Sony DAV-DZ510/610 Vs. Philips HTS5550/5540

Sudhir Parasuram

Hello, happy new year!

I'm looking to buy a "simple" HTS. Don't have a LCD/LED TV for HD connection yet, however would like to have HDMI output in the player for 'future-proofing'. Not looking for Blu-Ray.

Narrowed down my choices to the following.

Sony
DAV-DZ510 - MRP Rs.19,990 (suits my need)
DAV-DZ610 - MRP Rs.24,990 (can't discern the audio quality difference with the 2 additional tweeters in the tower, however not too far a stretch)

Philips
HTS5540/94 - MRP Rs.23,990 (the lower models without towers don't have component output)
HTS5550/94 - MRP Rs.25,990 (less preferable due to 4 towers)

The sony is attractive in terms of features & price (surprise, surprise) but Im worried about the fact that people tell me that Sony will not play all local discs (Rs.10 onwards). Ive tried local discs @ Sony Center and found them playing to my satisfaction, but still theres lingering doubt. Anyone have first hand experience with Sony HTS?

Any recommendations from the choices above? Or any equivalent in Samsung/LG? Should those even be considered?

Thanks,
Sudhir

Hello, happy new year!

however would like to have HDMI output in the player for 'future-proofing'. Not

What do you mean by HDMI output? If it means HDMI input then Sony/Philips HTIB doesnt have this feature. Philips has optical input in some models which can give surround sound. Review Onkyo 3300, its good

Sony DAV-DZ510 has HDMI out as well as a composite out.

But I would still suggest you to go of Onkyo HT3300

2 reasons

1. Buy a sepeate DVD player ( Any mass market LG / Samsung / Philips) , My Drive of Sony died pretty quickly and it did,nt played all discs when it was operational.

2 Although sound quality is subjective but Onkyo was way ahead of Sony and you will get a entry level AVR in Onkyo.

For current setup you can use onkyo's Component out.

leave sony.... let alone be in use for the video equipment in the house...

lets not use it for audio..

lay your hands on the onkyo -3300.. best deal

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back