Some general questions

sakitram

Hi,

I have some general questions to choose speakers for my 5.1 setup for 60% music and 40% movies.

I have shortlisted and auditioned Wharfedale 9.2, 9.5, 9.6 and Obsidian. But auditioned them only as front speakers not as a complete set as 5.1 setup. Among them I liked 9.5 and 9.6 while I was listening. I intend to use my existing Q Acoustics 2020 speaker as rear in 5.1 setup hope it will be fine.

Here is some technical details of these speakers for quick reference
attachment.php

Here are my general questions.
1. What can be the technical reason for liking 9.5/6 among them? Is it just due to the in-built bass or mid range driver with it as it is a FS? Could it be possible to have the same experience if I suppose auditioned 9.2 with SW150 sub and 9.CS center speaker?

2. In speaker specification I see Crossover frequency. Does it mean if I choose particular frequency in that range, the speaker will sound within that frequency signal?

3. Does all the speakers have crossover or only sub and FS?

4. As my primary purpose of the AV system is for music, I think the Obsidian set seems to be not suitable as, just technically thinking that none of the speaker in this package does not sound frequencies beyond 20kHz while human can hear up to 22kHz. Even while I was auditioning I feel the other set sounds better than this Obsidian. Does my analysis and perception are reasonable?

5. What is the size of the SW-150 sub? Is it 8" or 10" driver? I see in the spec. "Driver 10" 205mm", but 205mm is just only 8". Then how it is said 10" driver in spec.

6. In BS, it is common that there are two drivers. one is tweeter and what is the another one? Is it pure bass or mid or mixed?

Thanks,
Sakitram

1. What can be the technical reason for liking 9.5/6 among them? Is it just due to the in-built bass or mid range driver with it as it is a FS? Could it be possible to have the same experience if I suppose auditioned 9.2 with SW150 sub and 9.CS center speaker?

It is believed FSs give a fuller sound as they have a larger air column and can push larger amounts of air. In addition, some FS have larger woofer drivers as compared to BS and play low frequencies better.

2. In speaker specification I see Crossover frequency. Does it mean if I choose particular frequency in that range, the speaker will sound within that frequency signal?

Crossover is a term used in a 5.1 set up where the low frequencies come as a separate channel (the point 1). An AVR can decide which frequencies goes to the front speakers, and which frequencies are reserved for the sub. Generally, when you set a crossover (at say 80Hz), you are telling the sub to take over for ALL frequencies below 80Hz. All the other speakers will NOT play these frequencies.

Within a speaker, crossover is used to separate the frequencies and send a range to a particular driver. This is done by electronics inside each speaker.

3. Does all the speakers have crossover or only sub and FS?

The crossover you are referring to is a setting in AVRs. In a 5.1 set up, the crossover refers to the sub, and front L&R, irrespective of their being a BS or a FS.

Speakers by themselves have a frequency range they can deliver. All frequencies above and below this range are ignored by the speakers. Within the range, a narrower range of frequencies is sent to a particular driver inside the speaker.

4. As my primary purpose of the AV system is for music, I think the Obsidian set seems to be not suitable as, just technically thinking that none of the speaker in this package does not sound frequencies beyond 20kHz while human can hear up to 22kHz. Even while I was auditioning I feel the other set sounds better than this Obsidian. Does my analysis and perception are reasonable?

The general rule of thumb is 20-20K Hz. Very few speakers will deliver beyond 20K. You need special tweeters for higher frequencies. When you say a set sounds better, it need not be only in the higher frequencies, and not just frequencies. It could be clarity, internal crossover distribution, quality of drivers, internal bracing, and a host of other reasons.

5. What is the size of the SW-150 sub? Is it 8" or 10" driver? I see in the spec. "Driver 10" 205mm", but 205mm is just only 8". Then how it is said 10" driver in spec.

I think this is to follow some rules of particular countries. Some countries allow the measurement from edge to edge. Some countries may insist on mentioning the diaphragm size. I am not too sure.

6. In BS, it is common that there are two drivers. one is tweeter and what is the another one? Is it pure bass or mid or mixed?

It is a driver that plays both mid and low frequencies. This will generally be 5 to 6 inches in size.

Cheers

Last edited:
It is believed FSs give a fuller sound as they have a larger air column and can push larger amounts of air. In addition, some FS have larger woofer drivers as compared to BS and play low frequencies better.

Can you please tell whether it can be possible to have the same experience if I suppose auditioned 9.2 with SW150 sub and 9.CS center speaker?

Thanks

I just now tested my ears with some frequency audios.
It seems I can able to hear only up to 17kHz sound at my 31 age, :(

Well, please suggest one of the best choice from the below list
- Obsidian
- AAD M (not possible to audition)
- Wharfedale 9.2 + 9.CS + SW150

Thanks

...there is lot more to this than meets the eye.

While it is true that a FS gives a much fuller sound, this changes drastically when compared at a certain price point, especially in the lower bracket like the cheaper FS. I would highly recommend bookshelves for the budget minded, for less than around 40K. Here's why.

Eventually everything costs money. So obviously to build a FS you need more wood, and more number speakers, while a bookshelf requires much lesser wood & just a couple of speakers. The manufacturer now has to compromise (multiple not single compromises!! Lower the budget the higher the compromises in a FS), since he has to give a whole big speaker with many drivers. So he will most likely compromise on build quality & the drivers (use cheaper drivers). He just cant give you good quality drivers & build...while still making a good profit! ...and obviously he will not be a good citizen and make less profit for you to have a good speaker. :)

Now, at the same price point, the manufacturer tends to give a bookshelf with a better build and much better drivers (Not guaranteed...though). But certainly at this same low budget, you will most definitely get a really really good bookshelf from a different manufacturer!! So good luck to you finding a FS at these low budgets which can better a bookshelf.

But something has to give, and that is usually bass. Bookshelves will lack in bass that FS are known for (not necessarily good bass with every FS). But a good subwoofer from SVS/HSU/Rythmik/Outlaw and likes of the same will really make up for bass (Not Jamo/Polk or so). So since you are on budget, and since you will need a subwoofer, get bookshelves and use the remaining money for a good subwoofer! You will be a lot more happy rather than going the FS way, with which you will most certainly be back for an upgrade sooner than you think ;). Bookshelves will require a pair of stands. IMHO, this still is not reason enough to get a FS at these budgets.

So do proceed cautiously with low budget FS!!

Last edited:
To throw in another option, also consider stand mounted monitors which are bigger than bookshelves( but smaller that towers). In most smallish rooms you have to compromise a bit on size of speakers.

At the end of the day, audition the speakers that you have shortlisted and go for whatever you prefer best.

IHMO, bass from the FS and a separate sub do have a tinge of a difference in terms of listening pleasure; for music I would like the FS to deliver it rather than an external sub. Its more enjoyable, more engaging, atleast for me. While I was auditioning the Polk RTiA5, which has got enough bass, the Polk SW110 was switched on. Honestly I did not like the blend. To support my opinion, there are more stereophiles living only with a pair of FS than those with BS+sub.

(Running away from the pack who think otherwise)

IHMO, bass from the FS and a separate sub do have a tinge of a difference in terms of listening pleasure; for music I would like the FS to deliver it rather than an external sub. Its more enjoyable, more engaging, atleast for me. While I was auditioning the Polk RTiA5, which has got enough bass, the Polk SW110 was switched on. Honestly I did not like the blend. To support my opinion, there are more stereophiles living only with a pair of FS than those with BS+sub.

(Running away from the pack who think otherwise)

...maybe you ought to listen to a real sub for a change :)

And may be there are few (like me) who are happy with bookshelves without a sub even for movies.

I for one dont like the rumbling which is there in background for prolonged times in action movies. Thuds and thumps is a different matter.
However my bookshelves are quite big with twin 8" mid woofers. So they are like mini towers. Even some towers dont have such large drivers.

If larger air column is the reason to shine for FS, can the Sound bar also be effective that much. Or there can be some internal division among LCR.

Thanks

Sound bars work in slightly different way. They use the side walls for reflection to give you the illusion that you are hearing a 5.1. Internally, they have five or more drivers that are fired by six different channels of the amplifier. These drives are angled in such a way that the sound reaches you only after hitting a wall.

In terms of air block, they are like a BS only.

Cheers

Thanks venkat. Now i know the reason why my JVC sound bar is giving strange reflections of sound when i put in surround mode. My room is fully open with a courtyard on one side. So it may be becuase of random reflections which are coming across the hall and courtyard :)

Back