Sony or Samsung 4K TV

Finally picked up the SONY 9500G, while the Samsung QR80 was brighter, the skin tones were almost plastic, somehow the colours looked a bit artificial- (I am a current happy Samsung Plasma user). Final cost will come down to 3.59 through a complicated deal with cash back.

P.S : A few Samsung 75NU 7100 is available for 1.4 or a bit lower.

Finally picked up the SONY 9500G, while the Samsung QR80 was brighter, the skin tones were almost plastic, somehow the colours looked a bit artificial- (I am a current happy Samsung Plasma user). Final cost will come down to 3.59 through a complicated deal with cash back.

Thats for 75"?

Is that including cashback+phone freebie? (For nu7100). Surprising that they still have 2018 models available in 75 inches

Is that including cashback+phone freebie? (For nu7100). Surprising that they still have 2018 models available in 75 inches

I was just told that they are available for 1.40.... presume they would come down a bit if pressed. A week back they were offering the RU7100 for 1.60.

Congrats! Buddy that's a Huge TV.
Do post your review once u received & unbox :)

CONGRATS for sony 9500G. Good choice

Thank you, guys . Yes, it is big TV ...even after using a 65" set for the past 6 years. Still getting used to the TV and have not really adjusted any settings- played a few 4K clips that look brilliant. Not very impressed with the HD played via Blu-ray player(Oppo) The TV does not seem to "upscale"any 1080 or lower content- I will be out of town from tomorrow- so all experiments will be on hold.

@jbgude Congrats bro on your new 75" Sony x950G.

Typically, Sony is famous for their upscaling prowess. I've the 55" X900f the colors and picture processing is excellent.

Btw, don't forget to post some pics :)

Folks, I am back home and still getting to grips with the TV. Infortunately, I will be out of town again, so experimentation etc will have to wait. Not overly impressed with the 1080i pics, they are good but not exceptional. Some 4K files however look amazing.
Will be able to play some native 4K content via Blu -ray player soon: hope it will be worth the expense.....soon will need to sell of my ether my Oppo or Panasonic Blu-ray players to make space and funds available!
Posting pics right now is not possible. Please excuse.
Homur, I do not see any reference by SONY regarding the TV upscaling-unlike Samsung. However, their 4KUHD Player, which should arrive next week, does mention upscaling content to 4K, so I am looking forward to that. :)

Last edited:
Folks, I am back home and still getting to grips with the TV. Infortunately, I will be out of town again, so experimentation etc will have to wait. Not overly impressed with the 1080i pics, they are good but not exceptional. Some 4K files however look amazing.
Will be able to play some native 4K content via Blu -ray player soon: hope it will be worth the expense.....soon will need to sell of my ether my Oppo or Panasonic Blu-ray players to make space and funds available!
Posting pics right now is not possible. Please excuse.
Homur, I do not see any reference by SONY regarding the TV upscaling-unlike Samsung. However, their 4KUHD Player, which should arrive next week, does mention upscaling content to 4K, so I am looking forward to that. :)

Yes. Your correct. Sony used to advertise the 4k upscalingon their TVs, But in recent years they only advertising on the picture processing. Anyway, If you take a look at the every review on av forums or reddit threads. the review won't stop without praising the up-scaling. Its not the night and day difference among other TVs, But it is significant. I've compared them myself side by side with Samsung and LG. :)

Congratulations on your purchase. To me, Sony displays are always better than Samsung or LG.

And again - Quality comes at a price

Yes. Your correct. Sony used to advertise the 4k upscalingon their TVs, But in recent years they only advertising on the picture processing. Anyway, If you take a look at the every review on av forums or reddit threads. the review won't stop without praising the up-scaling. Its not the night and day difference among other TVs, But it is significant. I've compared them myself side by side with Samsung and LG. :)
Congratulations on your purchase. To me, Sony displays are always better than Samsung or LG.

And again - Quality comes at a price

I got the 4K player today, and, sadly, to my eyes, there is no difference from the picture transmitted from my Oppo or even Panasonic 1080 players as far as "upscaling" 1080/720 image feature is concerned.

I find it annoying that SONY does not allow us to change the display size of the screen- at times I prefer to have a" full screen" rather than the anamorphic wide screen with blank screen above and below the picture.

I do notice an improvement in the 1080 pics- maybe the TV needs time to settle. I saw this phenomenon a few months ago, on my friend's new 4K LG- we were so upset we called the LG to ask them to take the set back.... they sent their technicans,who found no problems- but in a few days the picture quality improved!

I got the 4K player today, and, sadly, to my eyes, there is no difference from the picture transmitted from my Oppo or even Panasonic 1080 players as far as "upscaling" 1080/720 image feature is concerned.

I find it annoying that SONY does not allow us to change the display size of the screen- at times I prefer to have a" full screen" rather than the anamorphic wide screen with blank screen above and below the picture.

I do notice an improvement in the 1080 pics- maybe the TV needs time to settle. I saw this phenomenon a few months ago, on my friend's new 4K LG- we were so upset we called the LG to ask them to take the set back.... they sent their technicans,who found no problems- but in a few days the picture quality improved!

I find this hilarious. Computer algorithms don't need time to settle. Maybe they just got used to seeing the image. Lel

I find this hilarious. Computer algorithms don't need time to settle. Maybe they just got used to seeing the image. Lel
I saw this myself, so yes, maybe we got used to seeing the picture. BTW Have you ever heard of Speakers needing time to break in ?Do you find that funny as well ?

I saw this myself, so yes, maybe we got used to seeing the picture. BTW Have you ever heard of Speakers needing time to break in ?Do you find that funny as well ?

You're not comparing apples to apples. Speakers break-in is a property of the mechanical parts, and it's one that's contested too. Anyway, a computer algorithm, apart from machine learning ones, which upscaling ones aren't, they perform the same from get go. Upscaling algorithms are decades old! Even 1080p TVs have them. Don't compare hardware to software. I do find your comparison to be hilarious again. ;)

Oppo and Panasonic both have the excellent processing. No wonder you couldn't see any significant difference.

If you want to have the full screen video omitting black bars top and bottom, you can try 3rd party players like MX player/Kodi or VLC on your android tv. But you'll loose the some portion of the image.

Also Up-scaling quality depends on the source as well. It could only upscale to certain level, Else it'll create some artifacts in the picture.

Even some 1 GB 720P/1080p files looks worse on my 55" x900f too. However amazon prime/Netflix looks superb. My sitting position is 8ft from the screen and couldn't tell difference between a Good 1080p rip vs 4k(not HDR) amazon prime/Netflix video. But if it is HDR then its whole different thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure on the part that picture quality getting better over days.

That's called Burn-In Audio and yes sounds better after few days.
For Video, I think the pixels are more settled or may be human eye adjusting.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back