SMSL M8 stuck to 384mHz

anubisX

Didn't see any thread about it so I'm posting a problem that I'm seeing on my DAC. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the DAC or the MAC or if it's even a problem :lol:

I bought it from a forum member few months back. My DAC is connected to my MAC Mini via USB and no optical / coaxial option on the MAC; when I turn the MAC on, the DAC shows 44.1kHz and when the MAC starts up, the DAC changes it to 384kHz. And it will stay 384 whatever I play, doesn't matter if I play a DSD64 track.

I've not tried it on my PC so can't say what's happening. I didn't find any firmware update for the MAC either. It didn't require any driver installation unlike Windows.

If you guys own this DAC, I'm sure some of you do, do you see this kind of issue ?

P.S, I'm seeing in Settings that the Output is set to 384000.00 kHz 2ch-32bit Integer.

Last edited:
i have not seen this behavior.. best bet is to try it on your PC and check..

my M8 is connected to a laptop running Win7 and freq changes based on the music. i'm using ASIO to output music to DAC.

There's no option for automatic frequency change in the default audio utility. It's taking the 384kHz and 32bit Integer output as default.

There's no option for automatic frequency change in the default audio utility. It's taking the 384kHz and 32bit Integer output as default.

Then may be it is upsampling everything to 384Khz irrespective of the bit rate. I think usually on Windows sound settings you can select this as the DACs maximum supported format (bit rate). Then on foobar based on the music file the frequency gets selected. I think it should be the same with Mac as well.

Nah, can't find any settings for that. Couldn't find anything on VOX or Audirvana Plus either. Need something in system settings like when I'm playing a YouTube video or something on Wynk.

BitPerfect is $10 and does it override the system app ? I mean system app shows max. frequency as 384kHz and that stays same on every tracks, even DSD files. I couldn't find any such setting on VOX or Clementine where the frequency changes according to the track.

So let's say that this thing is stuck to that particular frequency and doesn't change, what frequency should I set from sound settings ?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back