Sony A95K vs LG G2

I seen both side by side. I see that A95k blacks and contrast are not as good as G2. But color composition and brightness are good on sony. Also android OS is better on A95K complare to webos on G2
I'm trying not to be biased since I have purchased the A95K recently. The black level and less contrast that you are talking about is only in the showroom environment where ambient light is the one that may cause purple(?) tint while showing black levels, at the same ambient lights, G2 shows better black levels - no purple tint at all. However, in the absence of this ambient light, the black levels are exactly same, both of them are OLEDs. So, if you find yourself in similar conditions, G2 makes more sense.
I've set it up in the relatively dark room. My movie watching time is mostly in the evening hours. I was used to watch 55C8 in the past (mostly isf Darkroom settings+ some tunning). With this A95K when the it switches to DV Dark mode when I watch the DV movies, the sudden brighter scenes actually hurt my eyes in a few instances, its that bright. In the last couple days again I found it to be way too bright, went back to check if its switched to DV dark/light mode, and it was not, the brightness level on my custom mode was still set around 40-45.
I guess I'm liking the color volume, accuracy and color brightness here. Had it been G2, I'd have adjusted to it and enjoyed it as well, its just that one notices the difference when compared side by side, especially in the dark room.

I'm trying not to be biased since I have purchased the A95K recently. The black level and less contrast that you are talking about is only in the showroom environment where ambient light is the one that may cause purple(?) tint while showing black levels, at the same ambient lights, G2 shows better black levels - no purple tint at all. However, in the absence of this ambient light, the black levels are exactly same, both of them are OLEDs. So, if you find yourself in similar conditions, G2 makes more sense.
I've set it up in the relatively dark room. My movie watching time is mostly in the evening hours. I was used to watch 55C8 in the past (mostly isf Darkroom settings+ some tunning). With this A95K when the it switches to DV Dark mode when I watch the DV movies, the sudden brighter scenes actually hurt my eyes in a few instances, its that bright. In the last couple days again I found it to be way too bright, went back to check if its switched to DV dark/light mode, and it was not, the brightness level on my custom mode was still set around 40-45.
I guess I'm liking the color volume, accuracy and color brightness here. Had it been G2, I'd have adjusted to it and enjoyed it as well, its just that one notices the difference when compared side by side, especially in the dark room.
I've also noticed that sometimes the brightness in a dark room hurts my eyes. The key setting in this case is the Peak Luminance setting. This has much more of an effect on screen brightness than The Actual brightness setting itself. I am now trying to use the Auto Brightness setting while watching content, I find that this tones down the brightness quite a bit.

I've also noticed that sometimes the brightness in a dark room hurts my eyes. The key setting in this case is the Peak Luminance setting. This has much more of an effect on screen brightness than The Actual brightness setting itself. I am now trying to use the Auto Brightness setting while watching content, I find that this tones down the brightness quite a bit.
Thanks.
What is the peak luminance setting that you are using? Are you following any specific config/settings/modes?
I have my auto brightness turned off, not sure if turning that back ON would make very big difference to the overall pq but I can surely give it a try for few days to see how it works.

Thanks.
What is the peak luminance setting that you are using? Are you following any specific config/settings/modes?
I have my auto brightness turned off, not sure if turning that back ON would make very big difference to the overall pq but I can surely give it a try for few days to see how it works.
I keep shuffling between Medium and Low sometimes even completely off for SDR viewing. I was using settings from different websites but then I found their recommendations to be too bright for me. Usually all of them have Peak Luminance on high or medium . For Dolby vision dark also the Peak Luminance is set to High.
So currently I just reset the settings to default and reduce the brightness to a tolerable level.

I also adjust the Color space setting to DCI sometimes , I find that this is more vibrant than just leaving it on Auto. This is in the Video Signal Tab. But to be honest, the TV looks great no matter what I do , so eventually I think I'm gonna just reset the settings and adjust brightness and leave everything else as is. Otherwise you end up spending more time playing with the settings than actually watching TV.

I keep shuffling between Medium and Low sometimes even completely off for SDR viewing. I was using settings from different websites but then I found their recommendations to be too bright for me. Usually all of them have Peak Luminance on high or medium . For Dolby vision dark also the Peak Luminance is set to High.
So currently I just reset the settings to default and reduce the brightness to a tolerable level.

I also adjust the Color space setting to DCI sometimes , I find that this is more vibrant than just leaving it on Auto. This is in the Video Signal Tab. But to be honest, the TV looks great no matter what I do , so eventually I think I'm gonna just reset the settings and adjust brightness and leave everything else as is. Otherwise you end up spending more time playing with the settings than actually watching TV.
I agree, just using the custom mode (said to be most accurate) with brightness levels as per the need, I'd change the luminance settings as well to see if it improves the experience. I'm planning to make finer changes to the white balance as provided by rtings to see if it makes any difference.

For everyone using LG C2/G2 isn't the highly reflective screen a problem for you? I have to place the TV next to a window.

I purchased lg g2 and it’s brightness is good and don’t hurt to eyes at all. Also when blue light filter on gives more good image for eyes. Only I hate for this tv os web os. Android os is more better in Sony.

For everyone using LG C2/G2 isn't the highly reflective screen a problem for you? I have to place the TV next to a window.
LG OLEDs have one of the best semi gloss screens I guess that can help with the reflections. These ones can be enjoyed in the dark environment. However, if you have to keep it next to window and want to use during day hours, using a darker curtain (which you may have done already), combined with the additional brightness would help with the situation, you'd use a specific mode during day hours or setup a custom for your day hours watching and switch to isf dark etc during your night hours/movie watching.
I purchased lg g2 and it’s brightness is good and don’t hurt to eyes at all. Also when blue light filter on gives more good image for eyes. Only I hate for this tv os web os. Android os is more better in Sony.
I dropped the luminance to medium and with that it doesn't really a problem. It wasn't actually a problem, but more or less something everyone may have felt in the cinemas where a sudden bright scene would give you a mild nudge. With this luminance set to medium (even can be set to low during night hours which is when I primarily watch this TV), those scenes are not that harsh or may be I got slightly used to it. The PQ is one of the best ones that you can get with consumer TVs atm (I read that at more than a couple professional blogs/reviews). I'm missing the DV/HDR flashes that LG used to give on this one, I have to press a remote button to find out if its DV and if TVs switched to DV-Dark mode and picture brightness have been adjusted etc. Also missing the option to assign the audio out exclusively to the optical out on the TV that I used with LG OLED in the past.

LG OLEDs have one of the best semi gloss screens I guess that can help with the reflections. These ones can be enjoyed in the dark environment. However, if you have to keep it next to window and want to use during day hours, using a darker curtain (which you may have done already), combined with the additional brightness would help with the situation, you'd use a specific mode during day hours or setup a custom for your day hours watching and switch to isf dark etc during your night hours/movie watching.

I dropped the luminance to medium and with that it doesn't really a problem. It wasn't actually a problem, but more or less something everyone may have felt in the cinemas where a sudden bright scene would give you a mild nudge. With this luminance set to medium (even can be set to low during night hours which is when I primarily watch this TV), those scenes are not that harsh or may be I got slightly used to it. The PQ is one of the best ones that you can get with consumer TVs atm (I read that at more than a couple professional blogs/reviews). I'm missing the DV/HDR flashes that LG used to give on this one, I have to press a remote button to find out if its DV and if TVs switched to DV-Dark mode and picture brightness have been adjusted etc. Also missing the option to assign the audio out exclusively to the optical out on the TV that I used with LG OLED in the past.
With so many measures done by LG to have panel managed is disturbing your experience, Please check HTDVTest youtube channel, he has suggested some basic settings to tame the bloomingness

With so many measures done by LG to have panel managed is disturbing your experience, Please check HTDVTest youtube channel, he has suggested some basic settings to tame the bloomingness
I did not get your point completely here. First, I'm not using LG OLED. I'm using Sony A95K. I'm trying to figure out what I mentioned in my post that talks about LG OLED's panel management that disturbs the experience. Please elaborate. If its OLED we are talking about, I dont think blooming is a problem with OLEDs.

Hello ! Wanted to get your thoughts about my recent purchase of Lg G3 55 inch for 1.4 lakhs . Was getting 65 inch g2 for 1.8 lakhs. Usually sits around 6-7 ft from the screen. Now i am bit regretting that could have gone for 65 g2.

Hello ! Wanted to get your thoughts about my recent purchase of Lg G3 55 inch for 1.4 lakhs . Was getting 65 inch g2 for 1.8 lakhs. Usually sits around 6-7 ft from the screen. Now i am bit regretting that could have gone for 65 g2.
Window to return and go for next bigger size is there?

Window to return and go for next bigger size is there?
Purchased it from reliance digital. I don’t think there is any return window. Also they don’t had 65 inch g2 that time so i went with 55 g3 coz was getting a good deal. 65” one is available with chroma. So i guess have to adjust my eyes now

Purchased it from reliance digital. I don’t think there is any return window. Also they don’t had 65 inch g2 that time so i went with 55 g3 coz was getting a good deal. 65” one is available with chroma. So i guess have to adjust my eyes now
Sit closer and you may like the pixel density edge 55 has over 65".

Sit closer and you may like the pixel density edge 55 has over 65".
If you sit closer, the pixel density advantage goes away as the PPD (pixel per degree) reduces.

You can’t have it both ways. You either have higher pixel density on a smaller screen or you have the higher immersion of the bigger screen.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back