Sony 40W400 for 65000/-

sameersingh

Hello Friends,

I am getting 40 inch Sony W400 series for 65000/- with one year warranty.
Is it worth goin for 40W400...or should i look for some other options like, Samsung B650 , Sony V550...

Please reply ...i need to confirm the booking today to avail this deal...

Thanks,

Sameer

the W400A has a WC-CCFL backlight so colors will look a bit different,it do won't be as good as the V550A or the B650A in SD videos,but it does have a high slightly better blacks and shadow details then the V550A.

This model is quite an old one. Though it was one of the best non 100hz LCD TVs ever released it may struggle in terms of motion when compared to the B650. Also the b650 is the best amongst the 3 in terms of blacks. It is also excellent in terms of connectivity (DLNA and media playback) if it does matter to you.

The b650 however suffers from high input lag(important only if you are a gamer) and poor off angle viewing. The V550 is better in both regards.

Looking at VFM the B650 may be a better option and it is available in many places for 70k

If money wasn't an important factor for you the ideal comparion would be
B650 vs W550
B550 vs V550

This model is quite an old one. Though it was one of the best non 100hz LCD TVs ever released it may struggle in terms of motion when compared to the B650. Also the b650 is the best amongst the 3 in terms of blacks. It is also excellent in terms of connectivity (DLNA and media playback) if it does matter to you.

The b650 however suffers from high input lag(important only if you are a gamer) and poor off angle viewing. The V550 is better in both regards.

Looking at VFM the B650 may be a better option and it is available in many places for 70k

B650 vs W550
B550 vs V550

The SONY 40S550 with BE3 is also very good in term of features and is identical as compared to the SONY 40V550 but about 7K lesser in price. This is what the SONY Center sales guy told me today.

Where in Bangalore is B650 avbl? I have been asking many shops (Croma, Ezone etc) and no one seems to have it in stock. Especially for 70k, it is a great deal. Thanks.

B650 vs W550
B550 vs V550

the B550,B650 black levels,viewing angle ,colors varry with the panel depending on whether u get a CMO(SMVA),AU panel(AMVA),samsung panel(SPVA).the cmo being the worst.

Thanks Gfreeman, Adder and GeoTracks for the replies...

Just an Update....
I went to the shop today....
The guy is offering me 40W450A and not the W400 series....

I just chekd the sony website its MRP is 113000/- ...

I surfed the net for the difference between two sets....

Pros
- 100Hz motionflow...
- and reduced input lag...is the main feature of W450A...

Cons...
- Clouding issues( can someone elaborate it for me??)

now..is this improved offered ..worth the money...
i.e. 65000/- for 40W450A....

or i am better off with SammyB650A...

btw...how is the SD performance..i.e. local cable...
does 100Hz makes any diff to the SD picture quality......or only its concernced with reduce judder incase of fast moving objects...

Thanks Gfreeman, Adder and GeoTracks for the replies...

Just an Update....
I went to the shop today....
The guy is offering me 40W450A and not the W400 series....

I just chekd the sony website its MRP is 113000/- ...

I surfed the net for the difference between two sets....

Pros
- 100Hz motionflow...
- and reduced input lag...is the main feature of W450A...

Cons...
- Clouding issues( can someone elaborate it for me??)

now..is this improved offered ..worth the money...
i.e. 65000/- for 40W450A....

or i am better off with SammyB650A...

btw...how is the SD performance..i.e. local cable...
does 100Hz makes any diff to the SD picture quality......or only its concernced with reduce judder incase of fast moving objects...

Clouding aka backlight bleed is the bleeding of backlight non uniformly throughout the screen (through the LCD pixels) causing 'clouds' which are especially noticed in dark rooms You will not experience this in showrooms or even at homes with bright lighting But for a clear understanding please the link below to see for your self

Sony Bravia W4500 backlight bleed/screen clouding measured - post your pictures here - AVForums.com

This has always been a major problem with LCD TVs whether sony or samsung or lg. This is however not an issue with plasma TVs and plasma TVs look brilliant in a dark room.

Last edited:
the B550,B650 black levels,viewing angle ,colors varry with the panel depending on whether u get a CMO(SMVA),AU panel(AMVA),samsung panel(SPVA).the cmo being the worst.

Yes that is a gamble when u think about samsung models with CMO definitely being the worst. I guess if you happen to get a CMO you can notice the bad points of the TV easily and convince Samsung for a return.:eek:hyeah:
Certain sizes are made by Che Mei and certain by Samsung. If you go for a 40 incher you increase the probability of getting an SPVA.

Last edited:
Thanks Gfreeman for the info!!!

btw...wht you think of this deal....i am geting for 40W450A...
is 65000/- worth...???
or should i buy something else like...Sammy B650....

or for that matter...G10...which whould be for the same price....

How you guys will rate 40W450A overall ...wrt to price i am paying....

Yes that is a gamble when u think about samsung models with CMO definitely being the worst. I guess if you happen to get a CMO you can notice the bad points of the TV easily and convince Samsung for a return.:eek:hyeah:
Certain sizes are made by Che Mei and certain by Samsung. If you go for a 40 incher you increase the probability of getting an SPVA.

actualy samsung do place orders for 40inch panels from CMO,its just that cmo doesn't sell 40inch panels to other oems or openly for other customers.

Thanks Gfreeman for the info!!!

btw...wht you think of this deal....i am geting for 40W450A...
is 65000/- worth...???
or should i buy something else like...Sammy B650....

or for that matter...G10...which whould be for the same price....

How you guys will rate 40W450A overall ...wrt to price i am paying....

well if u are a gamer get the W450A,its older BE2 has quite a lot less input lag.
otherwise get the B650A,if u like the way plasma show the image u can't go wrong with the G10,but the samsung has better SD performance,lcds usualy look more crisp,the 100hz feature in lcds will make animated movies look more real,they also fare better with movies shot in 24p.

For your doubt on whether plasma or LCD i would suggest that you think about your room conditions. Whether the room is well lit or or whether you have dim lighting. I watch movies always in a dark room with the lights switched off. So for me a plasma should be enough (for both gaming and movies which i prefer). Most people will feel that the plasmas are a bit dim compared to the LCD in a well lit room. Though the G10 is a neo pdp with increased luminous efficiency it still looks better in a dark room like all plasmas do(blacks, contrast and a really really uniform screen)

Where in Bangalore is B650 avbl? I have been asking many shops (Croma, Ezone etc) and no one seems to have it in stock. Especially for 70k, it is a great deal. Thanks.

Ezone Kormanagala definitely have it in stock. They were quoting 79990 for the unit. They also have it on display. The price of 70k i mentioned was the lowest price all over india. I got that from the compare india website(currently it says 72K). But if you would really like good deals on the TV i would suggest you have a look at the display at ezone and if interested contact Girias for the lowest possible prices in Bangalore. I infact have the name and contact number of a guy at Girias. I think he really has offered me the lowest price on the b750 after visiting Ezone,Croma,Unilet,APM,Pai,Adishwars,Reliance,etc.

well if u are a gamer get the W450A,its older BE2 has quite a lot less input lag.
otherwise get the B650A,if u like the way plasma show the image u can't go wrong with the G10,but the samsung has better SD performance,lcds usualy look more crisp,the 100hz feature in lcds will make animated movies look more real,they also fare better with movies shot in 24p.

While a lot of folks on this forum are talking good about the Panasonic G10, not able to figure out the 445W power consumption the Panasonic website displays for the G10 Plasma.

We thought that the Panasonic PV8 which was a good plasma in FY08, with its 335W power consumption was high.

What is the actual power consumption for the G10?

While a lot of folks on this forum are talking good about the Panasonic G10, not able to figure out the 445W power consumption the Panasonic website displays for the G10 Plasma.

We thought that the Panasonic PV8 which was a good plasma in FY08, with its 335W power consumption was high.

What is the actual power consumption for the G10?

the G10 neo PDP can show much brighter images then other plasmas,hence at maximum brightness u can expect it to go close to that figure.

the G10 neo PDP can show much brighter images then other plasmas,hence at maximum brightness u can expect it to go close to that figure.

Wow!! In that case any 2009 LCD with sub 200W power consumption seems more like an attractive choice, given the fact that it would be as bright as a neo PDP or maybe even more. In other words, first pay so much for a G10 (almost in the range of a good 2009 Full HD LCD) and then get hit on power bills too! Something to think about.

Wow!! In that case any 2009 LCD with sub 200W power consumption seems more like an attractive choice, given the fact that it would be as bright as a neo PDP or maybe even more. In other words, first pay so much for a G10 (almost in the range of a good 2009 Full HD LCD) and then get hit on power bills too! Something to think about.

again the power consumption of plasmas and lcds put in the specs are the maximum power consumption,for plasma power consumption increases with more whites being displayed,in lcds the power consumption stays mostly constant.but normal ccfl backligh lcds as of today are at the max twice as efficient as plasmas,they can still show much brighter images then plasmas if the need arises.

Talking about brightness one of the most brightest plasmas available today is the V10. The Vivid mode of the V10 can easily output 73FtL(foot lambert). Some have tried it at 92Ftl. In comparison an average LCD's brightness can easily hover between 150Ftl-200Ftl. Some experts have seen LCD TVs way above this mark(an expert quoted an LCD model at 2000FtL) So talking about LCD brightness is absolutely meaningless because they can be insanely high and not an issue.
The brightest of CRTs come at around 55Ftl. Most other plasmas come around the 40ftl-50Ftl)

again the power consumption of plasmas and lcds put in the specs are the maximum power consumption,for plasma power consumption increases with more whites being displayed,in lcds the power consumption stays mostly constant.but normal ccfl backligh lcds as of today are at the max twice as efficient as plasmas,they can still show much brighter images then plasmas if the need arises.

Also Full HD plasmas consume more power than HD ready plasmas because energy is spent in showing higher resolutions.

Back