Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (2017 Model)

Yes even i know that and hence was hoping this player would have been the ideal one over the Oppo 203 in almost all features...

Yes, bought it over the holidays. Excellent picture quality and controls. Best part is, it is a universal disc player, so if you have any DVD-Audio or SACD (or plan to get in future), it plays those as well. Plays media on my network as well. Very happy with it. Only small issue is that the remote uses IR, so needs to be pointed straight and also does not work very well from far. Coming from PS3 which uses bluetooth, that is my only complaint. Overall, highly recommend the unit, though price is now $200.

Great! can you please check what is the maximum capacity of External HDD you can connect through USB and does it read H.265 format Video files please.

For anyone in US, or able to get it from there, Best Buy has refurbished units of these for $100 + tax currently. Picked a second one for other room and it works perfectly. Only thing missing was the manual and warranty card. No brainer at this price, IMO.

i bought one about 6 months ago. It was modified to be region free. Very good unit. Used it to replace an old OPPO.

i bought one about 6 months ago. It was modified to be region free. Very good unit. Used it to replace an old OPPO.

Great! can you please check what is the maximum capacity of External HDD you can connect through USB and does it read H.265 format Video files please.

@ Renjith

You also have the Sony 800...could you please share your experience in terms of overall performance and especially provide feedback on movies being played back through external HDD or USB thumb sticks.....does H265 play? As per specs it seems to be covered.

I have not tried H265 file and only tried a thumb drive, not hard disk.
I feel Oppo is better in terms of speed and format support. Oppo played almost all format I have tried.
I didnt try too many things with X800. But again price of Oppo is much higher compared to X800.
Oppo has better build quality but lacks streaming if it is important to you.
So it depends on the person what he want.

Hey guys, I am planning to get this one from US. From the reviews, it seems to be a good one......I can get it for around 150 USD.....Any one has experience on this?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X80...player+4k&tag=ospsearch-20&ascsubtag=TWC16690

-Sukhas
Hi,my 5 months old sony ubx800 plays flawlessly & have connected to my sony hd tv ( sorry no 4k tv yet). Now, comparing to my previous Panasonic 4k player I like the sony pq & sq which i felt a step ahead.The player is not universal as stated by many its A region.i mainly use it to play uhd only but did tested with dvd & Bluray once
If you are looking for an decent 4K player within a budget look no further go for sony ,but do keep in mind there is no Dolby vision availability

Hi,my 5 months old sony ubx800 plays flawlessly & have connected to my sony hd tv ( sorry no 4k tv yet). Now, comparing to my previous Panasonic 4k player I like the sony pq & sq which i felt a step ahead.The player is not universal as stated by many its A region.i mainly use it to play uhd only but did tested with dvd & Bluray once
If you are looking for an decent 4K player within a budget look no further go for sony ,but do keep in mind there is no Dolby vision availability
Does this support 2TB HDD?

I have not tried H265 file and only tried a thumb drive, not hard disk.
I feel Oppo is better in terms of speed and format support. Oppo played almost all format I have tried.
I didnt try too many things with X800. But again price of Oppo is much higher compared to X800.
Oppo has better build quality but lacks streaming if it is important to you.
So it depends on the person what he want.
Did it play H265 file on thumb drive (X800)? how does the quality look?

Tried 2 TB drive I had, and it played files fine from there. No idea if it can handle even larger. Got a test H.265 file and played that from the network, and that played fine too.

Tried 2 TB drive I had, and it played files fine from there. No idea if it can handle even larger. Got a test H.265 file and played that from the network, and that played fine too.

Thanks Sarge_in for your input planing for one was worried about these features, Hope its supports DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos & DTS_X sound track when you play a files from your HDD?

Thanks Sarge_in for your input planing for one was worried about these features, Hope its supports DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos & DTS_X sound track when you play a files from your HDD?
DTS-HD plays fine. I don't have receiver to decode other two, so can't say.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back