So, what can we do to reduce noise, pollution this Deepavali/Diwali?

Analogous

We know it’s difficult to deal with obstinacy through social pressure.
There are indications that several state governments have banned or are contemplating banning fireworks.
Hopefully this universally good move will not get politicised.
So many reasons this is good: (pollution-environment- health- fire accidents- hearing- pets-animals…more?)
So, what can we do to support this?

If we are Serious about Environmental effects, we should be changing our habits all around the year, Not only during 4 days of Diwali!
"Poore Saal Apna Vyavhaar Badlo ; Tyohaar nahin!"

Otherwise its all very well depicted by this great Stand up act by none other than George Callin (Must Watch) !!

We know it’s difficult to deal with obstinacy through social pressure.
There are indications that several state governments have banned or are contemplating banning fireworks.
Hopefully this universally good move will not get politicised.
So many reasons this is good: (pollution-environment- health- fire accidents- hearing- pets-animals…more?)
So, what can we do to support this?

There is no point singling out fireworks for one festival to achieve what you describe.

Many changes must be made year long.

The industrial sector is a far worse offender of pollution than a few days of fireworks IMO.

I believe the below shows the true picture of what we do...in the end the biggest issue , IMHO is over consumption where we keep buying clothes/food/electronics... etc etc and everything from the manufacturing to logistics causes issues..far more than any firecracker can.

carbon footprint.jpeg

At times, it makes me a bit sad when every time during Diwali, we are made to feel that Diwali is the only reason for all the pollution around us (which is factually not even close to reality, though). Most people are sensible enough these days, and more and more are adapting to eco-friendly Diwali. There are other occasions around the year that cause more damage to the environment in different ways, but everyone chooses to keep a mum during those times. So, please stop preaching; if we are serious about our environment, we have to change our habits throughout the year.

A car, less on the road, a tree, more in the neighborhood will make the earth a bit more 'Better Place to Live.

At times, it makes me a bit sad when every time during Diwali, we are made to feel that Diwali is the only reason for all the pollution around us (which is factually not even close to reality, though). Most people are sensible enough these days, and more and more are adapting to eco-friendly Diwali. There are other occasions around the year that cause more damage to the environment in different ways, but everyone chooses to keep a mum during those times. So, please stop preaching; if we are serious about our environment, we have to change our habits throughout the year.

A car, less on the road, a tree, more in the neighborhood will make the earth a bit more 'Better Place to Live.
I agree with this.

While I may not be the most eco minded person, I do agree that diwali is not the issue here.

It's a great question in a great forum.
I'll limit myself to the question at hand.
Low SPL firecrackers that use only regulated chemicals, made in non-exploitative factories that pay better wages.
That's the solution.

I come from a part of the country that is a virtual stone's throw away from the big makers. I can tell you there was literally a loudness war going on between the manufacturers in the famous town in the early 1990s. The war was in just one segment - called the Laskhmi vedi, aka sutli bomb/russi bomb. The top manufacturers kept trying longer jute wound tighter with the same ammo, while the competitors just went for more ammo in a thinner wound jute.

By 2000, the loudness war had migrated to pyro, and these same manufacturers worked towards more bang and brightness.
They all just ended up overdoing it, their competing products just flooded the markets, and here were with people in 2021 fighting an ideological battle.

Just tighter regulations on what they can use and how much they can use will give a better Diwali for the entire country. But the industry is highly unregulated and too powerful.

Having said that, a majority of revellers use only sparkles of phuljadi type things, which also need regulations, but they don't disturb anyone overtly. It is these 'bombs' that cause the real problem. And the 'sara vedi', the threaded terror - measured in 'wallah' - 500wallah, 1000wallah, 10,000wallah... meaning small firecrackers measured in multiples. The sustained noise they make are a pain for anyone.

PS: It is only the very sensitive of the ears, oldies, and pet parents who used to complain back in the 1990s too... Today, it is the same demographic that is complaining. Only, the SPLs are way off the charts. I'd venture an uneducated guess to say that in the Lakshmi bomb loudness war days, it might have been a race to 90-95 dB. Today's firecrackers easily hit 140+

Aside: Did you know a box of matches finally is going to become 2 rupees soon after some 20 years? Same industry, which has faced this social media stigmatisation without any genuine regulation.

It's a great question in a great forum.
I'll limit myself to the question at hand.
Low SPL firecrackers that use only regulated chemicals, made in non-exploitative factories that pay better wages.
That's the solution.

I come from a part of the country that is a virtual stone's throw away from the big makers. I can tell you there was literally a loudness war going on between the manufacturers in the famous town in the early 1990s. The war was in just one segment - called the Laskhmi vedi, aka sutli bomb/russi bomb. The top manufacturers kept trying longer jute wound tighter with the same ammo, while the competitors just went for more ammo in a thinner wound jute.

By 2000, the loudness war had migrated to pyro, and these same manufacturers worked towards more bang and brightness.
They all just ended up overdoing it, their competing products just flooded the markets, and here were with people in 2021 fighting an ideological battle.

Just tighter regulations on what they can use and how much they can use will give a better Diwali for the entire country. But the industry is highly unregulated and too powerful.

Having said that, a majority of revellers use only sparkles of phuljadi type things, which also need regulations, but they don't disturb anyone overtly. It is these 'bombs' that cause the real problem. And the 'sara vedi', the threaded terror - measured in 'wallah' - 500wallah, 1000wallah, 10,000wallah... meaning small firecrackers measured in multiples. The sustained noise they make are a pain for anyone.

PS: It is only the very sensitive of the ears, oldies, and pet parents who used to complain back in the 1990s too... Today, it is the same demographic that is complaining. Only, the SPLs are way off the charts. I'd venture an uneducated guess to say that in the Lakshmi bomb loudness war days, it might have been a race to 90-95 dB. Today's firecrackers easily hit 140+

Aside: Did you know a box of matches finally is going to become 2 rupees soon after some 20 years? Same industry, which has faced this social media stigmatisation without any genuine regulation.

I don't know about you but as a child I quite enjoyed the sound AND lights of diwali. Without the sound they loose a lot of their impact and magic.

To put it another way, would you like a HT without sound?

This planet has survived for quite a bit. Few days, every year, ain't gonna kill it.

This dikkat, it's as beneficial as charging your spanking new EV from coal generated electricity.

@Analogous
Do you support GOI on the issue of environment protection? Or do you have issues? Because it aooears so...

Because nobody except Kejriwal seems to give a crap about crakers. Just saying

Last edited:
@Analogous I personally don't support this, even though I enjoy a lot your posts due to intellectual curiosity. I am not biased and I don't like biased posts until/unless they are openly declared so
Bro, your first five words would have sufficed. The next 12 don't matter. The next 16 even less so. So, what was so offensive about his post?!

Bro, your first five words would have sufficed. The next 12 don't matter. The next 16 even less so. So, what was so offensive about his post?!
Nothing, just that it said INDIVIDUALS can cause a great damage to environment by bursting crackers on Diwali. He wanted to know how to stop it.

@Analogous
Do you support GOI on the issue of environment protection? Or do you have issues? Because it aooears so...

Because nobody except Kejriwal seems to give a crap about crakers. Just saying
Bro, this is an AV forum. Why you asking about a well-respected forum member's (FM's) political leanings?
And much as you edit your original thought, there is no escaping your original thought.

Bro, this is an AV forum. Why you asking about a well-respected forum member's (FM's) political leanings?
And much as you edit your original thought, there is no escaping your original thought.
Because he started a political debate - dont you think the subject kinda gives it away? And what is the measure you have to judge some as a well respected member of a forum?

So, what can we do to reduce noise, pollution this Deepavali/Diwali?​

Because he started a political debate
He did not, sir.
- dont you think the subject kinda gives it away?
Am not a mind reader.
And what is the measure you have to judge some as a well respected member of a forum?
To begin with, that's his badge given by the forum. Beyond that, I - and many others in this forum - can personally vouch him.

So, what can we do to reduce noise, pollution this Deepavali/Diwali?​

This is an AV forum bro, what harm happens to Diwali if we reduce SPL of firecrackers from 140+ to 95 dB?!
It will just help all of our (surviving) parents or even forum members live in peace.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back