so.. whats in a Naim ?

here is the pic of a tri corner trap in the room. I hope you can see it :)

have been using these ( 2 ) since last night and frankly need more time and more music to judge.

Have a few more traps that can be fitted along the corners maybe i will do that too..

Looks like i will be driven outta my home soon if i make the hall look like a studio :lol:

Last night too i watched the RR vs MI match till it was over ( on mute ) with music playing.. and i enjoyed it again.. i really couldn't make out the diff as i was too lazy to remove the traps and check..

maybe over the course of the week i would try that..

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish we could train the spiders to do something like that! :)

Aesthetically, I can't see too much ground for complaints there: I'm sure you could go further without being chased out! Some of the room-treatment stuff I've seen on the net (it has been discussed here) is pretty arty-looking: a long way from the dull egg-box stereotype of studio walls. Bright colours, visually interesting shapes --- given access to those materials, and the finance, one could have a lot of decorative fun as well as sonic fun. In fact, it would be oh-so-easy to overdo it.

Your family members are very adjusting to have these traps installed in your living rooms. I am sure i cannot convince my wife for such aesthetics. She will tell me that I have gone crazy and I will require help and should visit a doc instead.

anyway

on a serious note

the SoundFoundations Isopods should be ready soon

Also we are investing in some moulds and soon we should have 4 new products
1. One product will be for soundproofing and room acoustics
2. the other 3 products will be for monitor and speaker isolation on desks and shelves
(we are trying to tap into the studio market for both of the above)

anyway

on a serious note

2. the other 3 products will be for monitor and speaker isolation on desks and shelves

Would you please write to me about corner traps if you will be doing these. Thanks.

Your family members are very adjusting to have these traps installed in your living rooms. I am sure i cannot convince my wife for such aesthetics. She will tell me that I have gone crazy and I will require help and should visit a doc instead.
==============================================

cannot agree with you more hari. Without their understanding maybe i would not have been able to try half the things i am trying.

its here that aesthetics becomes important and the bass traps which i have used are on a loaner. There are from eigthnerve australia.

Not that the brand is important but on this journey its good to experiment and see what works for you.

regards,
mpw

both the products you mention ali will be good to have on your portfolio at soundfoundations. :clapping:

I wish you luck and am sure many many folks like me want a solution that is reasonable in price ( considering it is no rocket science ) while at the same time value adding to the decor. The Decor aspect needs attention as if you are targeting the residential market its quite obvious to infer.

Also you will be tapping into a nascent market in India and with growing incomes and the realization that the room is half the sound.

i would want to try the item you emailed me about with the brochure.

Let me know when its feasible.

mpw
=========================================================

anyway

on a serious note

I wish we could train the spiders to do something like that! :)

Aesthetically, I can't see too much ground for complaints there: I'm sure you could go further without being chased out! Some of the room-treatment stuff I've seen on the net (it has been discussed here) is pretty arty-looking: a long way from the dull egg-box stereotype of studio walls. Bright colours, visually interesting shapes --- given access to those materials, and the finance, one could have a lot of decorative fun as well as sonic fun. In fact, it would be oh-so-easy to overdo it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

bro,

my BB has a very poor camera so forgive the ugly pic. In reality it looks a bit better.

I agree with you it can be so easy to overdo and the search for something that contributes to the decor while doing its job unobtrusively continues.

This is only an experiment. The final shape i am hopeful will be much better and maybe will take about 6 months.

trust all well otherwise.

mpw

Wow. The closest I can get to real listening room these days is ...headphones.

Still, I have only myself to blame: there were larger and better properties available at the same price when we bought this one.

Had a little listening to mpw's set-up in current iteration post following changes done by him.

Placement of ceiling corner traps
wooden shelf in place of glass shelf for his source (Marantz CDP)
Open End Stands

Played lots of music familiar to me & also to mpw.

Observations:

Speakers sound different with change of stands. Goes to show that design philosophy of audio equipments should always be adhered to, for the greater benefit & optimization of the equipment to perform to the best of its capability.

System has been optimized to the max. Besides a few tweaks, which might give a miniscule percentage of improvement to the sound, I think its now running to its maximum capacity.

If mpw is looking for more & is hit by the keeda(bug) :D then he has to take a huge leap budget wise to get there.

Personally, I feel he is happy where he is at the moment & he should be, for sure.

End of the session, we were just discussing about what if he were to start off today with the same set of requirements which lead him to where he is right now, keeping in mind the same budget & that of not having the same system components available to him.... Guess what.... we both were stumped! Nothing available currently in the market to get to the level where is is at the moment & that is a worrying situation for anyone of us to be in :(

Food for thought

:sad:

System has been optimized to the max. Besides a few tweaks, which might give a miniscule percentage of improvement to the sound, I think its now running to its maximum capacity.

Wow... that would make me very happy indeed! Time to stop bothering about details and just enjoy the music. Superb :D

@mpw, I too am eager to listen to your new setup & the Niam. Do let me know when it can be possible the next week. May be i can carry my Kevlar TL BS too with the modified cross-overs. I also wanted to test the Kevlar with a high-end amplifier which i have not been able to do till date.

old post..new info and thats why i resumed this one :)

Today .. i played a TT for the first time since 1977. Yes.. that many years back was when i last heard a decent TT. My late uncle was a music lover and elsewhere i have mentioned his collection of LP's and Philips TT and the HiQ system he owned and made me listen to. I remember his malayalam collection especially Yesudas..

I thought of him today when i switched on the TT.

( I have heard TT but never owned or played one since then )

Couple of weeks back..on a lark.. i requested Mr Kuruvila Jacob to select and send me a suitable TT. I explained to him my usage, my music taste and a budget to work with. He selected the Technics SL23 for me and i received it few days back Thank you sir !

( it got hand carried by rail :lol: by a friend coming from trichur ).

Got a used phono stage - Project phono ) and an Elton John LP and 2 James Last LP's in excellent condition ( Thank you mate :) ) and i was ready to roll.

I was curious to just make a start and see where it goes.

Let me just say that analog has a very distinct signature. Many things are known about it and so repetition is not meaningful.

My system is pretty simple with the Technics + Naim Integrated + Epos M12i but i loved what i heard.

Still have to do some fine tuning and stuff but i think i got a good start. Many thanks to all the folks whom i have come across on this forum and had a very nice interaction with.

here is a snap taken from my BB .. forgive the pic quality.. but i assure you the Sound quality is very good.

I shudder to think what would happen if the chain were really hifi topclass !!

I think life just got a bit more complicated :)

mpw

I saw this TT at Mr. Kuruvila's place two sundays back. It looked as good as new! Congrats!

Welcome to to the vinyl brotherhood! Enjoy! :)

have been playing the TT and playing with the TT too :))

i find that its getting better as i play more and more..

The TT used to vary a bit on speed but has stabilised now after giving it a soft increase in the fine feedback for 33 rpm.

If i leave the Project phonobox On for about half hour before playing.. i finds it better..

But all the same i am convinced by the need to experiment with a new cart firstly and look at the phono a little later..

the quest continues..

:))

mpw

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back