Software to access headless Windows music PC without internet

I use XBMC on my laptop and the XBMC remote app called "yatse" on my android. Works like a charm.

Thanks Sam.
I read on the net that RDP is supported only in Win 8.1 pro. My laptop info merely says "Windows 8.1".
The Remote Settings window looks like this. (No Remote Desktop options)

Anyway, I downloaded the Remote Desktop app from Windows store. I am now being asked for my credentials (user name and password). Now what are these?

Ok this means you can take RDP of this machine running just 8.1. You need pro if you want to take RDP "from" that machine and not "of" that machine .... hope you got that ... :)

Since your laptop (from which you wanna take RDP) has only 8.1 and not pro I dont think you can take RDP from laptop "of" your music PC. The app might solve this I dont know, never tried. About the credentials, well the one condition for RDP is that the machine you take the RDP off should have a local credentials created, hence the app asking for the same. I would suggest create a local account on your Music PC and then try taking RDP from laptop via the app you downloaded. When the app asks for credentials put the one you just created.

You can create a new account in 8.1 from control panel->user accounts. make sure you create a password for what ever username you supply.

If all fails, get team viewer, and PM me, we can set a time and I can take remote of your machine and set things up ...:D :)

You can create a new account in 8.1 from control panel->user accounts. make sure you create a password for what ever username you supply.

Thanks again, Sam.
Got the music PC desktop on the laptop through RDP :).
But now the music is playing through the laptop speakers. When controlling from the iPad via Splashtop, the music plays through the music PC --> stereo. I tested again from the iPad just to make sure.
I disabled the laptop speakers but that did not work.
I also tried the playback output options in foobar2000 but no music :sad:.

Do the following:

Remote Desktop Connection -> Local Resources -> Remote Audio -> Settings -> Remote Audio Playback -> Play On Remote Computer.

Currently this should be set as Play on This Computer hence playing on the laptop.

Do the following:

Remote Desktop Connection -> Local Resources -> Remote Audio -> Settings -> Remote Audio Playback -> Play On Remote Computer.

Currently this should be set as Play on This Computer hence playing on the laptop.

That did it, thanks

Thanks again, Sam.
Got the music PC desktop on the laptop through RDP :).
But now the music is playing through the laptop speakers. When controlling from the iPad via Splashtop, the music plays through the music PC --> stereo. I tested again from the iPad just to make sure.
I disabled the laptop speakers but that did not work.
I also tried the playback output options in foobar2000 but no music :sad:.

yes exactly what @Hassan told I would have suggested ......he beat me on the answer ...DAMM I hate that ... lolzzz :D :D :D Kidding ... glad all worked. And I think you would agree that RDP is very fast, very much like you are on the machine itself.

Last edited:
yes exactly what @Hassan told I would have suggested ......he beat me on the answer ...DAMM I hate that ... lolzzz :D :D :D Kidding ... glad all worked. And I think you would agree that RDP is very fast, very much like you are on the machine itself.

Thanks Sam. You are up there among the most knowledgeable and helpful FMs:clapping:. It's guys like you who keep the rest of us coming back for more :eek:hyeah:
Yes, RDP is definitely far better than Splashtop at least.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back