So i finally start treating my room tomorrow :D

I am not familiar with how REW does this, but what is the db level of decay here? It shows time but I can't understand the level.

RT60 is what I do, but I used to only measure with the Omnimic, I am not familiar with REW.

Bass needs mass period with the right material. I am not familiar with geowool but rockwool is the common used item and would stck with that. A few years ago I heard of people using some form of denim to absorb frequencies as an alternative that was not toxic.

Is cancellation really a absorption issue? Wouldn't you need to move the subs or adjust the time/phase for this? SBIR perhaps?

In any case I know you don't want to hear this but glasswool. Believe it or not it is what I used and works wonders.
Regarding the 60hz cancellation that I have, it is room width induced at 11.5 feet. And my ceiling to floor interaction starts taking over from 65 hz :(

If your looking to flatten it have you considered EQ/DSP?

Is the response at LP or close mic?
Eq and dsp will certainly be used, as I've had great results with them in the past :)

I am not familiar with how REW does this, but what is the db level of decay here? It shows time but I can't understand the level.
The decay rate is good above 130hz. Iam having drops of 25 to 30 dB in 160ms till 150hz right from 20 khz. Of course from there the margin is narrowing, probably no point posting a clip as it is too wide to be specific at any frequency.

IMG-20211028-WA0018.jpg

A quick update, upon the advise of rajith of our parish, I have reversed the polarity for the left bass driver. And this has killed the residual bass boom I was having. The bass is superclean now. Extremely happy with the sound now. So will stop treating my room at this stage, as I don't want to overdamp it anymore. Overall the improvements have been stunning, and this is the biggest jump in sound quality I've ever had. Iam surprised that I won't be needing dsp anymore to tame the bass in the room. Overall Extremely pleased with the results. So will finally now only spend on music, no more on the kit :)

The room is really 70% of the sound. And it is pointless upgrading the components without addressing the room in my opinion :)

The decay seems rather uneven, also I reckon you can fix it up nicely with EQ if flat is what your after. BTW whoever rolled off the top end by almost 20db made a very wise design choice IMO. Your room issues feel more time related than frequency to me.

A quick update, upon the advise of rajith of our parish, I have reversed the polarity for the left bass driver. And this has killed the residual bass boom I was having. The bass is superclean now. Extremely happy with the sound now. So will stop treating my room at this stage, as I don't want to overdamp it anymore. Overall the improvements have been stunning, and this is the biggest jump in sound quality I've ever had. Iam surprised that I won't be needing dsp anymore to tame the bass in the room. Overall Extremely pleased with the results. So will finally now only spend on music, no more on the kit :)

The room is really 70% of the sound. And it is pointless upgrading the components without addressing the room in my opinion :)

Its good to hear that you are enjoying the results after your treatment. :) That was one humongous panel at the back. Hope you took extreme care in covering all your panels.
Now sit back and relax and enjoy your music !

My suggestion as below,
- Add 100gm to 300gm additional Recron fiber stuffing to the TL line to reduce LF resonance.
- the 65 Hz dip correspond to the floor reflection and is a comb filtering issue imo. Try temporally throwing a thick bed or foam on floor to check if that helps.
Hello sir :)

Your goodselves should definitely come home for a listen . After the room treatment, the krypton speakers are sounding like nothing I've ever heard before. Absolutely stunning in every way :)

The decay seems rather uneven, also I reckon you can fix it up nicely with EQ if flat is what your after. BTW whoever rolled off the top end by almost 20db made a very wise design choice IMO. Your room issues feel more time related than frequency to me.
Thanks a ton :)....I could technically add more absorption to reduce decay times further. But on listening, iam having stunning clarity as of now. And most important for me is to retain the energetic vibe in music, as I listen a lot to punk, rock, metal and edm etc. I think my room is just about right for my tastes at the moment. So will just wind and wrap up things come Saturday:)

I will be embarking on my sail soon. So project is on hold till my next vacations. Iam still undecided on the use of absorption panels at first reflection points on the sidewalls. I have 4 panels placed on chairs at the moment, but not mounted to the walls as yet. They add tons of clarity and really sharpen up the imaging, but iam not sure, if iam already bordering on the overdamped territory. Some friends who have heard the system, have commented that it sounds very clean, detailed and smooth. So iam not sure if transients are already being killed through over damping .

My research on absorption vs diffusion on the front wall, has led me to believe, that 3 dimensional diffusers like, skyline diffusers add depth to the sound stage. So plan is to first add this diffusion on the bare front wall, then add more bass trapping at ceiling to wall junctions, and then take a call on adding any further absorption.

So this is where the rooms stands now, till my next return. Sorry for the messy pics, as there is still a lot of wood and tools around :). And I also have to finish the gold beading for the back trap, like the front corner traps :)

And the blue sofa is a sofa cum bed I bought from urban ladder to replace the previous queen size bed that was there in this room. Though iam finding it more comfortable to sleep on the floor carpet as compared to the sofa cum bed. So sacrifices and sacrifices for sound quality :D

IMG_22012022_030326_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpgIMG_22012022_025447_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpgIMG_22012022_030050_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

I will be embarking on my sail soon. So project is on hold till my next vacations. Iam still undecided on the use of absorption panels at first reflection points on the sidewalls. I have 4 panels placed on chairs at the moment, but not mounted to the walls as yet. They add tons of clarity and really sharpen up the imaging, but iam not sure, if iam already bordering on the overdamped territory. Some friends who have heard the system, have commented that it sounds very clean, detailed and smooth. So iam not sure if transients are already being killed through over damping .

My research on absorption vs diffusion on the front wall, has led me to believe, that 3 dimensional diffusers like, skyline diffusers add depth to the sound stage. So plan is to first add this diffusion on the bare front wall, then add more bass trapping at ceiling to wall junctions, and then take a call on adding any further absorption.

So this is where the rooms stands now, till my next return. Sorry for the messy pics, as there is still a lot of wood and tools around :). And I also have to finish the gold beading for the back trap, like the front corner traps :)

And the blue sofa is a sofa cum bed I bought from urban ladder to replace the previous queen size bed that was there in this room. Though iam finding it more comfortable to sleep on the floor carpet as compared to the sofa cum bed. So sacrifices and sacrifices for sound quality :D

View attachment 66434View attachment 66435View attachment 66436
Godspeed, sir. Safe travels.
Look forward to more updates on return.

Hello sir :)

Your goodselves should definitely come home for a listen . After the room treatment, the krypton speakers are sounding like nothing I've ever heard before. Absolutely stunning in every way :)
Thanks for inviting. I shall definitely visit after your return from sail. But again I felt that adding around 300 GM's to 500 GM's of additional stuffing to the terminus would have saved you lots of trouble of room treatment imo. Hope you shall allow me to do some tinkering with the stuffing.

Enjoy your music.

Regarding the 60hz cancellation that I have, it is room width induced at 11.5 feet. And my ceiling to floor interaction starts taking over from 65 hz :(

Eq and dsp will certainly be used, as I've had great results with them in the past :)

The decay rate is good above 130hz. Iam having drops of 25 to 30 dB in 160ms till 150hz right from 20 khz. Of course from there the margin is narrowing, probably no point posting a clip as it is too wide to be specific at any frequency.

View attachment 63445
This is comb filtering happening because of interaction with front wall. Your front wall needs more absorption to reduce the high/low Q points. Another option is to try Golden Ratio speaker placement to reduce room resonance. We can explore these when I come down for a listen.

Mano Sir, Neenga ponga, Unga thread-kku onnum aagathu
(Mano Sir, you sail, nothing will happen to this thread till you come back.)

People, it's kinda not cool speaking to a person who has left the forum, especially after he explicitly said he is doing so.

All those who pinged after he said he is setting sail, he will respond when he is back, of course! But just not done.

(Unless of course, Mano Sir is reading all this, and having fun on ship or port)

Last edited:
This is comb filtering happening because of interaction with front wall. Your front wall needs more absorption to reduce the high/low Q points. Another option is to try Golden Ratio speaker placement to reduce room resonance. We can explore these when I come down for a listen.
Sure sir :)

Will fondly await your visit, to tweak things further. At the moment I find it hard to imagine that further improvements can be had. But any and all improvements are most welcome :)

@Yelamanchili manohar - sorry for trolling your post - it is a fantastic setup and a pure treat to the eyes and I am sure it must be an aural heaven too.

off topic - how long does it take you to switch on this whole thing and how long before you can play a song? :p
Haha.... no worries chander. Takes about 2 minutes. Mainly for the tube amps to warm up and come out of protection. The entire power is wired up such that, everything is connected all the time from a single switch. So I just have to Start up individual equipment as needed.

Today happened to see your thread Mano ji:) .You have made a great effort for room treatments. For me it's happy to help on a small part .Enjoy your music.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back