Marantz Model 50 Analogue Integrated Amp or PM8006 with Linton Heritage

rkumarblr

Hi, I am looking for feedback from anyone who has paired the Marantz PM8006 or the newer Model 50 Analog integrated (which is the successor of the PM8006) with Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers. I own the Linton's and thoroughly enjoy the sound. I have paired it with a Class A Valve Amp. The only issue is that it lacks deep bass when paired with my valve amp and a bit lethargic on the dynamics. I like the Marantz sound in general but am unsure of how the pair will sound. Also looking only at the PM8006 or Model 50 as they are class AB and not class D.

Thanks for the suggestion. The valve amp has no such output and from my years of audio gear use, I have come to realize that it’s the pairing of the gear (not just on technical spec) but actual listen in that make the best match. I have infact paired the Linton with a Rega Elex-R and found the sound to be very lean and non appealing and the reason for my question in the first place. With the right amp the Sub will not be required. And finally pairing a sub and getting the phase right is a really complex affair. Someting like a REL which is an expensive Sub may be called for, since it has a wiring sequence and setting to make the pairing. Which will mean buying an amp and sub. Instead of just an amp.

Hi, I am looking for feedback from anyone who has paired the Marantz PM8006 or the newer Model 50 Analog integrated (which is the successor of the PM8006) with Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers. I own the Linton's and thoroughly enjoy the sound. I have paired it with a Class A Valve Amp. The only issue is that it lacks deep bass when paired with my valve amp and a bit lethargic on the dynamics. I like the Marantz sound in general but am unsure of how the pair will sound. Also looking only at the PM8006 or Model 50 as they are class AB and not class D.
My suggestion would be to try Audiolab/Naim/Musical Fidelity.
I've briefly heard 8006+Linton. Bit laid back and sloppy bass. Good for Indian vocals, classical and old bollywood. Not for anything that is more dynamic. But it was natural and pleasant with those genres. Will depend upon your listening choices.

The Lintons need a livelier amp than a Marantz.

I have paired with a Denon Amp and it works really well.

Reviews suggest that Audiolab pairs well too.

I do have Marantz amps and have tried pairing with the Lintons.
Sounds too warm and laid back.

On subwoofer - in my view the Lintons do not need a sub.

My suggestion would be to try Audiolab/Naim/Musical Fidelity.
I've briefly heard 8006+Linton. Bit laid back and sloppy bass. Good for Indian vocals, classical and old bollywood. Not for anything that is more dynamic. But it was natural and pleasant with those genres. Will depend upon your listening choices.
Thank you for the feedback, good to see that you have actually used the 8006. I listen to a wide verity of music genres. I heard the NAIM 5Si recently not with the Lintons but with Focal Spora N1. It did not appeal to me at all, underpowered , no bass etc. The NAIT XS3 is of a different class but could not hear it.

The Lintons need a livelier amp than a Marantz.

I have paired with a Denon Amp and it works really well.

Reviews suggest that Audiolab pairs well too.

I do have Marantz amps and have tried pairing with the Lintons.
Sounds too warm and laid back.

On subwoofer - in my view the Lintons do not need a sub.
Exactly the input I was seeking. Thank you, both the Marantz and the Lintons being on the warmer side was my concern.

Do go for the Lintons. They are superb speakers.

But be careful about the amp pairing.

Which tube amp you are using?
I own Lintons and wouldn’t pair them with Marantz

And as others said, lintons would be fine without a subwoofer.

there might be something else which is not right, what is your source or dac?

Which tube amp you are using?
I own Lintons and wouldn’t pair them with Marantz

And as others said, lintons would be fine without a subwoofer.

there might be something else which is not right, what is your source or dac?
Mine is a Melody Dark 5881 at about 35W at 4 ohms. Sounds amazing but lacks bass depth which is typical of a valve amp unless probably one goes for a much higher power rating and current. I am planning on Audiolabs 9000A or Leak 230, both being class AB with adequate power. Not sure if Leak will sound similar to the valve in terms of bass depth. Also if the 9000A when paired with the Linton is that much better than the 7000A. Looking for an engaged listening not analytical or critical listening. So the warmth with adequate bass depth blended in is what I would prefer.

@rkumarblr Like amrut mentioned the source plays a vital role and so does the dac, just swapping amplifiers will not give the desired results. Sharing the price bracket which fits your bill will make it easier for FM's to suggest.
Since you put up in bangalore first get auditions if possible just blindly going by online reviews often leads to products making it to the classifieds section even before they are run-in. There are many members on the forum from bangalore who will be more than willing to help.

@rkumarblr Like amrut mentioned the source plays a vital role and so does the dac, just swapping amplifiers will not give the desired results. Sharing the price bracket which fits your bill will make it easier for FM's to suggest.
Since you put up in bangalore first get auditions if possible just blindly going by online reviews often leads to products making it to the classifieds section even before they are run-in. There are many members on the forum from bangalore who will be more than willing to help.
My source is a Bluesound node and I have a Metrum DAC which is R2R NOS etc so source is not an issue. And I am very aware that it’s matching that makes all the difference. The best rated amp and speakers and other gear does not make for a good paring.

And I am very aware that it’s matching that makes all the difference. The best rated amp and speakers and other gear does not make for a good paring.
Good to know.
My source is a Bluesound node and I have a Metrum DAC which is R2R NOS etc so source is not an issue.
The node is actually quite lacklustre for a streamer even more so as a dac but thats not case with you since you use a metrum dac R2R NOS etc dac.

Having heard the lintons on the marantz 8006, Rotel A14 mkII, the model 30 with matrix x sabre-pro as dac streamer using roon, the way the lintons come to life on the model 30 is simply unmatched but the other two, the bloat in the bass, mudiness and softness in the lower midbass all is completely gone and the speaker really starts to show its strength, the sound gets effortlessly big, room filling, very easy to listen to for longer hours and much more balanced presentation across the entire frequency band. With the pm8006 and the A14 mkII I also found the tweeter to beam with mids being veiled which clearly presented the the short comings of those two amplifiers.

Good to know.

The node is actually quite lacklustre for a streamer even more so as a dac but thats not case with you since you use a metrum dac R2R NOS etc dac.

Having heard the lintons on the marantz 8006, Rotel A14 mkII, the model 30 with matrix x sabre-pro as dac streamer using roon, the way the lintons come to life on the model 30 is simply unmatched but the other two, the bloat in the bass, mudiness and softness in the lower midbass all is completely gone and the speaker really starts to show its strength, the sound gets effortlessly big, room filling, very easy to listen to for longer hours and much more balanced presentation across the entire frequency band. With the pm8006 and the A14 mkII I also found the tweeter to beam with mids being veiled which clearly presented the the short comings of those two amplifiers.
That could be since the model 30 is class D if I am.not mistaken , more watts and has a different sound signature & differs in tone to Model 40n which is class AB with a warmer tone.

That could be since the model 30 is class D if I am.not mistaken , more watts and has a different sound signature & differs in tone to Model 40n which is class AB with a warmer tone.

Its not always class D vs class AB, Its more to do with the components used inside and how they are put together and implementation, the fair comparison is the model 30 to model 40n but I shared what was on demo.
The difference in presentation will be there due to the different topologies used for eg. one might have more detail and control in the bass region the other might be more detailed and airy in the upper mids and treble but its not like the model 40n will sound like a pm8006 just becasue they are class AB. The issues that were there with the lintons and pm8006 and A14 mkII were almost non existent when paired with the dentons 2way. Thats how I was able to make out the forwardness of the rotel against the warm, rounded more easy going presentation of the pm8006.

I missed a point in the previous post be it the pm8006 or the model 30, I did not find either to be neutral or or the cooler side, both retained the warm, easy going, rounded signature with the model 30 presenting it in a more easy, open and balanced way. The rotel is what was more neutral to cooler and forward sounding with respect to the upper midrange.

Brands aim towards a term 'house sound' and try to keep as close to it with all their models. No brand will want their products to have different sound signatures and tone. Thats just not good business.

With the lintons the better the amplification the better they perform.

Its not always class D vs class AB, Its more to do with the components used inside and how they are put together and implementation, the fair comparison is the model 30 to model 40n but I shared what was on demo.
The difference in presentation will be there due to the different topologies used for eg. one might have more detail and control in the bass region the other might be more detailed and airy in the upper mids and treble but its not like the model 40n will sound like a pm8006 just becasue they are class AB. The issues that were there with the lintons and pm8006 and A14 mkII were almost non existent when paired with the dentons 2way. Thats how I was able to make out the forwardness of the rotel against the warm, rounded more easy going presentation of the pm8006.

I missed a point in the previous post be it the pm8006 or the model 30, I did not find either to be neutral or or the cooler side, both retained the warm, easy going, rounded signature with the model 30 presenting it in a more easy, open and balanced way. The rotel is what was more neutral to cooler and forward sounding with respect to the upper midrange.

Brands aim towards a term 'house sound' and try to keep as close to it with all their models. No brand will want their products to have different sound signatures and tone. Thats just not good business.

With the lintons the better the amplification the better they perform.
The Model 30 is a hybrid with AB for pre and class D for power. The Model 50 is an all analogue class AB and a current flow instead of a voltage flow design and supposedly a different sounding amp to the class D models from Marantz. Have not heard one though. So was not sure if it would pair well with the Lintons. The Model 50 is an analogue only version of the 40n. That is 40n minus all the digital connectivity and features.

The Model 30 is a hybrid with AB for pre and class D for power.
That is not what a hybrid amplifier is.
The Model 50 is an all analogue class AB and a current flow instead of a voltage flow design and supposedly a different sounding amp to the class D models from Marantz. Have not heard one though. So was not sure if it would pair well with the Lintons. The Model 50 is an analogue only version of the 40n. That is 40n minus all the digital connectivity and features.
The model 30 too is an all analogue amplifier with class D topology, modules made by hypex model NC500.
Infact the marantz model 30 is the scaled down version of the marantz PM-10.

Have not heard one though. So was not sure if it would pair well with the Lintons.
The main reason for me mentioning to get demo's was exactly this

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back