SMPS and Class D Amps in AVRs

I have came across many hifi forums.....not just about HFV. And my comment was due to the generalisation from these forums. And many a threads in HFV also implied the better sonic capabilities of Class A.

Btw it's not a 'personal' insinuation particularly targeted to you. It's a general statement of audiophiles as a cohort/population.
I'm too old in this hobby and thick skinned to take offense. So no worries ;)

In the spirit of a forum, I generally don't agree with forceful statements "wah-wah-ing" one technology while "pooh-pooh-ing" another.
So I would suggest folks reading such threads to take in the information presented and sift through what may or may not apply to your use case.

If someone says class A has better sonics and class D is boring, take it with a bag of sea salt.
If someone says class D is super measuring and class A is old tech, take it with a bag of rock salt.
Don't get stuck in a loop, you'll miss out on a lot of fun.

BTW, to the OP by @MIS100
Class D will come to the mass market AVRs in the near future.
But don't expect Class A/B based designs to stop in the market soon after.

Cheers,
Raghu

Disclosure:
If I have the opportunity:
- class A preamp/poweramp combo for music
- AV pre-processor with good class D amplification for HT
- a simple TT setup with a flea-watt tube setup and OB speakers

Cheers,
Raghu
What is becoming popular is the following:

1. Class A or Tube Preamp + Class D 100+ Watts amplifier for music. This should also manage TT. I am leaving sources.
2. AV Processor + Massive multi channel Class D amp (200 watts+) for HT.
3. Good BT self powered speakers for music around the house, or, a Sonos like System.

This is what I am aiming for and I have half of that in place. No TT for me, though.

I had the same confusion a few year ago and this is what someone in the consumer electronics industry told me. "Technically speaking, Class D technology can provide way more quality than what you hear in the current crop of entry to mid level AVRs at way less weight. However, the current class A/B system is now mainstream and you can easily use a cookie cutter approach in production across the industry. The supply chain is very mature and cost effective. AVRs ( especially the entry to mid levels ones ) are a mass market consumer product like mobile phones so parts supply and entire logistics surrounding production is cheaper and helps make these things at such cheap costs. Moving to class D needs the entire industry including the supply chain to move as well. This will take time but will eventually happen."

Small pop and mom shops can actually use class d and make AVRs that rival current top end models made by the mainstream giants. But licensing costs for the many formats will make sure they don't open shop in the first place :)

I had the same confusion a few year ago and this is what someone in the consumer electronics industry told me. "Technically speaking, Class D technology can provide way more quality than what you hear in the current crop of entry to mid level AVRs at way less weight. However, the current class A/B system is now mainstream and you can easily use a cookie cutter approach in production across the industry. The supply chain is very mature and cost effective. AVRs ( especially the entry to mid levels ones ) are a mass market consumer product like mobile phones so parts supply and entire logistics surrounding production is cheaper and helps make these things at such cheap costs. Moving to class D needs the entire industry including theBut licensing costs for the many formats will make sure they don't open shop in the first place :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back