Sony BDP S5100

I guess S5100 doesn't play DivX and DivX HD. Is there any firmware update that enables the player to play DivX/DivX HD?

Thanks,
John.

S5100 plays 3D netflix, which is awesome. I never got this option earlier with my other media players. Also it has played most of the files i have on my pc. It is making my WD live redundant, i am happy with the performance of the player.

S5100 plays 3D netflix, which is awesome. I never got this option earlier with my other media players. Also it has played most of the files i have on my pc. It is making my WD live redundant, i am happy with the performance of the player.

Just wanted to know, are you playing Netflix in India? When I tried to play Netflix it always says "Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country yet".

Just wanted to know, are you playing Netflix in India? When I tried to play Netflix it always says "Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country yet".

You need to have a US DNS to access the same apart from having a netflix account. Also need a hi-speed internet connection preferably 4 Mbps and above speeds with low latency.

There is a separate thread running for the same. Feel free to check the same out.

http://www.hifivision.com/general-l...-amazing-service-can-accessed-india-well.html

The diff between 4100 and 5100 s only inbuilt wifi, i think!

You are right it's almost the same but with upgrades, Quote from What hifi..

"For the extra you get better sound, wi-fi connectivity, DLNA streaming, impressive file support and that eye-catching stealth bomber design."

But i got it cheaper than S4100 in india as a friend brought it for me from US. :)

Last edited:
I guess that is "Patended" by sony players not to play DivX :(

not sure of other high end Sony players but this guy does not take it well...

Where is the option to set audio o/p via HDMI as bitstream? I see only AUTO and PCM. I am using this in conjunction with Onkyo 3300. When I play adds in a Bluray disk, it shows as DD in receiver, but while playing movie, it becomes PCM. Again when I switch the audio option to other languages, it shows as DD.
This player is letting me down, after I bought it with lots of excitement from US.

Guys any idea what is wrong here.

Isn't PCM lossless audio? Whats your worry?

Even if it lossless or not, I want my receiver to decode the audio signal. I assume that in this case, it would display the audio as either DD or DTS from Bluray disc.

Also one more observation, I am not finding any difference in audio from DD / DTS rips played via WD TV Live media player, and original Bluray disks played via bdp s5100. Except that we have additional extras in bluray disk, in which I am not interested

I have ordered through amazon.com and be receiving next week. The player is shipped through amazon global . does it mean it support Indian voltage or I have to go for step down transformer. If yes then which one is recommened.? It is not discussed in this thread . friends shed some light

Thanks

Uttam

I have ordered through amazon.com and be receiving next week. The player is shipped through amazon global . does it mean it support Indian voltage or I have to go for step down transformer. If yes then which one is recommened.? It is not discussed in this thread . friends shed some light

Thanks

Uttam

You will require a step down transformer as it works on 110 Volts.

Maxine 20 W 220 V TO 110 V Step Down Conveter 100 Copper Transformer Based | eBay

You can use the above one, it has got good reviews and would work fine.

How much did you pay for it ? i heard BDP S4100 is being sold at 9K with 5 3D BD's free by sony india ?

Eitherway just be careful or lookout for the Step down "Converter" which is not suitable for electronic units and mostly used for hair dryers, shavers, Juicer / Mixer etc... i have both converter and step down transformer.... you can easily check with the weight... converter is weightless...and not to be used.

As dushie recommended if you get maxine it's well and good....i havn't used it though.

Thanks

Uttam

Bought BDP s5100 from USA. Using it in India. Used a transformer cum converter plug. Works fine. But start up is very slow. Unusually long WAIT time. Does any one else face such slow start up time?

Bought BDP s5100 from USA. Using it in India. Used a transformer cum converter plug. Works fine. But start up is very slow. Unusually long WAIT time. Does any one else face such slow start up time?

I am not sure which BDP player you are comparing it with - is it taking more than 6s to load ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back