Solution for Wi-fi -saved but not connected issues

arnprasad

I do realize that most of you are experts in this field - but when I googled for this particular issue of mine - I did see thousands of queries and none seemed to help. So I did bit of troubleshooting myself and got lucky and thought this post may help a soul or two on this forum as well.

I have this weird habit of changing service providers (between BSNL, ACT and Hathway) if I am not satisfied with the customer service during the renewal process (usually the issue is with me wanting to upgrade and getting weird responses). Given new connections are up and running in a day or two - not that much of an issue with switching providers.

In normal households where wifi is shared by few mobiles and laptops and may be a fire stick or two - should not be a problem - however in my house its a bit different.

I have five Echo dots and Google minis plus two laptops, three phones, two tablets, and 4 Sonoff 4 channel relays ...maybe some more I dont recall...all connected to wifi.

So two days back I switched to Hathway 849 plan with dual band router from Hathway 749 plan with single band router (yes - they refused to upgrade me since the 849 plan is only for new comers apparently..didnt make any sense - so thought it was easier to take a new connection in a different name plus I got to keep the single band router)

They activated the connection yesterday and I logged on the router home page and renamed SSID with new password. That is when my problems started. Every time the change happens - it is a very painful process to reset all my smart speakers, and the sonoffs are even worse since they are inside my wall - so I have to take unscrew switchboard and physically push buttons to reset

Experience #1

1) So I connected my phones, laptops and tablets and it worked well. Then I went about resetting my smart speakers and then sonoffs. Now when setting up a smart speaker or sonoff - I need my phone to be on the 2.4 Ghz SSID and I noticed that my phone wifi was defaulting to the 5 Ghz SSID and the when I forced it to connect it to the 2.4 Ghz SSID - it would say Saved, trying to connect but could not connect.

Post googling, went to multiple sites for answers - but could not find one. So I went to the router home page and changed the SSID name. What happened was my new SSID name was same as the old SSID name and I guess my phone was getting confused between the two and hence initially it connected and then started struggling.

This change helped as my phone was now connecting to the 2.4Ghz SSID

Experience #2 -
Since SSID changed and most of my smart devices work only on 2.4Ghz - I went about resetting the second time around - same story. After few devices got reset correctly - my phone started exhibiting the same issue of saving but not connecting.

I again went to the routers page to see if there is anything else I need to change and I noticed that by default the number of concurrent connections was set to 8. clearly in my case it exceeded it. So I changed it to 20 and again my phone is able to connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID.

So now I have to go back and reset some of the devices again which would not connect after my Experience #1 reset.

Not sure if any of you experienced this and happy to hear how you did your troubleshooting. Any tips or advice will be appreciated for future problems!!

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back