so.. whats in a Naim ?

You guys do know that mounting absorber panels on surfaces with an air gap of a min of 3" by using standoffs/spacers gives the panel a lot more surface area exposure and makes it a lot more effective in absorption - right?

beautiful mpw...would be a pleasure to listen to music in this setup. whats your listening position ?

@arj

mainly on the sofa and below the scenery painting... sometimes on the other 90 deg sofa... sometimes when i want to listen at night and at lower volume- then i pull the brown couch out into position and sit about 9 ft from the speakers..

i find it hard to sit and listen ( fixed in 1 position ) for more than 1 hour

One of my favorite records i bought while on a visit to the USA a few years ago.

I remember the long drive with my brother, the blue summer mid west sky and the record store where i got this on sale..... Steely Dan - Greatest Hits...

R-1823786-1253778476.jpeg.jpg

I have played this record many times in the past so i am very familiar...

But what i am not familiar with is expressing myself in audiophile terminologies and writing a review...

:eek:

This is because - each time i discover something better - i start wondering - what was i excited about thus far ???

Just want to say - the bass is lesser but the quality is much better - i mean there is less boominess - there is more clarity in the upper registers as well..

I may be biased because sweat tastes sweet in cases like this...

So maybe i will leave it for one of us to come over sometime and describe it for you.

But let me tell you this - please research and do this for yourself - its worth it...

Your listening spaces may be smaller or larger but please study your room and make basic stuff like these simple absorbers...

it goes a long way in maximizing your electronics..

regards

There's no scientific reason that comes to my mind why it would be applicable for horizontal surfaces and not for vertical surfaces.

Just a thought - ceiling panels tend to be lighter / less thicker so the air gap helps ??

The absorbers on the wall - can be made thicker - there is less danger of it falling so maybe no gap essential..??

Just thinking aloud...

Mahesh has been inviting us since a long time , specially after recent changes.
Would love to go once but for now difficult due to a medical emergency at home

I am hoping to :-

a. Measure my room ( acoustically ) and find out the gaps and what can be done best - given the constraints i have.

I made the absorbers first as my gut feel told me this would be of benefit - this would be better than diffusers behind the speaker.

There is a suggestion that 6 inch is too thick but i have read that an absorber starts to really work after 4 inch thickness so i selected 6 inches - which is greater than 4 inches and doesnt get too big aesthetically as well.

b. Looking at MiniDSP - i would have been horrified of this suggestion a few months ago - but a discussion on another forum intrigues me.

c. Considering a larger 18 inch subwoofer ( again DiY ) - this will be ( hopefully ) last of these steps

This is a journey and it will continue.

I am aware that my setup ( even after the glowing words by me ) might not be at the purist levels which you may expect and so dont expect any great shakes from my modest system.

It plays to its limits .....though i must add - its fun to push the envelope and therefore to push the limits... :)

regards

There is a suggestion that 6 inch is too thick but i have read that an absorber starts to really work after 4 inch thickness so i selected 6 inches - which is greater than 4 inches and doesnt get too big aesthetically as well.
Not true. If only it were so simple. The short truth to this is that this depends mainly upon the frequencies one is targeting, the absorption material used and the density of the absorption material among others.
I made the absorbers first as my gut feel told me this would be of benefit - this would be better than diffusers behind the speaker.
I wish I had a wise gut like yours. All my gut tells me these days is to get out, exercise more and to reduce my gut! :)

Wondering if mpw or someone could shed some light on the so called criticality of using Naim cables for Naim amps.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back