Something to compete with the Essence XT

vortex
everyone has a diffierent choice to music what viren likes or anm or me likes may not rock my boat

i think i know a little of your taste the way you describe your likeness fo rthe alphas and the PSB B25s

what setup are you goint to run the dac with

you see if your setup is already detailed ( i.e a marantz amp or BR2 speakers etc you may go in for a dac that soothes your music or adds a little naturality)
case in point a NOS dac which never seem to be analytical in flavour
(now analytical is not a bad thing it ust sounds that way - analytical just means more detail oriented than other qualities) - SC cards tend to be that way

the thing about dacs is that you need to have a good rig to enjoy what they bring in- room treatments etc

my setup is a NAD amp with PSB
this rig provides a smoothness and a kind of flavour to the music.
i would do better getting and analytical ( more detail oriented dac) like an MSB, a PS audio Link 3 , or a parasound or a keces or a soundcard - Juli etc
such source would complement my rig

im not sure what you rig exactly is
i remember the Epos 12 speakers but i forget the amp

now if you find your setup detailed enough and willing to sacrifice a little ( now when i say sacrifice i dont mean that the detail which is currently in your system will fade! i mean that it will probably not match the detail of a very good SC -remember the DAC chips in most cdp's are non oversampling anyway! ), for the smoothness and openess of the music ,get yourself a PD dac or if you would like the option of oversampling i would suggest a MF V-dac - its cheaper and has a huge fan following ( much larger than peters)

you should try to pinpoint what exactly you are missing fromyour current setup and youll have the answer!

if you like to stay with detial there are other OS dacs

the other thing ofcourse is what you consider VFM in terms of cost
As i said the PD dac will turn out to be 400$ almost if you have it shipped to your doorstep
that too, now - you gotta solder it!

the card bought in India would be less than half that cost

the thing is even i cant decide for you because to me you seem like a person who listens to a lot of music and might keep upgrading your setup
if thats true get a good dac ( not some 200$ junk dac)

i listen to music but not that much that i would feel right about spending 400$ :D

currently im waiting
either the Asus Xonar ST to be availble otherwise i dont mind used dacs in which case a lot of options open up
might be 2 months
i dont mind rather than rucshing into something

Last edited:
USB DAC is very helpful if your need is for only music as it can be used with other devices too.

yes
ideal for guys who are looking for laptop HTPC :)
not a bad option i would say
they can sit n the couch and stream musci to a usb wifi reciever i think ( which could connect to a usb dac)
im a duffer in PC's so i dont know whether that possible or not

Magma thanks for the thoughts. It is not that I find something seriously missing from my setup. Not at all.

However like I mentioned earlier, I would like to improve the quality of the setup. A good point to start with is the source rather than the amplification or the speakers - which are for the most part settled as of now.

The Xonar D2X provides a detailed yet fatigue free sound. The NAD smoothens the sound and warms it up a little and the EPOS speakers tend to take me along for a walk gently rather than grab me by the hair and pull me along :).

Ever since I heard the tube setup at Rajiv's place what I felt is that final bit of realism is what is missing here. Imaging - I have no complaints. Soundstage - none. Detail - none. However I do feel the way vocals are delivered can be further improved. Hence my thinking veers towards the PD NOS DACs.

I was not really asking you to recommend a DAC to me - I dont mind though:). I was simply wanting to see which way you lean right now. I understand from your post that you would like to wait a bit right now. Fair enough.

hmm Vocal delivery
well that was most important to me

im surprised you didnt pick a PSB if that was so important!

anyway
if its vocals you want
get a tube dac
MHDT paradesia Havana

the best in the departments you want
but beware they aint cheap!

Hi Vortex
I am no expert but just giving my opinion
You think just having a tube DAC will give you the desired sound?
I mean it would make a difference but dont you think the sound which is in your mind will need a tube amp and maybe a full range speakers?

hmm Vocal delivery
well that was most important to me

im surprised you didnt pick a PSB if that was so important!

anyway
if its vocals you want
get a tube dac
MHDT paradesia Havana

the best in the departments you want
but beware they aint cheap!

Believe me, Magma, for vocals if you listen to the EPOS you will not go past it:). Remember you are talking to a passionate PSB speakers fan. I have the Alpha B1s and have heard the Image B25 a number of times for long durations. I am very familiar with its capabilities across various genres of music.

Lets just say the EPOS M series is at a different level. :)

Hi Vortex
I am no expert but just giving my opinion
You think just having a tube DAC will give you the desired sound?
I mean it would make a difference but dont you think the sound which is in your mind will need a tube amp and maybe a full range speakers?

Rikhav - the tube amp is in the pipeline:)

Believe me, Magma, for vocals if you listen to the EPOS you will not go past it:). Remember you are talking to a passionate PSB speakers fan. I have the Alpha B1s and have heard the Image B25 a number of times for long durations. I am very familiar with its capabilities across various genres of music.

Lets just say the EPOS M series is at a different level. :)

)

and you still want MORE vocal delivery?
dude then youre propbably have to buy new speaker and upgrade your amp too
just a dac wont cut it!

and you still want MORE vocal delivery?
dude then youre propbably have to buy new speaker and upgrade your amp too
just a dac wont cut it!

Not necessarily. Amp and speakers just amplify and deliver. They cannot improve the sound. At best they can avoid adding distortion.

To get the perfect (or let say better) sound, you have to move closer to the source. That is where the player and DAC make a difference.

Cheers

Maybe we can suggest Suhas to chip in something if he is reading. He is one member i know who has a full tube setup ignoring the confusion of Cadence amp being a hybrid or a full tube.
But Suhas does have a tube cdp.
Anyone else having a full tube setup can maybe use a normal cdp if possible and advice

Not necessarily. Amp and speakers just amplify and deliver. They cannot improve the sound. At best they can avoid adding distortion.

To get the perfect (or let say better) sound, you have to move closer to the source. That is where the player and DAC make a difference.

Cheers

+1 to this.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back