Solar installation experiences

Donivlapog

Hello all,

I am planning to go solar from maybe Jan end 2023 onwards. My requirement is 5kw on the grid 3 phase. I am getting billed for 2400 units each two months (bill cycle) and since the slab has gone higher, i have decided to go for solar.

Would appreciate if you could share your experiences and approximate cost i would have to bear. Also per day on an average how many units does a 5kw generate that you can vouch for as against their claims of 20 units per day.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats! Good decision taken, given the fact that the current bills are shot up and its always good to have energy backup which is green.

I've just completed installing solar system for my house on Nov 22nd EoD, with a 1kw on 3 phase + a 130L solar water heater.
While the solar panels with invereter have been installed already and now being up and running, am still waiting for the water heater to be installed. It would be done by next tuesday (Nov 29) max.

The process was smoother and it costed me around 87k for the materials alone, comprising of:
  • UTL solar panels of 545w x 2 nos
  • UTL Gamma+ solar inverter 2kva/24v x 1 pc.
  • Exide solar batteries 105 Ah x 2 nos.

I've been taking the readings from the EB meter since the next day, ie from Nov 23rd by 12.10pm noon onwards. And per the calculations I had observed that I am spending around 4-5 units a day with the solar operational from morning to evening, after that the load runs from the battery backup for some 5-6 hrs, then it start to pull power from the EB (grid). And, we're still using the storage electric water heater (geyser) for bathing for a ppl of 5 - remember solar water heater is yet to be installed.

Before the solar setup, my household consumes power of 12-15 units a day, now it has been reduced almost to half of the previous usage.
Again, its very new and I am putting it to the test and try evaluating the real-time consumption and savings. Till now its performance seems a bit satisfactory with a few niggles here and there.

Most ppl would know abt the pros but here are a couple of cons:
  • The solar inverter's UI is confusing and one would need some learning curve to get acquainted with it.
  • In case of rains / gloomy weather one would not get the complete power from the batteries.
  • Loading heavy electric items like underground submersible pump, geyser, washing machine are not feasible for a 1kw load.

In your case of running 5kw load, i guess the consumption would definitely come down to an extent where you could halve the bill, or go even lesser.

Would suggest you to go with any panel but in case of 5kw, pls select panels with highest wattage as it would be help reduce the space in your rooftop/terrace. (Eg: 545W x 10 nos. or above this).
You would need some decent spacing to keep your batteries lying along with the Inverter.

Pro Tip:
Go for higher wattage (5kw in your case) if you think its absolutely necessary. In my case I've initally thought of buying 2kw but the executives from UTL adviced to go for a 1kw one as usage is pretty much under limits usually, and 100% we would not opeatate every gadget at the same time thus a 1kw system would be a fair game. So please think abt your load and question yourself that you gonna operate all electric items (big & small) all at once... if you dont get to operate all / most electric items, then I would say 5kw may be an overkill for your needs.

Reg my household's daytime load connected with solar:
  • 55" QLED TV + HT
  • 1 double door fridge with safety rated as 2 stars, running 24/7
  • 4 Ceiling fans,
  • 4 LED tubelights,
  • 4 small LED bulbs,
  • 1 Light for street/facade,
  • 1 doom light,
  • 1 induction stove (instructed to use only within 300w)
  • 1 mixer grinder
Hope you'd gotten some context?!

Last edited:
Would appreciate if you could share your experiences and approximate cost i would have to bear. Also per day on an average how many units does a 5kw generate that you can vouch for as against their claims of 20 units per day.
Between 500..600 units a month on average is what you can expect, depends on the location, obstructions on E, S, W sides, dust in the area etc. 2.5L is a fair budget.

There is a big thread on TBHP, you can refer the same.

Between 500..600 units a month on average is what you can expect, depends on the location, obstructions on E, S, W sides, dust in the area etc. 2.5L is a fair budget.

There is a big thread on TBHP, you can refer the same.
Awesome.. can you share the link to that thread, if you can..?!.

This is my current experience so far. installation should happen this weekend..will share my experiences post a month of generating power

I have currently installed a 5kw Solar on my roof top. I am getting approx 20 units on a good sunny day.
Components used
1. 5 kva MPPT based Livguard solar pcu.
Which can support 5000watt solar panel. ( Always consider MPPT baded solar pcu)
Because it can utilize solar energy better than PWM based solar pcu.
2. 4 nos 200AH livguard C10 rated solar battery. ( C10 battery best suited for solar applications due to its high no of charging-discharing cycles compare to regular C10 batteries)

3. 16 nos 330w MICROTEK polycrystalline solar panel.
U can go for 400w/450w mono perc based solar panel which is better in terms of solar ampere generation than poly panels.
4. 4in 1 out solar ajb box
5. 6mm and 10mm solar DC cable.

Always look the specifications of solar pcu and solar panels then go for appropriate no of solar panels in a string and require no of string in parallel
For example

Attachments

• IMG-20221031-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221031-WA0000.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 11
Look at back of solar pcu for voc it can support maximum .
Then look for voc of ur solar panel.
Then do accordingly 3 or 4 nos of panels in series in a string and then join 3 to 4 strings in parallel using solar ajb box for a 5kw installation according to ur budget and requirement.

Hello. I'm looking through all the threads in this section but cannot find a thread that has installers and suppliers for Solar kits. After a long long weekend of no power, I am convinced to go off-grid. Kindly share the installers and solar suppliers you have used for your solar installation.
Your profile says USA. But a hunch says you are right now in India due to power cuts. Where are u from. My vendor/supplier is Anbukumar, Jothi traders, Chennai, and his number is 9094763120

Hello. I'm looking through all the threads in this section but cannot find a thread that has installers and suppliers for Solar kits. After a long long weekend of no power, I am convinced to go off-grid. Kindly share the installers and solar suppliers you have used for your solar installation.
I've gotten mine directly from UTL solar's direct distributors of central TN in Trichy, Tamilnadu.

Where are you from?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back