Sony EX-520

In that case, it is a pathetic TV.

What an assumption. :yahoo: There are 1k rs mobile phones which has 4 sim cards, has 1000W sound and what now. And you will say 10k android mobile phone is pathetic because it is not having 4 sim card.

You should buy a TV based on the PQ.

If you think that ex520 is an epitome of quality then I salute you. :clapping:

And I maintain that any tv with more than 50k should support ntfs. The comparison with multi-sim phones is a poor comparison.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I created a separate partition-FAT32 but still it remained undetected. I have a 1 TB Seagate External HDD and only 78 GB is free out of 931 GB. I used a partition manager to create a separate FAT 32 partition but in vain.

I am very very taken aback that I spend so much and a simple facility like playing content from external device is so complicated. Can't really say I am impressed with my decision to for Sony. Should've gone for Samsung.

@Seraph, First for all I am really surprised that you selected sony of all things for media playback.

Did anyone recommend you to go fr the sony given your requirements?

There are "more than enough" posts in the forum asking you to go for samsung if media playback is your foremost requirement and sony for "very slightly" better images tending towards neutrality rather than show off.

If you would have read the conserned posts properly, you would have made an informed decision.

What is the use pof buying a TV without knowing its strengths and at the end of the day cribbing about it?

It is VERY hard to live with sony LCD without a media player. Your best bet is a 6k samsung BRD player as companion or one of the media players.

Last edited:
I am enthralled by the discussion here. Sorry couldn't reply sooner.

1) Talking about partition, my 1 TB HD was already formatted in NTFS and now I created another partition in exFAT without formatting the rest. I am not sure if that is causing the trouble.

2) Power Issues -I don't think that'd the case but still I will check.

3) Bad decision to buy - Could be. No point rubbing it in in any way. Its not helping in any way possible. Sorry :) I should've done my research. Yes,but so far except for the USB issue I am quite happy with the purchase. Yes, the fact remains valid that if a product cost >50k then it should cover all these features. Its a typical Indian thinking.

4) Buying a Media Player - I think I will rather go for an HDMI cable for the obvious reasons.

5) As a temporary measure I will use a pendrive and see what happens. I will be following all the instructions and lets hope it works.

Hey seraph here is a link to an app to format 1TB hard disk drive in fat32 format..Fat32Formatter
As you were banging your head cause it's not supporting NTFS..you can took the drive then open disk management under my computer-->device manager then delete the 1 TB partion to make the drive unallocated..then format it using this software to fat32. Works like a charm..
I've tested it using my 1 TB segate portable HDD and oh it's working awesome..it's recognizing the HDD within 5 seconds believe it or not..
This same software is used to format HDD to playback media file via PS3.

Hey seraph here is a link to an app to format 1TB hard disk drive in fat32 format..Fat32Formatter
As you were banging your head cause it's not supporting NTFS..you can took the drive then open disk management under my computer-->device manager then delete the 1 TB partion to make the drive unallocated..then format it using this software to fat32. Works like a charm..
I've tested it using my 1 TB segate portable HDD and oh it's working awesome..it's recognizing the HDD within 5 seconds believe it or not..
This same software is used to format HDD to playback media file via PS3.

I have Sony Bravia KDL 40EX520 TV. I want to play movies & songs from portable hard disk drive through USB port. It is known that this TV
reads only exFAT and FAT32 formats of USB drive.

My problem is, that the TV looks only first partition and I could not find any menu to switch to second partition. For personal reasons I want to keep 2 partitions on the drive. Total capacity of my hard disk drive is 160GB and the two partitions are of size 80GB each.

How can I make this TV see the second partition also?

Sorry it is not possible.
It only recognizes the first partition.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing my doubt (that EX52 series TV can read only first partition of the USB drive).
I bought this TV in May 12 believing that it can play most file formats & look in all partitions. Reason for this? I went to Kolkata in April 12 and stayed in a hotel where 32" size CX32 type Sony TV was fixed. That time I had three partitions in the same USB drive and one was even NTFS (other two were FAT32). I was much impressed to see that it was very conveniently possible to switch to all partitions & play most file formats from any partition (except wmv, mkv, flv).
As EX52 series seemed to be newer (and costlier too), I naturally believed that it will at least give me all those USB features of CX32 series which impressed me and that is why I did not bother to explore about these particular functions of this EX52 TV before buying.
Also what disappoints me that for making the screen OFF it needs several key strokes and time to do that and thus defeats the purpose (power saving) as people tend to avoid this. There should have been a short-cut or a quick button to do that.
I kept on updating firmware whenever available on Sony website but observed no improvements in anything. I also posted these queries on Sony website (wasted lot of time) but got no response.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back