Some questions about Marantz PM5004

humblebee

So , was thinking of buying this from hifimart; had some final questions before i finalize:
- is this a class ab amp?
- i might add a passive sub later if i feel the need. So can the second speaker output be used for connecting the sub?
- what is the sound signature? Neutral will be preferable, high treble not ok.
- my speakers are q acoustics 2020i. What will be the final sound sig? Sorry but i cant demo. I have to buy blind so help here will be very useful.

Thanks
Sorry for the punctuations, mobile typing is difficult.

Edit: the CA topaz am10 is also similarly prized. Is that class ab too? How about the sound sig if i match speakers with that?

Last edited:
Does not look like it has Pre-Out for a sub, you can probably connect the sub to 'B' terminal but in that case you will have to run A+B simultaneously. I am not sure about this, others will be at a better position to suggest on this.

I however have heard the Marantz and Q Acoustics 2020i and the Concept 20 as well. With both there was very fluid mid-range, particularly clear vocals, better with the Concept 20s of course but they are quite superior to the 2020i. Sound signature I would say mostly neutral, will match well with the 2020i. Had enough dynamism for Rock / Blues to be very nicely enjoyable.

In my opinion Marantz would most certainly be a better bet than Cambridge Audio, Marantz is definitely a more balanced amplifier without any proper bias to one end of the spectrum.

Well, have placed an order for Marantz 5004.
Some complications for UP delivery as form39 is needed.
Lets see how it sounds. My speakers are sitting from the past 3 months.
Glad that all the waiting and patience has resulted in a true basic hi-fi setup at least.
Now lets hope that all the effort and knowledge gain is worth it and that hi-fi really is something worth having. I will be the first amongst people in my circle to assemble a hi-fi.

PS: This is my first hi-fi. Took me an year to assemble. Had to do it without auditioning but i have managed to get an idea of sound signatures and my preferences by listening on a good basic IEM.

Thanks for all the members who helped me in any way.

Last edited:
Had to do it without auditioning but i have managed to get an idea of sound signatures and my preferences by listening on a good basic IEM.
fET20k

Back