so.. whats in a Naim ?

With the disclaimer, audio is subjective, if the speaker designer is not able to hear any changes with respect to stands or other tweaks, then I guess marketing by the other product companies adds bias to people's opinions....

If certain stands did make a difference, I see no reason why the speaker designer/company would not endorse as it would only make their product sound better...

If certain stands did make a difference, I see no reason why the speaker designer/company would not endorse as it would only make their product sound better...
you could be right..but many manufacturers do not really recommend any specific product as they dont want to annoy the others .

I think informally Alan Shaw used to hint at Skylan being the paired match.i guess he has stopped doing that now.

coming back to the topic of stands for the Epos M12i Epos recommends the ST12i stands very clearly for the M12i standmount speaker.

Why would they do that specifically ?

The ST12i doesnt cost much ( relatively speaking ) in the sense it used to retail at Pound 165. Its avbl in the USA for $299. It is not made any more as the M12i's are discontinued. It doesnt make sense to get it from the west as the freight would be prohibitive compared to the cost of the product and the improvements it may bring about.

Check this ST12i | Epos Acoustics

I think its rather unquantifiable as to how much difference these stands would make unless i bite the bullet. Nobody i know of has been down this stand changing route before.

Welcome more wisdom, knowledge and fun on this thread.

regards,
mpw

I would suggest you get stands made locally....Whether you want wood or metal, it is your choice....I have been looking for decent stands since the last 2 years and collecting tons of pictures but still have not got down to getting one made...

Still confused between a wooden stand or metal stands....Also don't like the looks of the lossy stands for Harbeths and since I have not heard my speakers on them, can't really figure if they are better than a good solid wooden or metal stand...

Floor standers save one from the whole stand confusion thing, and that is, seriously, one reason I prefer them. But, if one has already chosen otherwise...

Floor standers save one from the whole stand confusion thing, and that is, seriously, one reason I prefer them. But, if one has already chosen otherwise...

You prefer floorstanders to avoid stands
What about Floorstanders as stands? :lol: lol
I am keeping this option open even now!
But yes there's this passive radiator science coming into picture..

What about the hyper-purist view that even the presence of another speaker in the same room can affect the sound? Or are you thinking of "tuning" that?

It's funny but a stand mount + stand is really a floorstander ! And the type of stand hence impacts the sound of the "floorstander" :)

That's why certain speakers like wilson duettes and SF guarnaries , jmr, usher etc come with their own custom stands. Even the entry level cadence speakers were stand matched for optimum performance

Last edited:
Epos has a new replacement for the ST12i stands.

These are the ST15 and curiously these are open frame too with almost similar dimensions to the St12i. Only thingy they claim to use CLD to absorb vibrations and eliminate ringing and i suspect that would kack up the price quite well.

What is in the design of the Epos speaker that makes then recommend open frame stands ?

The older M12i did not have a conventional crossover and the new Elan and Epic series have conventional crossovers. Therefore crossovers cannot be the reason.

What about cabinets ?

mpw

What about cabinets ?

mpw

Mpw, I use FM Magma's (Ali) designed pair of extruded aluminium open frame stands. Prior to that I used a conventional pair of Paradigm stands (meant for the Studio series), which was a rigid welded construction and a fillable center post. I used it unfilled. Was there a difference between the two? I would like to say that there was night and day difference but not really. Ultimately after a few back and forth comparisons I preferred Magma's stands, felt that resolution was better and soundstage was deeper. Is this because my Harbeth Shl5's use thin walled cabinets which resonate, and the open frame design helps accentuate this characteristic - that makes the speaker sound so good - or something else? Dunno - and Alan Shaw himself does not advice one way or another. Ultimately the only way you will know is to compare two types of stands in your own listening room. Perhaps there is a reason that Epos is recommending these. And since you are in Mumbai should be easy enough to get Magma make you a pair.
Cheers,
Sid

What about the hyper-purist view that even the presence of another speaker in the same room can affect the sound? Or are you thinking of "tuning" that?

actually everything in a room including humidity/temperature and no of people do affect sound waves..its physics.
Now how much of it one can actually hear of it is a different question !

new shoes for the Epos M12i..

hope to listen to this a bit more before i turn to shakespearean prose :lol:

But off the starting blocks.. i can say that Epos M12i needs this open frame stands more than the conventional center column one. Coming off a 4 hour listening session from last night which alost put me to sleep in a nice way.

Got a new rocking chair matching the tweeter height you see :yahoo:

Have put up the CDP on a wooden base too ( change from glass )

Hope to get a nice carpet going before too long.

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
The stands look nice. Not sure about the difference it would make in SQ, for that I think I should start planning the long overdue trip to your home. :)

ruenigma,

hear it to believe it.. proof of the pudding is in the eating no ?

;-))

mpw

hi,

after the 2nd long listening session with a few of my favorite CD's and some new ones.. i must say the change in listening position and the new stands have made the music much more livelier.

earlier i found the music to have a bit of "boom" in it and now the boom is gone and replaced with a much more earthy sound character which i like. The tweeters at ear level and the midbass unit closer to the ground makes the drums much more life like..the kick of the kick drum is wonderful to hear.

On some passages the highs are quite detailed but never too sharp,

One of the new CD's i listened to was by the African artist Salif Kleita - Anthology and the combo of tuneful African folk ( shall i say ) simply was too good. Felt refreshed.

Overall i am enjoying the setup very much.

There is still work to do on the tri corner ceiling traps and hopefully will get a chance to execute it this month.

The nemisis stands are at the moment in a corner - for no fault of theirs. It was my foolishness to not look for stands which the manufacturer strongly recommended ( open frame stands ).

the new stands are lighter too and this means that i can move the speakers around much more easily to position them into the room and about 9ft apart - when required.

I must hasten to add that the nemisis are lovely stands by themselves but i suppose they would do full justice to a standmount which goes with the conventional center column and heavy weight stands.. something like the Dynaudio standmounts or paradigm or PSB or Focal or Wharfies.. for that matter.

the Epos M12i is a different kettle of fish - design wise and they will do better with open frame stands.

It is not the stands alone but also the fact that i have a new rocking chair ( selected for correct listening height for me ) and that the CDP is on a nice thick wooden base.

Little things add up to the big stuff..

On this thread on the first page there is a photo with the Nemisis stands and on the previous page with the new stands.. you may see the diff for yourself.

Ruenigma - i think there is a diff in SQ. Wager a few beers ? :)

So here is to the little things..:cheers:

mpw

emperor with new shoes
looking good

sounding good too

let my ceraballs arrive from coat
you can take a demo
i gaurantee much better resolution and dynamics

we have done an AB at Shanti (bhagwans) home with stillpoints
my ceraballs sounded better on his sytem

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back