz, you can get any app Or most of them on Android for free while on apple device, you'll pay through your nose..... Any answers? I was getting iPhone 3 on cheaper rates than Galaxy S Plus, but that's the one factor that held me back tightly to Android.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

I bought a Motorola Defy+ a few months ago.

Didn't want anything big, certainly didn't want to risk Rs30,000 slipping out of my pocket, did want something that a rain drop or slight knock wouldn't make useless.

Never thought I'd bother with much in the way of apps, but yes, it's addictive, and I've even paid for a few.

It's silly, but my favourite so far: the one that turns my phone into a spirit level! :lol:

What I most miss: Nokia Maps. No data download, fully offline navigation, free.

So far I have used a paid VoIP app, called Iconnecthere. At home II use Nettalk (another VoIP) using their adapter and connected to cordless phones at home, Iconnect is to use when I am travelling. I used a free Nettalk while I was in the US, using wifi but it apparently doesnt work in India.

I've also downloaded whatsapp and Viber, and find Swype helping me with my butterfingers.

Hey... Happy to see Droid users here....
I am with Gameloft and work on a dying breed called Blackberry :D but yeah every now and then a droid comes up and am all thrilled. I am a SGS2 owner since last yr and I dislike apple products because they are hyped alot more then they deserve, Like the Iphone is a good phone but not worth that much. (Just my opinion. All U Ifans keep your icurses to yourselves)
some good apps that I can think of .....off the top of my head

Some apps that I can refer to because I am using or have used em... are

1. Viber - to use for netcalls with Wifi.. Nothing like it
2. Whats app - One of my favourites
3. Skype - The trusty app recently bought up by Microsoft.
4 Steam Client (For gamers who use Steam client)
5. Battlefield 3 Stats(For players of BF3)
6. Google Sky- Awsome app which I feel is pretty accurate
7. Sound cloud
8 Bartender - For all those people who wana get high uniquely every other time.
9 Recipes - For those self reliant people.
10. barcode Scanner - saves alot of time
11. Battery Dr Saver- Increases battery life
12. juice defender - Increases battery life by optimising
13.imobile - ICICI app
14. lookout Antivirus
15. Manga Watcher - For Manga readers
16. guitar tuner - Someday I will learn to play :D
17.Camera 360
18 BBC News
19. Wheres my water - Fungame
20. Dungeon hunter 2 - Good game from our company
21. Facebook for droid
22. Angry birds space - as well as the old one.
23. Temple run - recently launched for Android and a popular one 2
24. Ninjump - Challenging game for a group
25. Astro manager - For all those HTC,motorola people to use smthing like a
filemanager.

Last edited:
I got Viber up and running, working ok so far. It realy is a whole new world out there. My data plan is the minimal one, I will monitor it for some time and see how it works and then decide if I want to up it. My travel is fairly limited( short gigs), so it is mainly to check email when I am out of town. At home wifi helps minimise data usage.

Woohoo.. tweaked my phone and installed ICS for S2 official launch.. muahhaha!! only saad thing is I lost all my contacts...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back