Sony Bravia KDL-EX650 - Picture Clarity problem

rajput

Hi,

I bought Sony Bravia LED Full HD 1080P - EX650 model , only 2 days old.
This is my first LED experience, previously i had Onida 29 Inch CRT.

I am totally disappointed with the Sony LED on Picture clarity compared to the old CRT's. I have SD channels (with Tata sky setup box connection).

I have the following problem :
1. Blurred image.
2. The text from the set up box display is broken like the number image in calculator.
3. Minor vertical lines.

All these can be seen when u see it in 2 feet distance.

Please correct me here ,
1. whether this is LED feature
2. Why CRT provides better image compared to LED (technical adv please).
2. Should i change to HD channels.
3. Or something wrong with the TV

Please help.

Thanks,
Rajput.

1. Did you try out ALL adjustments possible in the LED ... possibly, you would have!
2. Something wrong with your TataSky connection .... unlikely!
3. Something indeed wrong with your set .... quite possible!

Ask the seller to send over their guys to do the adjustment thing ......

A representative has come down for installation and demo. When asked he said its wrong to compare the LED vs CRT. He adv me to move to HD connection since SD does not provide 1080p (not sure whether this is true).
But when he played some video songs from his usb, it looks great and there are some sample bravia photos which really looks awsome.

I am unable to convince myself whether the issue with the set or Tata sky sd channel clarity? Does Sony deliver faulty sets bypassing their quality standards?

Your views please.

OMG. You can't compare CRT SD performance vs LED/Plasma SD performance sir :) Even if you a buy a flat panel costing 3.5 lacs - Plasma Panasonic VT50 or Sony HX950 LED they will have much worse SD quality than your Onida CRT.

CRT will no doubt show SD at least 10 times better than any modern flat panel. Full HD TV to watch SD channels only makes no sense, please get a HD connection ASAP to enjoy your Full HD TV.

There is nothing wrong with your TV but you need to change your perception of how HD TV works.

It will never give you a sense of good picture from a SD source. That's because your TV has a fixed resolution which is much higher (Full HD) than your source (SD) and it will try to stretch the picture to fit into TVs own resolution which looks like zoomed blurry image.

Your old CRT Tv has no fixed resolution and it will accommodate the signal as it gets (to the limited level) and will be best for SD source as it matches its resolution. However it will not be able to show Full HD signals as HD TVs (Unless its a HD CRT)

So as suggested by avmaxfan, get up a HD Set top box and look for HD Channels. You will have to gain some patience till all channels goes in real hd.

I operate my Sony 40" LED on a set-top box from the local cablewallah ... to be more specific .. DEN. All channels, be it SD or HD .. come out ravishing. Earlier, I too thought and 'expected' SD channels to not look so good on the LED as in my earlier CRT.

Thanks viper. But my doubt is why LED tv's are hot selling when only limited HD channels are available in the market? Even if I change to HD set-top box, not all the channels are in HD (may be 10-15 channels). Other channels deliver as SD only through HD set-top box. Am i right?

Please don't watch SD content from 2 ft distance. Go to at least 8 ft and see if it is ok.

Hi,

I am totally disappointed with the Sony LED on Picture clarity compared to the old CRT's. I have SD channels (with Tata sky setup box connection).

Perfectly normal.

It's a full HD screen, it's designed to work with a full HD signal. Full HD signal in india is quite bad to begin with, and SD in india is even worse.

Look at the image below to see what your tv has to do in order to present SD content on it's screen.

Here is a high quality SD image that's been stretched to full HD and it's quite bad.

Indian SD is 10x worse than the image below and that worse image is further stretched and mutilated to fit a 1080p screen. It's perfectly normal for SD to look like a puddle of vomit on a full HD screen.

RwVLp.jpg

Why LED tv's are hot selling when only limited HD channels are available in the market?

Because companies are stopping production of non HD televisions.
Because people in India want to achieve greater social status muscle flex.
Because entertainment distribution in India is a profiteering exercise.

Countries like US & Japan have disbanded SD all together for the most part and they're the biggest consumers. We're just backwater income for companies.

Look at all this smart TV advertising everywhere. Smart TV's are crippled in India. Yet people buy because the Indian consumer is ignorant.

The world is moving onto 4k soon. The Aam aadmi of India want to stick to old technology and are resistant of change, so SD signal still dominates and FULL HD is still a farse and too expensive for the working middle class to afford because of lack of mass implementation.

In 2 years you will see 4k resolution TVs entering the market and India will still be running SD.
Because the people in government overseeing the penetration of technology and innovation are old goats themselves who believe in "old is gold". "why do you need full hd?" It's a luxury, *puts huge price on it* - there goes the future implementation of better technologies thanks to a recessive slow changing archaic system.

Last edited:
Thanks viper. But my doubt is why LED tv's are hot selling when only limited HD channels are available in the market? Even if I change to HD set-top box, not all the channels are in HD (may be 10-15 channels). Other channels deliver as SD only through HD set-top box. Am i right?

That's because of 2 main things.
1.People like to adopt newer technologies (like you:)) and there is no harm in it as we need to move on. If the OLED & 4k displays get cheaper in few years people will throw their LEDs and switch to them in no time.

2.Companies want to earn profits and they always advertise as newer technology as better and keep other options out of reach. You go to over any electronics shop and try to find good CRTs. You will not get much.

That's not because people do not want it, that's because companies want people not to want it.;)

SD on HD set top box will be slightly better because its uses digital signal (hdmi) and you have option to watch HD channels as well.

Hi,

I have the following problem :
1. Blurred image.
2. The text from the set up box display is broken like the number image in calculator.
3. Minor vertical lines.

Please correct me here ,
1. whether this is LED feature
2. Why CRT provides better image compared to LED (technical adv please).
2. Should i change to HD channels.
3. Or something wrong with the TV

Please help.

Thanks,
Rajput.

Others have already explained why SD looks bad on flat panel TVs. Have you ever watched a mobile phone clip on a computer screen? The same clip that looks stunning on the 3" phone screen turns out to be rubbish when watched on a 22" monitor. Same goes for SD content. These are not intended for large flat panels and if you watch them at close distance you will definitely see pixelization. Common people believe that an LED TV will enhance picture quality and become disappointed when it turns out this is not the case.

Get HD DTH and Blu-Ray contents if you want to utilize full potential of the TV. Also watch SD channels atleast 8 feet from the TV.

Welcome to the world of fixed resolution panels.:eek:
Five years ago when I was scouting for an LCD/Plasma , I almost vomitted when I saw SD channels on lcds. Now it is far better I should say.
I abandoned my decision and went for a 34 inch 100 kg sony XBR CRT, a display piece .
Nothing beats a CRT for SD.
Now that you have bought the led, invest some money on a BDP and get a decent satellite HD connection. You will slowly stop worrying about SD.

Also, knowing the limitations of a fixed pixel display panel, earlier messages have clearly conveyed them, will reduce the pain of transition from CRT.

Good luck.

There is nothing wrong with your TV but you need to change your perception of how HD TV works.

It will never give you a sense of good picture from a SD source. That's because your TV has a fixed resolution which is much higher (Full HD) than your source (SD) and it will try to stretch the picture to fit into TVs own resolution which looks like zoomed blurry image.

Your old CRT Tv has no fixed resolution and it will accommodate the signal as it gets (to the limited level) and will be best for SD source as it matches its resolution. However it will not be able to show Full HD signals as HD TVs (Unless its a HD CRT)

So as suggested by avmaxfan, get up a HD Set top box and look for HD Channels. You will have to gain some patience till all channels goes in real hd.

Viper,I m having a sony flat 25 inch trinitron crt TV. And I m also having a tata sky HD+, but I never think of 32 inch full HD LCD or LED simply because of picture quality of SD channels on my Sony trinitron. Moreover inspite of having hd connection, 70 % of total Tv viewing is through SD channels. Instead of LCD/LED I m planning to get (if possible) as u also told, HD CRT. But I dont know which models/ Brands are there under this catagory. I have listened that Sony manufactured some time back HD CRT tv ser and with wide screen ( 16: 9) aspect ratio. So, my question is from all members are there any chances of getting this kind of Tv . Please advise me if you have any idea about it.
Thanks in advnce
Regds.

Last edited:
WOW, thanks corelement , Viper and others for your detailed technical explanation.
I wanted to upload the image, I thank Corelement for uploading on behalf of me. This is what exactly i am facing the issue (blurred image when SD viewed in HD LED 1080p).

I agree with you all , we need to adopt to newer technology and need to move on, sad thing is DTH service providers are not hand-shaken with current trends.
So calling Sony customer care wont help i believe.
Since this is my first LED experience, i thought i burned my fingers on investing huge amount on defect set. May be I need to check on blu-ray video contents and see how the quality is. Will keep you posted guys. Thanks.

Perfectly normal.

It's a full HD screen, it's designed to work with a full HD signal. Full HD signal in india is quite bad to begin with, and SD in india is even worse.

Look at the image below to see what your tv has to do in order to present SD content on it's screen.

Here is a high quality SD image that's been stretched to full HD and it's quite bad.

Indian SD is 10x worse than the image below and that worse image is further stretched and mutilated to fit a 1080p screen. It's perfectly normal for SD to look like a puddle of vomit on a full HD screen.

RwVLp.jpg

This is what exactly i am getting.

Even i am having the EX650 and just try watching HD content in it. You will fall in love with the picture quality. Its just amazing. What others are saying is 100% true.

But i have normal cable connection (the normal IEC connector not STB or DTH). But the picture quality is good and i dont face any issues as the OP says.

Is it like the normal cable TV (IEC) resolution has better resolution than SD channels through STBs ? What is the video standard of the normal cable TV (like SD or HD)

Viper,I m having a sony flat 25 inch trinitron crt TV. And I m also having a tata sky HD+, but I never think of 32 inch full HD LCD or LED simply because of picture quality of SD channels on my Sony trinitron. Moreover inspite of having hd connection, 70 % of total Tv viewing is through SD channels. Instead of LCD/LED I m planning to get (if possible) as u also told, HD CRT. But I dont know which models/ Brands are there under this catagory. I have listened that Sony manufactured some time back HD CRT tv ser and with wide screen ( 16: 9) aspect ratio. So, my question is from all members are there any chances of getting this kind of Tv . Please advise me if you have any idea about it.
Thanks in advnce
Regds.

Unfortunately they are no more produced:
There were few CRTs available for India Market.
1) Sony CRT (few models) upto 34" with DRC-MF (Digital Reality creation- Multi Function) XBR models were top of the line.
Image processor similar to now a days 'X-Reality' engine with HD (Also called as Super Fine Pitch)- Sony KV-HR34M91-61 was 1 model.

2)Philips Match Line: These could support HD till 1080i with Pixel Plus engine and was also known for superb PQ. 34PT8322-69R was 1 model.

Both were 100HZ for obvious reasons.
These TVs are outdated quite years back (Even before HD came to India) mainly because of price, weight and non-availability of content. If used now, they will simply best in both SD and HD due to picture depth of a CRT

Finally, i tried with 1080p blu ray video contents. Its amazing. PQ and sound is really excellent. So my conclusion is to change to HD channels and no issue with the set. Thank you all for your guidance.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back