Sonodyne Pre-Power Stereo / Mutichannel Amplifier Views

elangoas

Hello Ppl,

Offlate my respect for Sonodyne products have been increasing as this is only Indian company to have produced a range of Audio equipemts for both Home / Studio / Outdoor. I have heard there Souns range Floor Standers, Dipole surrounds & Studio monitor subwoofers and really impressed with it. But i haven't had a chance to hear there pre / power amplifier for both Stereo and Muitichannel.

I belive pre / power mutichannel amplifer delivers more power than the A/V receiver's. Have any of you come across Sonodyne Pre / Power combos.. How good are they against the MNC receiver's. I am a regular reader of AV Max Magazine and this mutichannel combo has been listed @ 45K. When i checked their website, looks like the power amplifier delivers 110 W/Channel in to 6 channels, now that is tearing power!!!!. When comparing this to the MNC A/V Receivers which sell more than this price for this power ratings, how does Sonodyne stand up against them ?

I intend to build a complete HT package inluding there pre / power mutichannel amplifier in the near future... Would like to know your views / experience....

Preamp is Joke ( I am seeing same for last 3-5 years ..experts please confirm)
NO HDMI
NO Video Upscaling
NO Component switching too!
NOOOO -Hi Def Codecs ..DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD

Only 1 Optical and 2 co ax out

HAVE THEY COME OUT OF DVD AGE?

Power amp seems ok --but proceed with caution ..AVR manufactures lie about their power..You need some benchmarks
Very good power amps tell X watts at decent THD all channel drivev ,fron 20 Hz to 20 KHZ

also power consumption is 1900 VA --what are equivalant watts? Why given in VA..

MY VERDICT
Buy Onkyo,Denon,Yamaha,HK or slightly expensive maranz ..for 45 k you will get
HDMI upscaling and upconversion
Hi Def audio Codecs
Some has network and wi finsupport too.

and these amps are certainly selling MORE than Sonodyne ,will be serviced better too!

The pre-power when they were introduced in india around 2005/6 were one of the most well built components that I have seen compared against yam/onk/dennon . Sadly they have not kept up with the times. Nowadays as connectivity options are galore as also HD Audio not to mention Video upscaling/3D ready these sonodyne amps are pretty much outdated. Well if you only plan on using only DVD input (no HD Audio) and have no other needs than sound from these amps these are quite good for the money (wait for Durga Puja to get a good deal).

Otherwise it is the newer generation onkyos/dennon/yam which are in my opinion value for money. Go for the latest model you can afford as these tend to become outdated pretty fast.

So it means, it is only the Pre - Amp that needs to be updated. Power amplifier is still good. Hopefully they introduce a new preamp for the new audio codecs.

BTW any feedback on stereo pre - power amp?. How good are they ? I searched the forum for Sonodyne Pre - Power stereo Amp, but couldn't find that must results.

The stereo pre power is pretty good for the money it commands as per my initital impressions. I think somebody has sold a sonodyne stereo power amp on the forum. You can ask them for feedback. Regarding the multichannel pre-power they dont sell it individually you got to buy both the pre and power together.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back