sony x85j vs sony x80j

If you can i would say save a bit more and go for an LG B1 or C1,though B1 makes less sense. I am already considering selling this X80J off and buy an LG C1.The chunky bezels are an eyesore and am not liking the tv.I may put it up on OLX this month itself:D:D

If you can i would say save a bit more and go for an LG B1 or C1,though B1 makes less sense. I am already considering selling this X80J off and buy an LG C1.The chunky bezels are an eyesore and am not liking the tv.I may put it up on OLX this month itself:D:D
Wow, that's some serious buyer's remorse!

In case you have not bought that TV yet, take a look at the XR-65X90J.
Its got a excellent VA lcd panel, local dimming (Not as many zones), superb built in audio, excellent image quality and motion handling.
It runs up pretty close to LG's 65B1 Oled but one look at the Sony and you will be sold.

In case you have not bought that TV yet, take a look at the XR-65X90J.
Its got a excellent VA lcd panel, local dimming (Not as many zones), superb built in audio, excellent image quality and motion handling.
It runs up pretty close to LG's 65B1 Oled but one look at the Sony and you will be sold.
I almost got the x90J in early Dec. in fact I had gone prepared to buy it, when the salesman in his enthusiasm, played a scene from a movie showing a dark background, and there was another Sony 75" OLED right next to it - and the "Black contrast" was startling, on the x90J it showed up a dark purple....and put me off !
I have a SONY 75 9500G and am perfectly happy with the "black contrast" ( I was wary about IR so skipped the OLED in19) I went back for the x90J but sadly, the showroom(s) have revised their prices upwards - and refuse to come even close to the price offered in Nov (1.31) -am waiting for the 22 sets and the consequent fall in last years set prices....
On the other hand I may shift abroad in a few months time, so am really wondering if buying a new TV set now is warranted :/

On the other hand I may shift abroad in a few months time, so am really wondering if buying a new TV set now is warranted :/
You have partly answered your own question. If you have 9500g plus are going abroad, this 90j is not a good investment.

You have partly answered your own question. If you have 9500g plus are going abroad, this 90j is not a good investment.
It's not an investment- my old LG LCD, that I use in my bedroom - bought in 2011- had started mis behaving, many of the remote functions were not functioning and I had to manually start/ shut etc.... and inexplicably after a week or so, it is working perfectly again.........

You'd rather wait and buy it once you move.

On that purple backlight you experienced, thats a bit odd.
There is definitely some blooming (not purple in color) from the panel for sure. The zone counts are not in hundreds like many modern oled's. However, having a few hundred zones is rather pointless if the TV can't control all these zones well. Thats why many deploy external processing. The X90J's is superb, in the sense that, even with a very limited number dimming zones, it is able to control them very well.
The detail, color and sharpness levels are outstanding.

I almost got the x90J in early Dec. in fact I had gone prepared to buy it, when the salesman in his enthusiasm, played a scene from a movie showing a dark background, and there was another Sony 75" OLED right next to it - and the "Black contrast" was startling, on the x90J it showed up a dark purple....and put me off !
I have a SONY 75 9500G and am perfectly happy with the "black contrast" ( I was wary about IR so skipped the OLED in19) I went back for the x90J but sadly, the showroom(s) have revised their prices upwards - and refuse to come even close to the price offered in Nov (1.31) -am waiting for the 22 sets and the consequent fall in last years set prices....
i can understand.i too will be moving abroad probably before end of this year.and thats the only reason as to why i was hesitant on spending on the C1.

Posting this to help buyers who may have this tv on their list.

Update:-

This Tv has soap opera effect like many others but the issue is its pretty hard to tune it to get normal effect.if we switch it off or try to manage still u will get judder on fast moving sequences like songs with fast moving camera/shots with say dances etc.We can make adjustments but still its unpleasant to the eyes.

The motion part is what is concerning.next it cud be due to google TV, but it stutters or hangs sometimes.I havent downloaded games or such but still.Other than that theres nothing else i can recall now.Will keep updating this thread as and when i notice issues.

To prospective buyers i wouldnt even suggest x85j.If you have to buy a sony aim for minimum x90j.Below that its crap because i believe if anybody is buying Sony its only for the better PQ than say a comparable samsung TV in that range.

Feel free to pose any queries regarding the x80j.I will try my best to answer them.

Hi! Has anyone purchased the 65" x90j recently in Mumbai. Looking to book it today hoping for a good offer. I'm out of state currently so cannot go directly.
Vijay Sales has it online for around 150. What is the best price I should be looking at & any contacts with someone in a store preferably in south mumbai? Thanks!

FWIW, I'd suggest holding off buying the X90J right now. Sony has been lowering the prices almost every week. I've been tracking 75X90J on Amazon, Vijay Sales, official Sony online store, etc and the price has gone down from 3,00,000 to 2,90,000 to finally 2,75,000 only in the past couple of weeks, and the trend seems to continue. I suspect this will be happening in offline stores as well. Maybe wait for the prices to settle before making a purchase!?

Guys need help/suggestions.

My cousin looking for 65 has restricted his budget strictly to 1L and so very much focussed on X80J which is exact 1L at the moment. I can see X90J is 1.5L so even in best case, getting it anyway below 1.4L seems highly unlikely. what about the middle ground X85J ? Assuming i can push him to spend 10-15k additional, is it possible and better option vs X80J ?

The only other brands he accepts are LG and Samsung. so let me know if any specific reason why any model in them would be a better choice vs X80/85 for the exact same budget i.e. <1L INR. thanks

My cousin looking for 65 has restricted his budget strictly to 1L and so very much focussed on X80J which is exact 1L at the moment. I can see X90J is 1.5L so even in best case, getting it anyway below 1.4L seems highly unlikely. what about the middle ground X85J ? Assuming i can push him to spend 10-15k additional, is it possible and better option vs X80J ?

The only other brands he accepts are LG and Samsung. so let me know if any specific reason why any model in them would be a better choice vs X80/85 for the exact same budget i.e. <1L INR. thanks
I think on two counts. X85 is a VA panel hence contrast would be high compromising on viewing angle over the ips X80 screen plus X85 is 120 hertz panel. But X85j according to a discussion I had with a fmer, it costs much more than X80j.

ICYMI there is an x80j vs x85j comparison earlier in the thread:

Please visit a showroom and do check out the TVs in person. I found the x80j bezel size to be too big, giving it the look of an older generation TV.

I have seen an x85 j and x 80j first hand in shop couple of times as i was really stuck between the two and leaning heavily towards x85j due to it being a VA panel and having better refresh rate and slimmer bezels but watching the same scenes at standard mode drove me to the X80j as i didnt want to spend on the X90j.Had i been staying put in India i would have gone for the LG C1 for sure.

Read my comments above regarding X80J and X85J very clearly.Watch the you tube link i posted.I can 200% assure you the picture difference that you see there is exactly identical if u watch with your own eyes in the shop.

One thing i can tell you for sure.X85J is damn bright.As i have mentioned earlier if u view a video on x80j and x85j side by side u will feel that on x80j its kind of dusk/evening and on x85j it will feel like noon.Thats teh brightenss diff.This is also an issue when it comes to images.It could be the samsung VA panel because what i have hated on Samsung normal LED tcs is that the colours look washed out.It seems like a white something has been pulled over the screen.This is exactly what is there on the X85j as well(the single reason that made me reject the X85J).

Please see my above comments.I have clearly described the pros and cons of each model and i went ahead with x80j only because with I moving out of my home in probably 5-6 months it makes no sense for a costlier X90J or a C1 coz it mainly my niece watching cartoons on you tube.

As an owner of X80j i will suggest you dont go for it.If you are in for a good tv and also Sony you should go ahead with X90J but if thats not an option at all then preferably X80J if you are considering it mainly for the SONY colour reproduction.theres something off about the colour on Sony x85J.

**Remember though that there is black crush i.e., in low lit things(dark parts in a scene) the detail is very low compared to the X85j.Thats due to the same less brightness issue with the X80J**

ICYMI there is an x80j vs x85j comparison earlier in the thread:

Please visit a showroom and do check out the TVs in person. I found the x80j bezel size to be too big, giving it the look of an older generation TV.
exactly.Even my 2013 sony FHD has slimmer bezels and looked really good.This looks like a cheaply made TV with Sony branding.It seems that Sony intentionally is pushing users towards its pricier range by doing such things otherwise theres no justification for the utter mess that is the X80j or even the X85J considering that its SONY.I have never felt so dejected seeing a sony LED at the shop or by seeing the purchased TV at my home.Its an eye sore and even thats an understatement.

They are in effect telling us consumers that either you pay up and buy our 90J or OLED series or just f**k off

Sony has better upscaling usually compared to the other two big boys. But the prevailing colour banding issues with less than their flagship nine thousand series is becoming a known fact. I have 80h its previous model and my family has no issues watching SD content or drama TV series HD content from dth. They even do not like watching these content from an OLED placed in my room as these shows do not need high end TV's.

If you know a thing or two about good TVs then you would start entering the rabit hole of triangular picture quality differences between mid range TV's with value for money advantage over FALD and OLED comprising the other two angles and it would be tougher to decide. Instinctively those who bought 80j for Sony brand and the near entry level price range stand to smile a lot more.

You see Sony 8000 series has Dolby vision atleast. That's an advantage in mid range TV's. And one thing that you could consider is X90j with a 50k extra from 80j or 85j for the sheer resale value. When there is no need for selling off the tv within a few years, 8000 series is better. As you won't get good resale value for 80j or 85j.

(Also be aware that Samsung has not sought for Dolby vision licence for their entire range including their QD mini led ones. Still their PQ is good)

Last edited:

Thanks a lot for all suggestions and advice guys. All comments really helped my cousin to see the plus and minus points of 85 and 80 very clearly and convinced him to increase budget. Finally with the criteria of no TV change wanted for at least next 8-10 years, he went finally for the big leap - X90J

Thanks a lot for all suggestions and advice guys. All comments really helped my cousin to see the plus and minus points of 85 and 80 very clearly and convinced him to increase budget. Finally with the criteria of no TV change wanted for at least next 8-10 years, he went finally for the big leap - X90J
Congratulations.

How much did he get it for?

congratzz...that was one good choice he made

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back