SMSL AD18 amp review (user experience)

Ok, I am planing to buy this Amp from Alibaba /Banggood. After reading your story I am little worry about to make that purchase. But still I cant find any alternative for this Amp with its price(10K).

Just because one user had a bad experience doesn't mean you will also have similar experience.. I had SMSL Q5 Pro (purchased from UK), now with my friend and been working flawlessly for last 2 yrs..

Boston Acoustics A26 is good companion for this amp.

Yes.. They can easily power the speakers..

Better Specs, 5K costlier but 6 months Indian warranty

This product doesn't have digital inputs (USB, Optical, co-axial).. So, if that matters to you, you need to re-think..

Well Known audiophile brand should be able to drive BA26 with Ease

So should the SMSL amps..

No disrespect intended to any brand.. But if you need digital inputs, which can be handy to connect variety of sources, then SMSL / FX Audio is a better choice..

Just because one user had a bad experience doesn't mean you will also have similar experience.. I had SMSL Q5 Pro (purchased from UK), now with my friend and been working flawlessly for last 2 yrs..

Yes.. They can easily power the speakers..

This product doesn't have digital inputs (USB, Optical, co-axial).. So, if that matters to you, you need to re-think..

No disrespect intended to any brand.. But if you need digital inputs, which can be handy to connect variety of sources, then SMSL / FX Audio is a better choice..
Thanks for the replay

I was equally wishful after I bought SMSL M8 DAC , which was simply awesome, and was sounding better than iRdac I had. SMSL M8 didn't give any issues to me. SMSL AD18 gave a problem within few hours of listening.
after that, I bought an SMSL Sanskrit 6th Edition DAC, which developed unbearable Clicks and Pops in 60 hrs of listening, I am still unable to rectify the problem. Hyd GPO not accepting return shipping to China and FedEx quoted 4K , almost Half the price it costed me. Its still lying with me.
With due respect to the Brand, I had 2/3 (66% turned faulty) with their products, So I don't recommend buying from China (buying SMSL from US or UK may be a different experience for obvious reasons).

Yes That can happen with Many brands, but it just reflects poor quality control on the part of the manufacturer. There are many threads on this aspect of SMSL on other HiFi sites. In general these type of products, develop issues within first 6 months if they are faulty, usually they serve well after that. Buyer can try his Luck.

With due respect to the Brand, I had 2/3 (66% turned faulty) with their products, So I don't recommend buying from China (buying SMSL from US or UK may be a different experience for obvious reasons).

Feel sad for your bitter experience with SMSL & the hassle's that you are thru..

I am planning to buy SMSL AD13 or SMSL 36A plus for my balcony ceiling speakers. Bluetooth is a must and I do not want to spend a lot of money as I have another system for critical listening, hence shortlisted these two models. Any thoughts on these or any other option.

Regards,
Vinay

I am planning to buy SMSL AD13 or SMSL 36A plus for my balcony ceiling speakers. Bluetooth is a must and I do not want to spend a lot of money as I have another system for critical listening, hence shortlisted these two models. Any thoughts on these or any other option.

Regards,
Vinay
Don't have much idea about that, its older model of AD18 I think, has QC issues as well.

Picked up the AD18 from Amazon USA. Have used it a few times to drive the Elac B6.
Plays very well and the sound is great via Bluetooth.
Hooked my Pro ject turntable and it plays awesome.

Picked up the AD18 from Amazon USA. Have used it a few times to drive the Elac B6.
Congratulations, Just Keep us updated on your User experience.

I too am thinking of getting this one for a small secondary setup in the bedroom. Has the reliability been good when purchased from Amazon USA?

I too am thinking of getting this one for a small secondary setup in the bedroom. Has the reliability been good when purchased from Amazon USA?
Hi, logged in after some time and hence was not able to update this thread.
My piece actually stopped working a few days ago. Not sure it had to do with the amp being "ON" (without being used for music) while the other components like TV etc was on for 5 to 8 hrs in a day.
Have given it to a technician to look at it along with my other amp.
Will update on the findings in a few days.

Hi, logged in after some time and hence was not able to update this thread.
My piece actually stopped working a few days ago. Not sure it had to do with the amp being "ON" (without being used for music) while the other components like TV etc was on for 5 to 8 hrs in a day.
Have given it to a technician to look at it along with my other amp.
Will update on the findings in a few days.

Thank you...yes been reading a few posts on various forums of the unit going dead suddenly so decided not to get one. Hope you are able to get your unit fixed

I am using SMSL SA36A plus and it is working great since last one year. Remains on almost 24 hours.
Looks like this particular model has issues due to multiple inputs and inbuilt Dac.

Just a heads up - The PSU's on these brands are pretty cheaply made compared to the amps themselves. My SMSL SA98E died in a few months, and it turned out to be a dud PSU. No name caps with voltage ratings pretty close to their rated voltage ( 36V Caps for a 30V PSU)
Might help upgrading to a better PSU

Yes.
Thank you...yes been reading a few posts on various forums of the unit going dead suddenly so decided not to get one. Hope you are able to get your unit fixed
it got fixed. Some capacitors went kaput. The parts were not expensive. But the workshop guy said installing them requires the use of machinery which is expensive. Eventually i paid around 1800.
Got my Aiwa AV-X200 repaired from the same guy so the SMSL has been retired to the cupboard for now.

Yes.

it got fixed. Some capacitors went kaput. The parts were not expensive. But the workshop guy said installing them requires the use of machinery which is expensive. Eventually i paid around 1800.
Got my Aiwa AV-X200 repaired from the same guy so the SMSL has been retired to the cupboard for now.
Having been there and done that, I find it hard to believe. 1800 should be enough to get you a brand new psu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back