Sony 40W550A vs Samsung 40B650

anuroop

Help Needed: Sony 40W550A/W450A vs Samsung 40B650

Hi,

I am looking to a buy a 40" and am confused between the above models.
The Sony with Bravia 3 is 36K more expensive(Getting a discount on the samsung) so is it really worth it?

Both are FHD @ 100 HZ. The samsung has DLNA and Context flash library as well. This sony model comes with a USB as well.

There is no store where in I could keep them side by side. I have been comparing other intermittent models to arrive at a conclusion.
I compare the sony W with Samsung LED(edge lit) as well and felt it was better.

However the B650 seemed pretty ok compared to the W450(Bravia 2).

Pls help me decide I need to pick up TV today.

Thank a lot.

Last edited:
well these 2 tvs are pretty even with sonys usualy having the edge in input lag,much better factory colors which again is purely subjective.
the samsung however as more features like in media playback and connectivity.
the sonys motion flow is again slightly better then the samsung auto motion plus.
the samsung is so much cheaper for VFM its wins.but in samsung u can get the same tv with 3 different panels which vary in contrast,input lag and viewing angle.in input lag tvs with AMVA,SMVA have the edge over tvs with SPVA,in viewing angle the AMVA is the best of the three,in last place is SMVA.in contrast the SPVA ,AMVA are very close.

one thing i can say is that even though sony sells its tvs at a loss,atleast in india i bet they are still making profit,since in it is a premium brand.u can however buy them in the grey market they will be cheaper by atleast 10k,u can even get a sony Z450 which is the only few tvs with the capabilty of showing full 1080lines of motion resolution for around 95k in grey market in showroom its priced at about 1.5lakh.
the sound capability of Z series is also top notch better then any samsung and panasonic tv.the Z series is more suited for HD and gaming,with very low input lag despite the 200hz motion flow.

1. Grey Market? I am not aware how does one procure in the grey market. Pls help.

2. Panels: Is there a way to check the panel when procuring the Samung TV. That way I can remove the variable.

1. Grey Market? I am not aware how does one procure in the grey market. Pls help.

2. Panels: Is there a way to check the panel when procuring the Samung TV. That way I can remove the variable.

grey market AKA in bangalore national market,for lcds its sukhsagar mall next to the old national market.

well in showrooms they won't allow u to do that since,unless u buy the tv they won't let u remove the tv from the box.
in order to know which panel the tv uses u will need to check out the shape of the pixel when its emmiting a white color.just search this forum i have posted before about panels.

So when you say Sony sells in Loss do you mean cheaper than other countries or do you mean lower than manufacturing+delivery price.

Adder is the expert, but I would also like opinions from other customers.

hey adder, on the contrary i've read that the Samsung's 100hz is superior, and doesn't result in the "video-like" presentation that you see in the Sony TV...i've also read that clouding is more of an issue with Sony than Samsung. The B650 is reportedly a very capable TV and as good as the Sony, if not better, and Samsung's image processing has vastly improved and is comparable with Sony's BE3 now.

anuroop, the price difference is definitely not worth it and i'd recommend you rely on your own eyes more than anything else.

well these 2 tvs are pretty even with sonys usualy having the edge in input lag,much better factory colors which again is purely subjective.
the samsung however as more features like in media playback and connectivity.
the sonys motion flow is again slightly better then the samsung auto motion plus.
the samsung is so much cheaper for VFM its wins.but in samsung u can get the same tv with 3 different panels which vary in contrast,input lag and viewing angle.in input lag tvs with AMVA,SMVA have the edge over tvs with SPVA,in viewing angle the AMVA is the best of the three,in last place is SMVA.in contrast the SPVA ,AMVA are very close.

one thing i can say is that even though sony sells its tvs at a loss,atleast in india i bet they are still making profit,since in it is a premium brand.u can however buy them in the grey market they will be cheaper by atleast 10k,u can even get a sony Z450 which is the only few tvs with the capabilty of showing full 1080lines of motion resolution for around 95k in grey market in showroom its priced at about 1.5lakh.
the sound capability of Z series is also top notch better then any samsung and panasonic tv.the Z series is more suited for HD and gaming,with very low input lag despite the 200hz motion flow.

I haven't seen the Sony W550 in showrooms in India as yet. I would imagine that it would be clearly superior to the Samsung B650, but as you mentioned, there is a big price difference.

The Sony V5500 is very closely matched with the Samsung B650, with an almost identical price. The V5500 has a more natural picture and a better screen (matt) while the B650 has more vivid colors, a glossy screen, and better connectivity.

I think you need to decide your budget first and then evaluate screens at that price point. If you are considering the W550, then compare it to the Samsung B750, as I imagine those two would be similarly priced. Also consider the Samsung LED tvs (LCDs with edge LED backlighting) around the same price point (although they're more hyped than they should be).

hey adder, on the contrary i've read that the Samsung's 100hz is superior, and doesn't result in the "video-like" presentation that you see in the Sony TV...i've also read that clouding is more of an issue with Sony than Samsung. The B650 is reportedly a very capable TV and as good as the Sony, if not better, and Samsung's image processing has vastly improved and is comparable with Sony's BE3 now.

anuroop, the price difference is definitely not worth it and i'd recommend you rely on your own eyes more than anything else.

well the sony motionflow has reduced effects on input lag,well if read many reviews and forums u will notice that the motion flow in sony is reported to be slightly better overall.the motion flow 200hz is even better despite doubling the frames it has negligeable effects in input lag.
clouding can happen to any lcd,some batches of sonys models have clouding the ones made in mexico and the ones sold in europe,but in asia where it is manufactured in thailand,clouding isn't reported much ,remember there are different venders for the backlight in different manufacturing plant.

yes the samsung engine is comparable overall and is also improved a lot,but the BE engines processing have less impact on input lag.

@anuroop
well sony overall worldwide its lcd business is still making a loss,sony says it will start making profits or get even only in 2010.
but in india i feel they still make profit,considering the huge difference b/w sony and samsung,if u look at the prices in US and other countries the price of sony although stilll more expensive then samsung it is price only slightly above samsung range.but in india the prices are very expensive conisdering the difference of samsung B650 and sony W450AW550A,if u are buying a sony W550A i suggest u buy from the grey market.
but samsung B650A is very capable tv for its price.

+1 to what psycho said.

anuroop boss save your money and get the samsung. LCD might be a technology that will go EOL inn the next 2 years with LED TVs coming in - save your money, put in a fixed deposit in a bank - buy newer technology 2 years down the lane.

BTW since technology acceptance rate is going northward - LEDs replacing LCD or plasma is only a matter of time.

The Samsung is a capable performer and with a little bit of calibration in the colour front will match quite a few good TVs. Go for it - though do test and believe you EYES and WALLET before buying.

well LED tvs is just lcds with LED backlight,only samsung calls it LED tv,sony have been using tri luminous RGB led backlight in their Qualia lcds way back in 2003,before bravia was introduced .

as far as OLED tvs well it won't be even close to affordable even in 2years,they still have to improve the life of OLED tvs which is still quite away from plasma and lcds life.
when sony or samsung eventualy launch their 27inch,30inch OLED tvs sometime in 2010 expect it to cost the same or more then the companies flagship large size LED-lcds.i mean we have seen how high samsung and sony have prices their luxia and ZX1 lcds with just a LED backlight.

@anuroop
like i said before if u are buying in the grey market ,then sony is great choice,but if u are buying in showroom then i would say samsung B650A is the lcd u should look at considering the price difference,alternately if u don't intend on gaming or pc use u can go for G10 plasma.

Last edited:
i am finding Samsung's "LED TV" campaign more and more disgusting....i am seriously wondering how they are getting away with it......it's highly misleading.....someone should take this up legally.....under the MRTP Act or something....it makes my blood boil just to look at it.

well LED tvs is just lcds with LED backlight,only samsung calls it LED tv,sony have been using tri luminous RGB led backlight in their Qualia lcds way back in 2003,before bravia was introduced .

as far as OLED tvs well it won't be even close to affordable even in 2years,they still have to improve the life of OLED tvs which is still quite away from plasma and lcds life.
when sony or samsung eventualy launch their 27inch,30inch OLED tvs sometime in 2010 expect it to cost the same or more then the companies flagship large size LED-lcds.i mean we have seen how high samsung and sony have prices their luxia and ZX1 lcds with just a LED backlight.

@anuroop
like i said before if u are buying in the grey market ,then sony is great choice,but if u are buying in showroom then i would say samsung B650A is the lcd u should look at considering the price difference,alternately if u don't intend on gaming or pc use u can go for G10 plasma.

Just read the budget highlights. The Custom duty on LCDs to be cut to 5% from current 10%.

Good news for future LCD customers.

Just read the budget highlights. The Custom duty on LCDs to be cut to 5% from current 10%.

Good news for future LCD customers.

well i think thats for lcd monitors,since the lcds tvs had a customs duty of around 30%.

Re: Sony 40W550A vs Samsung 40B650 vs samsung 46B650

Hi Everyone...

Thanks a lot for the advise and I decided on Samsung.
I went to shop and gave deposit to get a piece to view and even asked for reduction due to budget.

BUT! :)
I realized that my living room is 16-18 ft so I now I am seriously considering moving up to 46".
So just one thing do the same comments hold for the 46" samsung as well.
If can change my order and based on ur inputs will do so.

Pls pls quickly reply.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Sony 40W550A vs Samsung 40B650 vs samsung 46B650

Hi Everyone...

Thanks a lot for the advise and I decided on Samsung.
I went to shop and gave deposit to get a piece to view and even asked for reduction due to budget.

BUT! :)
I realized that my living room is 16-18 ft so I now I am seriously considering moving up to 46".
So just one thing do the same comments hold for the 46" samsung as well.
If can change my order and based on ur inputs will do so.

Pls pls quickly reply.

Thanks a lot.

well i assume ur viewing distance is about 12 to 13 feet ,yes a 46inch would be great,and yes the same comments go for the 46inch too.

Saw the SAMSUNG 40B530 and the SONY 40V550 recently. The SAMSUNG PQ appeared to be almost on power with the SONY. Infact at times thought the SAMSUNG actually had better PQ. I would still be inclined to the SONY with the BE3, but with a price difference of almost 22K for a 40", thought that was a bit too much to pay for SONY brand especially given that all inputs etc. were almost the same between the 2 LCDs. Somehow 22K price difference is getting very hard to justify, no matter how hard I am trying.

Also, SAMSUNG is running an offer of free Airtel subscription for 3 months with every purchase of SAMSUNG LCD.

I have read in this forum that many prefer the BIG TV DTH, b'cos of good signal quality. Most of the time when visiting showrooms, they have TATA SKY to view and test LCD.

Has anyone compared TATA SKY, DISH TV, AIRTEL & BIG TV on the SAME LCDs? Any thoughts which DTH is better amongst these? Or really it does not matter much? i.e. Any Full HD SAMSUNG, SONY, LG etc. will have about the same PQ with any of these DTH services?

Saw the SAMSUNG 40B530 and the SONY 40V550 recently. The SAMSUNG PQ appeared to be almost on power with the SONY. Infact at times thought the SAMSUNG actually had better PQ. I would still be inclined to the SONY with the BE3, but with a price difference of almost 22K for a 40", thought that was a bit too much to pay for SONY brand especially given that all inputs etc. were almost the same between the 2 LCDs. Somehow 22K price difference is getting very hard to justify, no matter how hard I am trying.

Also, SAMSUNG is running an offer of free Airtel subscription for 3 months with every purchase of SAMSUNG LCD.

I have read in this forum that many prefer the BIG TV DTH, b'cos of good signal quality. Most of the time when visiting showrooms, they have TATA SKY to view and test LCD.

Has anyone compared TATA SKY, DISH TV, AIRTEL & BIG TV on the SAME LCDs? Any thoughts which DTH is better amongst these? Or really it does not matter much? i.e. Any Full HD SAMSUNG, SONY, LG etc. will have about the same PQ with any of these DTH services?

well the main reason why sony is expensive is due to the high customs duty since its a direct import ,unlike samsung models where the tax on panel is just 10% and now reduced to 5% in this years budget. i.e the samsung 40inch panel costs around Rs30k after 10% tax and the rest of the lcd is assembled in india,probablly with local electronic components.so the end price is very cheap.
where as the sony V550A costs about 55k street price in thailand ,its taxed to around 30% ,so the price of sony is higher,part of that is also due to the brand.

the v550A can upscale slighty better then the samsung model,if u are going to go for the sony why not buy it in the grey market,its should be priced around 65k, since its costs around 53k to 55k in thailand,china,hk.

well i have compared airtel and big tv ,big tv does have the edge in picture quality.

Last edited:
Sammy B530 seems to b much cheaper compared to B550. Any thoughts on what the main differnces are and given the price differential, it makes sense to go for 530 rather than 550....
thx

Guys - All are speaking on higher cost rates on W550A and inputs rates are only comparsion stating its higher by 22K & etc . Can some one please advise what's the actual cost of W550A / 40" in india..??

Has any one purchased it ? How is it performing on SD ??

the v550A can upscale slighty better then the samsung model,if u are going to go for the sony why not buy it in the grey market,its should be priced around 65k, since its costs around 53k to 55k in thailand,china,hk.

Have no experience purchasing anything from 'grey market'. To start with do not even know where to find one since currently new to the city. Moreover even if grey market is identified, with no prior experience or word of mouth recommendation, it would be hard to pay that kind of amount to a store that is totally 'new' with no guarantee. Just do not get that comfort level.

Not to mention the anxiety factor associated with investing such a high amount and what if it give problems? At least when purchase is made from stores like Reliance Digital, Ezone, Croma etc. one can have the option of 'exchange' if the piece really is faulty. Agree? So the difference in amount between grey market and a official retailer is the 'insurance' amount that one pays. This is just my thought of course, considering many on this forum have successfully purchased LCDs in grey market at lower prices.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back