Sony KLV-40S550A

GeoTracks

SONY India website has finally displayed the much awaited KLV-40S550 LCD. MRP on the website is 71.9K.
It is Full HD with Bravia Engine 3, 4 HDMI outputs and also USB 2.0.

The specs look almost similar to the KLV-40V550A/B.

I was looking at V550 and W450 in Ezone. I was surprised to find V550 to be more natural then W450. They were playing from the same HD source. Probably it could be because Bravia Engine 3. Also it is interesting because W series boasts of 100Hz and 10 bit panel technology.

Also there is not much difference between S series and V series even from the Website. Most of the places are not selling 550 series as they are trying to get rid of 450 series.

SONY has just come out with its new 40" S550 series LCD.

The LG LH50 the latest 42" LCD (200Hz Truemotion & 2ms response time) from LG seems to have very impressive specs. CNET etc. sites also speak good about it.

How would this compare to the latest SONY 40S550 series with BE3? The price for these two LCDs is also about the same 66K - 68K +-.

Please post your thoughts on comparision (PQ, specs, build quality, panel quality etc.) of these 2 LCDs.

Has anyone got to see the demo of this new SONY 40" with BE3? I tried last weekend at Croma, but they said that they had not received it yet. Does Ezone or Reliance Digital have these set on display?

How is the PQ etc. compared to the SONY 40V550 which is about 10K more expensive.

I just bought KLV-40S550A and its an amazing .... they have upgraded this model from their initial S 40 series which didnt have USB. only difference from 40V550 (which I could use ) was the looks and its not worth 10k more on V series.

I think there are few updates to old S model.. I could notice few of them.. if you are buying S series.. buy this one.. because few of dealers still have old model and try his best to sell to you.:)

1. BE3 as compared to BE2( old)
2. New firmware which makes navigation amazing.
3. USB 2.0
4. 4 HD ports

Last edited:
I took demo of S,V & W series(40in)
All looks good except SD.Even with W series,I cld see lot of noice.
I played NARNIA DVD directly to all LCD with Composite out.
I even tried upscaled same sceens with HDMI out,they looked very good.

As we go for larger display,judder increases.:sad:

I just bought KLV-40S550A and its an amazing .... they have upgraded this model from their initial S 40 series which didnt have USB. only difference from 40V550 (which I could use ) was the looks and its not worth 10k more on V series.

I think there are few updates to old S model.. I could notice few of them.. if you are buying S series.. buy this one.. because few of dealers still have old model and try his best to sell to you.:)

1. BE3 as compared to BE2( old)
2. New firmware which makes navigation amazing.
3. USB 2.0
4. 4 HD ports

Congratulations! Where did you buy it from? Purchase price?

I just bought KLV-40S550A and its an amazing ....

Hi,
How much did it cost you for this TV ?

To the experts : I checked the specifications for S/V/W series and the 40W550A is a 100Hz panel and no such spec for this S550A. Ideally, as per the site MRP, there is a difference of 20K for S series and the W series on the 40".

Does this have any impact on the viewing from an HTPC with Bluray rips /SD rips etc., or any other issue that this might possibly pose ?

Hi,
How much did it cost you for this TV ?

To the experts : I checked the specifications for S/V/W series and the 40W550A is a 100Hz panel and no such spec for this S550A. Ideally, as per the site MRP, there is a difference of 20K for S series and the W series on the 40".

Does this have any impact on the viewing from an HTPC with Bluray rips /SD rips etc., or any other issue that this might possibly pose ?

well the 100hz is better suited for reducing judder like in 24p movies.it also gives u more life like appearance in animated movies and CGI scenes in movies. all fast motion scenes be it HD or SD will look sharper.but in gaming 100hz does introduce input lag ,the sony motionflow 100hz has very small impact in input lag compared to rival 100hz tech like for eg samsung most have a higher/similar input lag with 100hz "off" then sony with 100hz "ON".

well the 100hz is better suited for reducing judder like in 24p movies.it also gives u more life like appearance in animated movies and CGI scenes in movies. all fast motion scenes be it HD or SD will look sharper.

What exactly is CGI ? Pardon my ignorance but really dint understand. The main reason why i asked is because i would NOT be buying a dedicated DVDP for movies, instead i have pc with Nvidia 9600GT card which has a DVI-HDMI adapter bundled which i am planning to use with an LCD TV. So, I just wanted to know if the 100Hz will actually make a difference in the performance. Well, if it does not make any difference with actually having a 100Hz for the htpc, i might as well consider the KLV-40S550 itself at 71 K as per the website.

Would appreciate your inputs on this.

but in gaming 100hz does introduce input lag ,the sony motionflow 100hz has very small impact in input lag compared to rival 100hz tech like for eg samsung most have a higher/similar input lag with 100hz "off" then sony with 100hz "ON".

I wouldn't worry about the above part since I am not all into gaming of any sort.! :)

What exactly is CGI ? Pardon my ignorance but really dint understand. The main reason why i asked is because i would NOT be buying a dedicated DVDP for movies, instead i have pc with Nvidia 9600GT card which has a DVI-HDMI adapter bundled which i am planning to use with an LCD TV. So, I just wanted to know if the 100Hz will actually make a difference in the performance. Well, if it does not make any difference with actually having a 100Hz for the htpc, i might as well consider the KLV-40S550 itself at 71 K as per the website.

CGI stands for Computer-generated imagery what u see in pretty much every action movie like transformers etc.
yes 100hz will still make a difference whether even if ur run it in a HTPC with GTX285 or any othe media player.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back