Sony HAP S1. I like this unit

Do note many users have issues with Sony f/w updates bricking their units and Sony also not providing any fix or replacements for out of warranty devices.

For the money, the Auralic Mini is a good unit at budget.

The best I've heard though are the Linn network streamers, but the couple I heard were around $8K and $15K.

The unit is not mine. I just got it home for listening. I have no idea about Sony service levels

Last edited:
I have heard the Linn network streamers. From the little that I can make out from the sound of S1, I will not be surprised if the Z1 is superior to the Linn. The S1 easily put to shame a USD 5000 cd player

Hi

Over the weekend i have been listening to the Sony HAP S1. I really like the convenience and the way it sounds. Extremely musical. New costs USD 1000.

Heres the link

High-Resolution Audio HDD Player | HAP-S1 | Sony UK

Prem, you can beat that sound by putting together a computer yourself at the same cost or less.

My music only computer has beaten Aurender, Resonessence Labs products in the USD 2-4k range.

Though I must admire Sony for bringing such a high-fidelity sound at such affordable price. 2010-2020 is going to be the golden age of digital playback.

I know ranjeetrain. But am too lazy to do all that:)

Even if I go the computer route, I will still need a dac, right?

This is all in one. Makes life simpler, I guess

Prem, you already know a lot about DACs, good ones amongst them :)

I totally agree with the convenience part. In today's hectic life trading convenience with a slight loss of SQ is quite acceptable.

:)

If at all I will be going for the HAP Z1 ES. That's about USD 2000. Looks to be a more serious piece of equipment. Also will have the option of getting the analogue output stage upgraded by either Modwright or Vinnie Rossi. My take is its output stage will be its weakest link

The unit is not mine. I just got it home for listening. I have no idea about Sony service levels

Here is the guy who said that he will not be able to play music on Berning amp due to kids' exams.
Now you are listening on borrowed equipment. This hobby is like an addictive drug :)

Prem, I know you like to go by the recommended approach of a designer whose philosophy strikes a chord with you. But I'd say you should go on a fresh round of getting your head 'round new generation of DACs.

Analogue output stage is a very vital link. In my books, even more important than the "actual D-A conversion part".

Of course one cannot go wrong with someone of Vinnie Rossi's talent.

Prem, you can beat that sound by putting together a computer yourself at the same cost or less.

My music only computer has beaten Aurender, Resonessence Labs products in the USD 2-4k range.

Though I must admire Sony for bringing such a high-fidelity sound at such affordable price. 2010-2020 is going to be the golden age of digital playback.

Any link on the build or configuration?

I've built PCs for over $2000 and they did not deliver for me... very underwhelming performance especially in comparison to CD players in the same budget.

I've tried many including a budget CAPS server. The closest to a CDP in performance was a 2 PC setup of JPlay.

Now I'm running NAS with a front end Pi in wireless mode and I'm happy with it.

Next up is HQPlayer with NAA.

I'm not into Linux otherwise MPD would be an option too.

Coming to Windows I did like the sound of the Bug Head Player... but not an option for endless playlists and/or browsing through huge libraries (I have over 35K files).

Hi Ranjeetrain, any dacs you would recommend. There are two dacs I came very close to buying in the recent past. Was almost at the press button of send payment by PayPal. But chickened out last minute.:) The two dacs were Aqua La Scala Mk 2 and Total Dac

Any link on the build or configuration?

I've built PCs for over $2000 and they did not deliver for me... very underwhelming performance especially in comparison to CD players in the same budget.

I've tried many including a budget CAPS server. The closest to a CDP in performance was a 2 PC setup of JPlay.

Now I'm running NAS with a front end Pi in wireless mode and I'm happy with it.

Next up is HQPlayer with NAA.

I'm not into Linux otherwise MPD would be an option too.

Coming to Windows I did like the sound of the Bug Head Player... but not an option for endless playlists and/or browsing through huge libraries (I have over 35K files).

No idea what you tried. Apparently digital is entering into "snake-oil age" (excuse the phrase). Lots of over priced stuff floating around that do little for the actual sound reproduction. For digital playback, more expensive is not necessarily better. A computer with just about the right amount of computing power for the need is the key. Then you need a software stack that does just sending out the bits. Just the right amount of software, no bloatware. The key in digital playback is in keeping it simple.

Look around, there is a lot of material on computer tweaking available, on this site as well. I had a thread on digital audio as well, easy to find with a bit of search.

Hi Ranjeetrain, any dacs you would recommend. There are two dacs I came very close to buying in the recent past. Was almost at the press button of send payment by PayPal. But chickened out last minute.:) The two dacs were Aqua La Scala Mk 2 and Total Dac

Hi Prem, you had a good hunch on Aqua La Scala. If I have understood correctly, tonal color and timbral accuracy are your top goals. Vintage Mark Levinson, Sonic Frontier sound should be right up your alley. Consonance Opera Don Curzio is also worth a look. Esoteric D-02 another good one. Orpheus Lab Heritage is a two box DAC with a separate power supply box. Interesting dual mono design.

Ranjeetrain, I have owned Levinson 30.5 and 31.5 transport and dac. I personally like the Esoteric better. I had the P70 and D70.

I am looking at modern dacs

I have heard the MBL 1611 and I liked the energy in it's presentation. Also, Weiss Medea+ is a cracking DAC. Very well nuanced and musical.

Cool Ranjeetrain. Thanks. You are giving me expensive options:) Anything that's nice and cheap?

I thought you liked keeping things elegant, sorry :eek:

Exasound E22, Antelope Zodiac Gold, Bel Canto DAC3.5 are all good choices. A bit up the order EMM Labs is good for not too much money.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back