Smart TV OTT apps or dedicated streamers

AmitG

Hi,

i just bought a new Smart TV (LG OLED). I earlier used to use a Amazon Firestick connected to my AV receiver but the new TV has built in apps for Netflix etc. Is it better to use the apps on the TV and then use the ARC on the TV to send the audio to the amp or would my earlier set-up where the AVR is the centre of everything be a better option? The built in apps seem like a good way to eliminate one gadget but setting up everything with ARC etc seems quite complicated too!

It's entirely based on the functionality and performance of the built in apps on the TV. If you're happy with the selection of apps, the functionality and the performance of the apps - go for it. If not, then pick up an external device like the firestick or the Mi box or the Apple TV.

I have devices with the latest Android TV, where I don't use an external box. I have a projector with some hacked together set of apps, where I use an external Mi Box device. I have older "dumb" TVs - where of course only choice is an external device.

Hi,

i just bought a new Smart TV (LG OLED). I earlier used to use a Amazon Firestick connected to my AV receiver but the new TV has built in apps for Netflix etc. Is it better to use the apps on the TV and then use the ARC on the TV to send the audio to the amp or would my earlier set-up where the AVR is the centre of everything be a better option? The built in apps seem like a good way to eliminate one gadget but setting up everything with ARC etc seems quite complicated too!
LG OLED will have good apps already. Not much difference in performance i guess.
But TVs hv Android UI and Fire tv has its own.
So whichever UI you prefer. I like the Amazon better somehow. No ads.

Interesting post!

TLDR: Continue to use your streambox connected with the AVR.

Let me share my experience:
I had my Motorola 4K streamer box connected to my old Vu non smart tv and decided to detach it when I bought the new QLED TV (also from Moto) and the new Denon AVR (almost puchased simultaneously) thinking anyway the new Android TV has all the OTT apps within. So, without testing out the stremer's functionalities when connected to the AVR, I've started to stream OTT content directly from the TV itself, and always wondered why the AVR's audio out is always 'Multi-Channel Stereo' inspite the fact the TV is having Dolby Atmos audio..

After a couple months (yes its a longtime!) then i had to chance upon a random youtube channel talking about the extending the streamer's possibilities into streaming IPTV channels via internet, so I again took the streamer and connected to the back of the AVR and I was stunned to listen to striking difference the 'DD+' setup has produced compated to that of the M-Ch Strereo and I thought how dumb am i to never even explored this option in the beginning as i was completely new to the Hifi world itseld (before that i was quite happy with a 2.0 setup using Obage, a local made speaker set)..

The difference in the sound quality between the streamer and the default tv apps is like day and night in most cases esp. with the apps like Netflix, Prime video and Hotstar (depends upon the titles that support DD+ audio) & apps like Sunnxt are catching up.

Thus I would suggest you to keep the streamer connected to the AVR to experience the better quality of the surround sound.

But - why I could not enjoy the DD+ encoded sound signal from the TV apps though it supports atmos? Can anyone of you clear this out?!

I used a FireTV Stick before. I then bought Samsung 4K TV which had all smart apps. However the audio quality wasn't great - there would be frequent stutter in the audi - whether it is music or apps like Prime Video. Then I bought Apple TV 4K and it made a world of difference. I have not touched the TV based apps since then

I used a FireTV Stick before. I then bought Samsung 4K TV which had all smart apps. However the audio quality wasn't great - there would be frequent stutter in the audi - whether it is music or apps like Prime Video. Then I bought Apple TV 4K and it made a world of difference. I have not touched the TV based apps since then
Hi do you getting 4k@60Hz kn any ott.
I had appletv4k and sony x80h

The developers are more likely to regularly update their apps for the major streamers digital media players) than for the various smart TVs. - One more reason to opt for the former.

Hi,

Hi

If your AVR can pass through 4k video to the TV, continue using the current streaming setup. I had a similar setup before I purchased my LG OLED but since my AVR was as old as my previous TV (late 2012), it didn't support 4k HDCP pass through.
Since I'm familiar with the Fire TV interface, connected Firestick 4k to the TV HDMI port & Optical out from TV to the AVR.

Hope this helps.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back